: BMW Dealership Frozen In Time ... Wild Story!!!!

ted tcb
08-12-11, 10:59 PM
This link is for all the BMW lovers on this board, or for those who just like
a good mystery.

Apparently, the owner of this dealership, in my old hometown of Oakville, Ontario,
simply locked the doors in 1988, leaving new inventory locked inside.

There it sits, to this day!
Want a brand new 1988 635csi, or E28?
There are two links.
http://www.endrasbmw.com/10/1988-bmw-dealership-left-untouched/

(http://www.endrasbmw.com/10/1988-bmw-dealership-left-untouched/)http://www.endrasbmw.com/11/abandoned-bmw-dealership-new-pictures-and-speculation/

L (http://www.endrasbmw.com/11/abandoned-bmw-dealership-new-pictures-and-speculation/)ots of pictures with the articles.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/attachment-2.jpg
Here's a sample of the text.

"For some twisted reason we’re all attracted to the mysterious allure of an abandoned building. In Oakville, Ontario there stands a building that for a petrol head trumps even the eeriest of places. At only a stones throw away from our dealership in Ajax, Ontario we’re surprised we haven’t heard about this place before. Sifting through the forums on MaxBimmer (http://www.endrasbmw.com/shiftbar/shiftbar.html?iframe=http://maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78119&highlight=abandoned) we’ve been able to formulate some sort of idea of what has gone on.The story goes as follows. In 1988 the dealer, located on Royal Windsor Drive and operating under the name “Citation Motors”, had his concession license revoked due to unknown reasons. They then moved to Toronto under the name “Downtown BMW” which in 2002 closed up shop. The owner, apparently a well-off German business man, seemed to have no interest in selling the place, or even the inventory, as everything seems to have been left behind in tact. One hundred percent frozen in time is the only description that seems fitting when describing this ultimately interesting place. In the showroom you’ll notice an E28 and 635csi BMW in absolute mint condition. Well, mint may be the wrong word to use as the rubbers have probably given away and the gasoline has made a mess of things inside the mechanical bits. ‘Unused’ may be a better word to describe these twenty-three year old cars. Especially the 635csi, which apparently only has 68 or 6000 kilometers on the odometer, depending on which source you believe. Also note the typical 1980’s showroom interior furnishings, architecture, and design.
Around the back you’ll find the shop, which in similar fashion to the showroom has remained completely untouched. Frozen in time and packed with BMWs. From one individual’s account who’s had the privilege of visiting the dealership we can conclude with a certain degree of confidence that another mint dark blue 635csi, a 1984-77 733i, a dolphin blue E21 or 2002, and another 635csi on a hoist, rest inside. You can make out what other cars are back there by carefully analyzing the pictures below. The Toyota 4Runner may not be original 1980’s, but the three sets of keys on the wall certainly are.
Rumor has it that once or twice a month an individual in a black E28 pulls up and spends some time in the back. Apparently the owner once quoted someone who was interested in the white 6 Series a price of $75,000. That was about five years ago. Adding to the mystery that surrounds this dealership, many have come forward claiming to know the owner, yet none of their stories seem to match up.

Destroyer
08-12-11, 11:24 PM
Wow! Thanks for posting this. Too cool. I wouldn't think something like this was possible. That 635 will be worth big money. I wonder if it will start? :hmm:

thebigjimsho
08-12-11, 11:26 PM
An unused 6 series? :drool:

Playdrv4me
08-13-11, 01:24 AM
Now if only we could have frozen BMW itself at the same time.

mberisha
08-13-11, 05:23 PM
Wow! Thanks for posting this. Too cool. I wouldn't think something like this was possible. That 635 will be worth big money. I wonder if it will start? :hmm:

Well...it's a BMW....I think you answer'd your own question......

Night Wolf
08-13-11, 05:47 PM

It's an 80s BMW. You can wreck it but you can't wear it out.

Totally awesome!

ted tcb
08-13-11, 09:59 PM
I sent this article to a friend who used to manage Budd's BMW in Oakville.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/attachment-18.jpg

Apparently, the owner lost his BMW franchise in the eighties (Citation Motors), and BMW awarded the franchise to the Budd family, who operate a BMW store to this day.

This guy simply locked up the store, walked away, but still owns the building and all the cars and fixtures
locked up inside.

Someone like Rick or Gary would be a kid in a candy store if they were allowed to roam the building.

ThumperPup
08-13-11, 10:27 PM
omg wow i wonder why this guy lost his franchise license he must have doen something really bad
and wow why would they just lock up and not try to sell them off or antying wow

brandondeleo
08-13-11, 10:28 PM
I would love to go exploring that place. :yup:

ThumperPup
08-13-11, 10:38 PM
if it has sat this long chances our it will sit untill he dies then who knows what but thats probalby the best chance anyone has to gettting any of those cars in there

Night Wolf
08-13-11, 11:23 PM
On that e24, the grille slats were originally black, wonder what the story is behind the body color. It also looks like it has BBS RS wheels, which are mega bucks!

Yes, roam the place would be cool. It'd be really neat to see the shop, tools, test equipment... it'd be like the grown up version of my driveway!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-14-11, 12:09 PM
My biggest question is why nobody has ever broken into the building over the last 23 years? Not that I would or anything, but it just seems too easy...

That is a very neat find though. By the looks of it, that dealer wasn't more than 10 years old when it shut down. It has a very light, airy feeling to it, which was prevalent in the early to mid '80s. Across the Twin Cities, there's a large Chevy franchise that was initially built in 1966, but somehow remained mostly unchanged through the last 45 years. The interior still has lots of that classic '60s era dark stained wood trim in the ceilings, lots of recessed florescent lighting, and the big "curtain wall" glass windows overlooking the showroom.
Main showroom
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Default 2/IMG_3176.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Default 2/IMG_3177.jpg

Lower showroom. This sits empty now, but I remember going here in the early Spring of '98, when my parents bought their '97 Lumina, and this showroom was FILLED with Corvettes. C3's, C4's and the new C5's.....wall to wall.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Default 2/IMG_3175.jpg

brandondeleo
08-14-11, 12:11 PM
It wouldn't be wise to try and steal one of those. Lol. "Look for the 80's 6 series that looks brand new." You just caught your guy.

ThumperPup
08-14-11, 05:26 PM
throw some mud on it first maybe some washable paint and then drive lol

just saying if i had a plan to break in there and steal a 80s 6 series in better then mint still new
it would be on its way to a chop shop
just saying

Playdrv4me
08-14-11, 09:13 PM
Chad, from my understanding that BMW dealership actually closed sometime in 2002. I suspect those old BMWs were just there as interesting floor displays and have remained there ever since. So realistically, the lot has only been sitting abandoned for about ten years. That also explains why the cars are still in a relatively usable and clean state (tires not completely deflated etc.). And if you think about it, in a place of temperature extremes like Canada, what better place to leave those cars than a showroom protected from the elements.

Also, Donovan Cadillac/Buick/GMC Truck here in Wichita (I'm sure you've driven past it when you came down to BG meetings, or maybe you didn't go that far west) has that damn near IDENTICAL floor layout to the one you pictured above, also basically unchanged. I suspect they've been there for ages, because their slogan has always been "Take the Donovan drive!". Well, it's not a "drive" anywhere anymore, it's right in a heavily developed area of town now.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-14-11, 10:46 PM
Oh, I thought it closed sometime in 1988 or 1989.

That Chevy dealership I pictured was supposed to be eliminated per GM's request, but they were reinstated last year. Per the reinstatement guidelines, their facility will be renovated following GM's regulations in the near future. I've got a few other GM dealer accounts that are getting their renovations this summer/fall.

Playdrv4me
08-14-11, 11:54 PM
Yeah I think Donovan lost and then somehow regained Cadillac, or maybe all of their GM franchises. I seem to remember them running some kind of "we're back" campaign a while ago.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-14-11, 11:58 PM
I've got pictures of that dealership from 1988 with "come see the new Corsica & Beretta" written in paint pen on the showroom windows. The appearance hasn't changed much since then.

The-Dullahan
08-15-11, 03:29 AM
It may be my knack for happening across abandoned buildings, but this is nowhere NEAR the first time this kind of thing has happened. Yes, it is the first one in Canada I have heard of (Don't regularly visit the place) and it is the only BMW one I have heard of (I live in Florida, every second car is a BMW) but what is more interesting is when you find the buildings that were operational until the eighties but have seventies or even a fifties model sitting on the showroom.

Also, breaking and entering is not illegal unless you actually get caught. Urban Explorer Motto # 104

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-15-11, 07:17 PM
Also, breaking and entering is not illegal unless you actually get caught. Urban Explorer Motto # 104

And that's how I got to spend a saturday afternoon in the "not quite abandoned" Brookdale Center. :)

5/8/10: A few friends and I found out it was soon to be shut down, so we entered and walked around for a bit. A few stores were still open for business, and the mall's concourses were fully open and had a few scattered individuals in them, otherwise everything else was closed.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Default%202/IMG_1935.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Default%202/IMG_1961.jpg

Same view as of yesterday, 8/14/11.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Default%202/2011-08-14_13-48-33_635.jpg

That's the same entrance I was looking at in the first picture.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Default%202/2011-08-14_14-00-24_733.jpg

I love watching demolition.

ThumperPup
08-15-11, 07:35 PM
there is a mall here in cleveland called randal park i think its been empty for a year now there are still a few things in there but no more mall there is a tech school there for auto motive and power sports thats it
it started dieing out about 10 years ago

right next to it is a old holiday in my dad always told me how he remember having his HishSchool Prom at that hotel next to the mall and i remember when my grandfather and i used to go to the race track to watch the horses ever since i was like 10 or 11 years old that places has been shut down from what i can remember so 20 years a old hotel has been shut down and closed up and last i heard homeless where sleeping in there from what i heard from a homeless person is for a long time it was a homeless town type thing they turned it into not really a town but the homless turned it into a town then the cops shot that down but still they are in there and he said the beds and all eveyring from the hotel was left they just shut the doors boarded the windows and left

thebigjimsho
08-15-11, 08:51 PM
I love watching demolition.Not the original Boston Garden. They built the new one less than a foot from the old. So, to demolish it, they had to slice it down like bread. They stopped halfway through for about 4 months. While it was fascinating to look at, it was very sad seeing the intimate parts of the building where so many championships took place just exposed to the elements. And it was right off I-93 so I'd see it multiple times a day...

thebigjimsho
08-15-11, 08:56 PM
From this amazing piece of history...

http://sporttales.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/old-boston-garden.jpg

to this...

http://theflyinglyon.com/Sports2009/images/4,Boston%20Garden%20Demolition.jpg

brandondeleo
08-15-11, 08:57 PM
I have NO personal connection with that. I don't even like basketball... yet that picture makes me a little sad.

ThumperPup
08-15-11, 09:03 PM
I remember the old Colosseum where the Cleveland Cavaliers also now know as the caves played for most of there life if not all of it until they moved into down town cleveland
we had season tikets and a loge for over 20 years from what i could remember My father and my Mom's Uncle shared them untill they moved downtown
but that colosseum was empty for many years they first started saying they would build it into a mall then they said something about a possible prison houseing nothing ever turned out of it that i can remember

thebigjimsho
08-15-11, 09:11 PM
The original Garden was amazing. Much more than the constantly changing Fenway ever could, you'd walk in there and feel encompassed by history. It was so old, so tight, so hot, so smelly, yet was such an amazing place to watch a sports event. Those front row balcony seats were among the most amazing in sports.

Aron9000
08-16-11, 01:18 AM
I've never understood why we need to tear down old pro sports facilities to build new ones that seat the same number of people. Especially considering how high they've jacked ticket prices up to build these new wunder domes.

orconn
08-16-11, 02:32 AM
They need to build the new stadiums, etc. to be able to accommodate the "luxury" boxes and suites which are sold to corporations for big bucks. It has nothing to do with making things better for the regular fan.

mberisha
08-16-11, 03:47 AM
there is a mall here in cleveland called randal park i think its been empty for a year now there are still a few things in there but no more mall there is a tech school there for auto motive and power sports thats it
it started dieing out about 10 years ago

right next to it is a old holiday in my dad always told me how he remember having his HishSchool Prom at that hotel next to the mall and i remember when my grandfather and i used to go to the race track to watch the horses ever since i was like 10 or 11 years old that places has been shut down from what i can remember so 20 years a old hotel has been shut down and closed up and last i heard homeless where sleeping in there from what i heard from a homeless person is for a long time it was a homeless town type thing they turned it into not really a town but the homless turned it into a town then the cops shot that down but still they are in there and he said the beds and all eveyring from the hotel was left they just shut the doors boarded the windows and left

Wow....Randall Park Mall.....I haven't heard that in about a decade.....

ThumperPup
08-16-11, 09:52 AM
They need to build the new stadiums, etc. to be able to accommodate the "luxury" boxes and suites which are sold to corporations for big bucks. It has nothing to do with making things better for the regular fan.

and ones one team in that city gets a new stadium guess what
every other team that playes wants a new stadium or arena for them selves
thats what happend here in clevlenad first the gund arena after that then the idians had to have a new stadium oh and then after that was the jerk face that owns the browns art modell he wanted a staidum city refused at first he moved to boston wher ethey gave him a new one jerk head cough cough
then the new starter team got a new stadium so no one left to complain wait another 20 years they will be doing it all over again

ThumperPup
08-16-11, 09:57 AM
Wow....Randall Park Mall.....I haven't heard that in about a decade.....

are you from cleveland or did you come visit here and find the mall one day how does one all the way in Germany know about the Mall wich happen to be one of the biggest indoor malls shopping centers ever built
even till the day when it closed up
it was still know as one of the biggest
in the 70s when they built it the owner of the mall also built the hotel next to it
well he sold the mall 20 years latter but never sold the hotel next to it
2 years after that mall opend then beachwood place wich is next to wear i live opened and that is when randal park started to go down hill
only reason anyone belives the old hotel is still standing is because the city can not find and is having trouble tracking down the owner of the hotel itsl ike he has disapered for the last 20 years
they would have taken it by immanent domain by now but only reason they have not done that to this eye sore is because randal park mall is crappy
I remember i was there at the movie theatre not the magic johnsoon one wich was a total flopp
but the original theatre the last day it was open they shut down when someone started shoot in the move i was watching really this dude just got un happy at the movie and shot at the screan

but yup that mall used to be one of my playing grounds it was nice i think the last time i remembr it being really nice was in 1998 maybe

mberisha
08-16-11, 10:00 AM
I grew up on E.55th & Broadway.....

Concur w/your assessment....after about 1999....one needed body armor to go through there.....place went DOWNHILL quickly....

BTW...I remember hearing about the shooting in the theater.....craziness!?

ThumperPup
08-16-11, 01:00 PM
I grew up on E.55th & Broadway.....

Concur w/your assessment....after about 1999....one needed body armor to go through there.....place went DOWNHILL quickly....

BTW...I remember hearing about the shooting in the theater.....craziness!?

yeah that was like totaly wake i know 2 of my friends i was with jump up with there pipe in hand ready to shoot when then 1 other jump up started shooting because he thout someone was trying to kill him
and then security and police came running in guns in hand that was wack i tell you but eveyrone heaard about it thats for sure
that same day the movie theatre just shut down i miss that old theatre it was kind of nice in there

Yeah i grew upin the burbs but alll my friends where down from 79th so we would hag out at the mall all the time
yeah body armor is what you needed after 99 thats for sure lol

so what took you back to germany ?