: Any update on wheel clicking?

King335i
08-12-11, 07:12 AM
It's about time to bring up this issue again: are there any updates on a fix for the wheel clicking from GM?

The last thing I heard straight from GM corporate is that they spoke with the engineers that worked on the car and that they are aware of the issue, but have no fix for it. This makes the V more disappointing day-by-day. Has anyone heard any news on the subject?

Cub Cadet
08-12-11, 08:42 AM
Why not just remove the wheels, clean the mating surfaces, apply never-sieze, re-mount wheels, and torque the lug nuts properly? This fixes the issue.

mannyz
08-12-11, 09:57 AM
I dont know how you can live with it. I couldnt stand hearing that click. I fixed it myself, never came back.

JOEYCTS-V
08-12-11, 10:43 AM
^^^^ What they said.

Mine has been clicking lately but I've just been too lazy to do it. I should have time within the next few days.

King335i
08-12-11, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't be able to do that myself, no matter how simple it really is, because I don't have the necessary tools. I know. But the wheels have been taken off, all mating surfaces cleaned, and then torqued properly about 4 times now (3 times at the dealership, and once by my buddy who owns a private BMW shop), but the clicking always returns. The only reason I haven't tried the never-seize route is because all the people who would help me do this don't want to put anti-seize anywhere near the mating surfaces, all have stated that they feel this is dangerous and just asking for trouble, especially at high speeds. Could you detail how exactly you applied it? Also, any particular brand or type of anti-seize you would recommend?

King335i
08-12-11, 11:14 PM
I can't live with it mannyz! lol

Someone posted a fix they did themselves with some gasket material cut out to the shape of the hub, wasn't that you?

baabootoo
08-13-11, 01:11 AM
If the lug nuts are torqued properly, there won't be any danger at all. Secondly, go to an automotive parts store and look for anti-seize. It will probably come in a small tube, be a silver-looking paste, and only cost a few dollars. You WILL need an accurate torque wrench good to 160 ft/lbs though.

e6t
08-13-11, 01:16 AM
i was told by the chief cts engineer that the fix is two piece brembos and that they would be shipping sometime in the near future.

that was 4 months ago, i believe.

King335i
08-21-11, 06:26 AM
Does it bother anybody else that Cadillac owners have to resort to applying anti-seize and home made shims made out of gasket material in their own garages to fix this problem? I cannot believe GM has still not addressed this issue. How can the GM engineers not have a fix for this? As there certainly does exist a class of affected owners on here, not to mention the countless owners that are not members of this forum, this is a potential class-action lawsuit for GM. All I want is a damn fix so I can love my car again, I am literally days away from buying a 2012 GT-R over this issue, which is stupid because I would love to keep the V coupe but I can't live with a $70,000+ luxury sports car that sounds like cheap crap. It is literally embarassing.

MReiland
08-21-11, 07:34 AM
I believe I have heard they are trying a host of different fixes, the problem doesn't appear to affect all cars, and I think they want to be sure of this fix in the long term as the redesign on the front wheels didn't cure the problem. They have not forgotten about this problem. One known fix is the 2 piece rotors which are available, but that isn't the answer that you all are looking for. If I hear anything I will try and get more info.

Dale Pittman
08-21-11, 09:10 AM
I had the clicking show up recently on 3 of the wheels. The fix was to just tighten the lug nuts a bit and the clicking went away. Might have to go above the recommended torque amount a bit, but it worked for me just fine. No more clicking.

I would recommend trying this before taking the wheels off and doing any other kind of more extensive fix.

Kluch
08-21-11, 09:49 AM
I believe I have heard they are trying a host of different fixes, the problem doesn't appear to affect all cars, and I think they want to be sure of this fix in the long term as the redesign on the front wheels didn't cure the problem. They have not forgotten about this problem. One known fix is the 2 piece rotors which are available, but that isn't the answer that you all are looking for. If I hear anything I will try and get more info.

Can you please explain how the 2-piece rotors aren't the answer we are all looking for? Sounds like a decent solution to me. I just had the TSB done last week and guess what? My front wheels just started to click again. I am going to ask about these rotors when i take my car back next week unless there is a reason not to?

FLTRI
08-21-11, 03:12 PM
Newbie Questions...

1) What causes the clicking?
2) What does TSB stand for that I keep reading about...

jft69z
08-21-11, 03:39 PM
Newbie Questions...

2) What does TSB stand for that I keep reading about...

1) They don't know..
2)Technical Service Bulletin - Issued by GM to address a variety of vehicle/customer issues and problems to help the dealer techs & shops repair the problem. Most of the time it has pretty detailed procedures, part numbers & labor times to correct the specific problem.

FLTRI
08-21-11, 04:02 PM
Ah, thank you...

King335i
08-21-11, 05:05 PM
Can you please explain how the 2-piece rotors aren't the answer we are all looking for? Sounds like a decent solution to me. I just had the TSB done last week and guess what? My front wheels just started to click again. I am going to ask about these rotors when i take my car back next week unless there is a reason not to?

I already asked my dealership about the 2-piece rotors, they had no idea what I was talking about. Hell, GM Corporate office had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned the potential fix to them!

e6t
08-21-11, 09:46 PM
Funny... I was told quite a while ago that they were coming soon!

King335i
08-21-11, 11:22 PM
I wish GM would take care of their customers. No wonder they have a global reputation of being a crappy, lackluster company that makes (generally) crappy cars. If this 2-piece rotor is the fix, then why isn't Cadillac offering it to those of us afflicted with the problem? It would sure as hell be nice to save the $30,000+ I'm about to spend to get in to a '12 GT-R...

Did you hear that Cadillac?

GM should consider themselves lucky to have an individual like MReiland on their team, he seems like a really stand-up guy, and has tried to help me on this issue which I appreciate to a very great extent. I just want my V fixed already, so tired of dwelling on this problem. I mean, what other car can anyone on here name that comes from the factory with such an issue? If you choose to ignore it or live with it then you're in denial, if you choose to acknowledge it and attempt to get it fixed then you are SOL because there is no official fix as of now. What is a paying customer left with? This really sucks..

roarkb
08-22-11, 12:03 AM
The new wheels that GM provide per the TSB solved this problem for me. See many earlier threads. It was so long ago that I had forgotten this problem ever existed.

The 2 piece rotors are out there and available from GM if you want to go that way, however, they are not provided as part of the TSB. They have been for available for quite some time now and while they are a little expensive, they are a whole lot cheaper than trading cars.

I just sold my Mercedes C63 and I drove a BMW M5 till I got my V. The service on both of these cars was excellent, as is my Cadillac Service. Both of these cars were great! But both of these cars had as many or more (especially the BMW) problems with quality as has the V.

As for me and the V... I have now had the V longer than any performance car I have ever owned, had less problems, and a hell of lot more fun! I don't plan on selling the V. More likely to buy another one, which would be very unusual for me as well.

As for me and the clicking problem, it is solved.

King335i
08-22-11, 12:18 AM
The new wheels that GM provide per the TSB solved this problem for me. See many earlier threads. It was so long ago that I had forgotten this problem ever existed.

The 2 piece rotors are out there and available from GM if you want to go that way, however, they are not provided as part of the TSB. They have been for available for quite some time now and while they are a little expensive, they are a whole lot cheaper than trading cars.

I just sold my Mercedes C63 and I drove a BMW M5 till I got my V. The service on both of these cars was excellent, as is my Cadillac Service. Both of these cars were great! But both of these cars had as many or more (especially the BMW) problems with quality as has the V.

As for me and the V... I have now had the V longer than any performance car I have ever owned, had less problems, and a hell of lot more fun! I don't plan on selling the V. More likely to buy another one, which would be very unusual for me as well.

As for me and the clicking problem, it is solved.

I have the "updated" wheels as well, but as many others have noted, the new wheels don't always fix the problem. I'm glad to hear they did the job for you, but for others on here, and myself, the new wheel design did not fix the clicking.

I haven't forgotten about the clicking because because I hear it every time I drive my "New Standard of Luxury" car.

MReiland
08-22-11, 07:18 AM
Newbie Questions...

Engineering has posted here already the clicking comes from the interaction of the back of the wheel and the brake rotor hat mating surfaces, there are some microfine grooves from the manufacturing of both that somehow cause the clicking. That's all I know/have heard.

dhpro
08-22-11, 09:44 AM
I just had the dealer do the TSb about 10 days ago...so far so good. That said, I would have expected GM to have long ago either changed rotor manufacturers/process/design or wheel/rotor surface friction? Why didnt my dealer do this TSB before I picked it up?

JOEYCTS-V
08-22-11, 10:27 AM
Why didnt my dealer do this TSB before I picked it up?

That's a GREAT question. You would think if they know there are certain issues why not resolve them before the car is driven off the lot?!

RapidRob
08-22-11, 06:45 PM
^^^ - Because some new v2's have the clicking problem, and some don't, is my guess. I had the problem when I took delivery, and had the, "new wheel ...", TSB done ASAP. So far, all is good thousands of miles later.

Rob

King335i
08-23-11, 04:25 AM
I can't wait for a fix. I was about to purchase a '12 GT-R, but I have cautiously renewed faith in GM for some reason. I really hope this gets resolved fast, I had big plans for this car!

js615
08-23-11, 04:54 PM
The TSB lasted me about 1900 miles.

WagonGuy
08-24-11, 10:45 PM
I have 5,700 miles on my 2011 v-wagon...just noticed the clicking noise the last few days when driving slow and the wheels are turned. Taking it into dealership tomorrow...I am a newbie to this forum and have readup on clicking issue. Found the TSB on edmunds.com site for 2009 cts-v sedan; nothing on v-wagon (yet...). I have read quick fixes for some and others with continued issues. Hope I have a quick-fix problem!

JOEYCTS-V
08-25-11, 12:01 AM
I finally found time to do the anti-seize and 158 ft. lbs. torque trick last week and it worked great.

WagonGuy
09-01-11, 11:57 PM
Dealer fixed issue; cleaned surfaces and no clicking. I hope it holds out.

mrl859
09-02-11, 01:31 AM
What if you just torque to 158?

supratovcoupe
09-02-11, 02:46 AM
My TSB done 1 month ago so far so good
They did the Front & Rear 11 Coupe 7K

Z06ified
09-02-11, 02:33 PM
The revised wheels fixed the clicking on my front wheels for my '10 sedan, but now the rears are clicking when going from forward to reverse, or going from accelerating to braking. When I had the fronts done, the revised wheel design TSB was only available for the front wheels - do you know if they have the revised wheel design for the rear wheels too? If so, does anyone have the TSB number for the rears?

Thanks!