: Daughter just ran out of gas....

lincolncadillac
08-11-11, 08:09 PM
Every time i let one of my kids drive my 90 ( i let them drive the 89 on a regular bases ), something always happens.

Not her fault because my electronic display says 3 tick marks until empty.

Its seems to be getting worse when i first got the car the guy told me it would be empty at 2 ticks ( which i foun out the hard way).

sven914
08-11-11, 09:12 PM
Takes a lot of courage to let some one else drive your Cadillac...

lincolncadillac
08-11-11, 09:53 PM
Takes a lot of courage to let some one else drive your Cadillac...

Yah, even stressed when the wife is driving my 90.

She treats and drives her car like Crap...LOL

outsider
08-11-11, 10:06 PM
i let my girlfriend take my cars all the time. hehe.
Sucks about the display being wrong..seems to be common on those digital displays. my 95 does it too.

mjs182004
08-11-11, 11:06 PM
That sucks, My 91 is very accurate. The one time I was on my way home from my sisters and figured I could make it to the gas station right by my house. Towards the end I for sure thought I was gonna run out. I only had 1 tick mark left and the low fuel light came on, also I was still a five miles away. It seems like at the end of the tank the gas gauge drops faster for some reason. anyways I was 2 miles away and the low fuel light started flashing and there was no more tick marks left. lol, didn't even know it had that feature. luckily I made it there and fill her up with 24.2 gallons.

The-Dullahan
08-13-11, 04:17 AM
See why I hate Digital displays? Well, that and I really loathe the colour of them. Eeecccccch...In fact, if my work truck had a digital one (It's all fancy and electronical, but not digital and uses a needle on every gauge) I'd totally butcher the console to remove it.

pompste
08-13-11, 06:41 AM
I`ve got a regular gauge on my '78 Deville and a digital readout on my '95 Deville.Normally i don`t like digital displays but the one on my '95 is simple---just tells numbers of gallons left.It holds 20 gallons and i rarely let it get below 6 gallons since who knows how much crud is at the bottom of the tank.I don`t let my '78 get below 1/4 tank for the same reason.
I don`t understand how some people can run out of gas,unless the gauge/display is`nt working right,even then there are common sense workarounds.I`m 53 years old and have never run out of gas ever in my lifetime.That being said,if i`m still around in my senior years and things get less efficient between my ears,all bets are off.
Last year when my '78`s gas gauge did`nt work because of a loose connection---i just used the trip odometer and some common sense to figure how much gas i had until i fixed the problem.

lincolncadillac
08-13-11, 08:12 AM
I love the look of the digital readout, wish my 89 had one. looks alot more luxurious and modern on these old school cadillacs ( i like the contrast in style )

Some times i want gauges ( especially temperature and oil pressure )

I also am one of those guys who dont like to get below a quarter tank.

HUF
08-13-11, 11:57 AM
Fill it up, reset the trip meter, tell your kids refill as soon as it reaches say 300 miles. Do it EVERY time you refill her. That way they will never run out of gas even if it displays FULL all the time. :)

HUF
08-13-11, 12:03 PM
It holds 20 gallons and i rarely let it get below 6 gallons since who knows how much crud is at the bottom of the tank.
When I dropped the tank of my 1991 Seville to replace the straps a few years ago, the tank was superclean inside. Like new. I was even surprised. Looks like gas reservoirs at gas stations are very good nowadays.

robb257731
08-19-11, 09:08 AM
My 91 is empty at 2 bars...which I found out the hard way as well. No 'low fuel' light went off as the car sputtered and died. It's getting worse as time goes by.

MoistCabbage
08-19-11, 09:24 AM
^^^ Fuel level sending unit.

The-Dullahan
08-20-11, 04:10 AM
Well digital readouts are great, but maybe it's all the growing up around technology no newer than the mid twenties that makes me so accustomed to gauges. I couldn't imagine driving a Superliner that was all digital. I'd probably go insane.

sven914
08-20-11, 04:59 AM
I don't like digital either. My grandmother's '94 Lincoln has an all digital gauge set, and though it is nice to have an exact speed reading and up-to-date information on the car, it makes the dash look very mechanical. An analog gauge just seems more personal.

The-Dullahan
08-20-11, 03:10 PM
Had the same feeling about my Mum's Lincoln when I was younger. Even though it was the early 2000's, it was the only of our eight cars that had digital nonsense going on.

(THAT didn't make us sound like rednecks)

pompste
08-22-11, 07:53 AM
Fill it up, reset the trip meter, tell your kids refill as soon as it reaches say 300 miles. Do it EVERY time you refill her. That way they will never run out of gas even if it displays FULL all the time. :)

Real good advice! I don`t know about "some" of these younger generation kids though-----attention spans are brief with all the "i want it now" thinking and all the lightning fast technology they were brought up with.
Us old-schoolers remember a time "before" all the high tech stuff and we got along fine without any of it.
That being said,every generation does they`re own thing.

The-Dullahan
08-22-11, 08:32 PM
Real good advice! I don`t know about "some" of these younger generation kids though-----attention spans are brief with all the "i want it now" thinking and all the lightning fast technology they were brought up with.
Us old-schoolers remember a time "before" all the high tech stuff and we got along fine without any of it.
That being said,every generation does they`re own thing.

Which generation do I count as? My Age group or what I was raised to be? :)

pompste
08-22-11, 09:52 PM
Which generation do I count as? My Age group or what I was raised to be? :)

Ha Ha ---good question dude! I did say "some" of the younger generation,which means not all.I`ve met some younger people who really know what they`re doing and have positive life goals.
You`re profile lists your age as 23,so you`re a youngster compared to my age!

The-Dullahan
08-24-11, 02:23 AM
Ha Ha ---good question dude! I did say "some" of the younger generation,which means not all.I`ve met some younger people who really know what they`re doing and have positive life goals.
You`re profile lists your age as 23,so you`re a youngster compared to my age!

I concur. I meet people older than me all the time and they still don't accept that we're kids. I recently hired someone at work two years older than me who does not understand when I say things like "She is crazy, but she is a good kid." so instead, I told her that because she refuses to be called a "kid" she will just have to be known for "Being crazy. Simple as that."

On the same note, I meet kids from the mid nineties who are barely LEGALLY adults who refuse to acknowledge that they are "kids"...

Kids these days :nono:

With their Playstations and Satellite Radio and WUB-WUB-WUB-WUBWUBWUBWUB Music...

Stingroo
08-24-11, 08:34 AM
That's WOB-WOB-WOB WOBWOBWOBWOBWOB to you, mister.

mjs182004
08-24-11, 10:12 AM
lol.........