Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Disabling air injection system in 2002 engine?

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  miwise 
#1 ·
Is there any way to just totally disable the air injection system?

#2 ·
Hate to tell you this, but - NO. AIR is not only an emissions item but also insures quick cat lightoff under cold conditions - it cuts emissions and prolongs cat life. Too damn many PCM/mixture sensors feed this operation.

#7 ·
Before you start removing the pump assembly, in your 1999 STS the AIR pump relay should be clipped to the passenger side strut tower - a gray relay on a pigtail. Pull it off the bracket and disconnect it. See if the pins/socket are squeaky clean. Shoot with some Radio Shack electronics cleaner or tuner spray. See if that helps.

Otherwise, talk to Chris in Rippy Cadillac parts ^^^ up in Vendors. Replacing the AIR pump, inside the LF fenderwell inner liner, is a relatively simple job complicated by no room to work. The new kit has an intake hose which GM wants you to plug into the air cleaner ducting - forget that - why cut a hole - simply wire tie the open end up in the engine compartment. The idea is to cut water ingestion, the prime reason for failure in the first place. (Ask Ranger all about it..........)

#10 ·
Be advised, the replacement is the same as the one that came loose on the bottom. It is a shitty design as far as locking the intake cover in place. After I installed my new one I wrapped the hell out of it with wire to keep it in place. It looks like it was installed by Bubba and Billy Jo, but it ain't coming loose again and it is hidden from sight anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.