: How does this tire make you feel?

mstrjon32
08-12-11, 12:02 PM
How does this make you feel? I rotated my tires last week and discovered this on the left rear tire, all the others were fine. I moved it up to the front with the rotation, but it was definitely already like this before I moved it. Never really seen anything like this before...any one have any thoughts? Should I replace it? Keep running it (keeping in mind that much of my driving is north of 120 mph)? It certainly doesn't look like an alignment problem...is the tire defective? A result of abuse on the track? This type of damage is all the way around the tread, some of the chunks are bigger than others...

Any insights appreciated.

Twitch
08-12-11, 12:09 PM
The chunks look pretty uniform. I would think you ran over something. They don't look that bad to me. I'd keep an eye on this tire and the tire that rotated into the spot this one used to be in.

Faber
08-12-11, 12:17 PM
Any chance that within the other wheel well you have a sharp edge sticking down that it could have impacted upon compression of the shock?

thebigjimsho
08-12-11, 01:55 PM
What am I looking at? The tiny gouges on the innermost tread blocks? If so, I'd keep an eye on it but wouldn't worry much...

UnsafeAtAnySpd
08-12-11, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't worry either.

Dan_Gurney
08-12-11, 04:34 PM
It makes me feel like i'm running in a field of flowers, the sun is shining... oh wait... not what you were looking for...

thebigjimsho
08-12-11, 09:46 PM
kittens and bunnies

DDS rollin a CTS
08-12-11, 10:20 PM
Makes me wonder where you're doing "much of your driving"...

mberisha
08-13-11, 01:06 PM
Most of the backroad twisties we hit are pretty rough......

My buddy in the R/T today said it felt like going over railroad tracks on a lot of the sections.....needless to say....in the V it just feels like a mildly rough road.....the V is an amazing all-around cruiser.....and the R/T will stay with AutoBahn holeshots......

mberisha
08-13-11, 01:08 PM
Looks like it's time to buy some summer performance tires....

JFensty
08-14-11, 08:45 PM
Thread jack. How does the V hold up against the R/T?

mberisha
08-15-11, 02:35 AM
Thread jack. How does the V hold up against the R/T?

No comparison.....I had bigger hopes for the R/T since I heard so many great things about them.

When he was following me on the twisties the R/T looked like the sedan in the Beastie Boys "Sabotage" video.....seriously....the body roll was out of control....I found myself at about 65% throttle just so he wouldn't wreck. I figured the R/T was a more a "straight-line" car....but this was unbelievable.

However....the acceleration was decent on the R/T from a 40mph roll for about 1-2 seconds.....but that's about it. Also....over 120mph+ on the AutoBahn the R/T floats like a battleship....it's simply scary.....seriously feels unsafe.

I'd say the only thing the R/T and the V have in common in Germany....is the amount of heads we turn as we pass people......that's it....

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/416644/original/beastie-boys--sabotage.jpg

thebigjimsho
08-15-11, 09:37 AM
Yeah, when you poasted pics of the V having to sit in the same garage as the R/T, I was like "meh".

Castro
08-15-11, 12:02 PM
Drive through any smelting plants lately? It looks like you ran over something very hot or wheelhopped in a sharp pothole maybe. Not bad though it's in the meat of the tread.

Sullyfx
08-16-11, 09:38 PM
Check the DOT date on that tire and compare it to the others. My guess is its much different. What is the make? Sometimes when raw materials go up in price the manufacturers will supplement it with other compounds.