: If it's not the ECC head, it must be...

jayoldschool
08-11-11, 05:36 PM
... the programmer, correct?

Spent the afternoon working on mom's 84 FWB. Replaced the 1/4 badges, put on a new trunk emblem, did some touch ups. Then it was time to move to the interior. The car's climate control has been wonky for ages. Sometimes once you make a selection (auto, for example), it won't respond to other inputs. Then, it will randomly respond. Cycling the key doesn't change things. It is totally random. So, I grabbed another ECC head to swap in. This one worked fine when I first plugged it in, so I thought everything was ok. As I plugged in the CD player, I popped the internal amp, so I had to wire up another spare head unit. When that was all done, and the dash bezel in place, I fired up the car. New ECC head does the exact same stuff as the old one. Sometimes works fine, sometimes you select something and all other buttons don't work.

Mom's happy to drive with it on low all the time, but I like things to work properly! I suppose if it isn't the ECC head, it would be the programmer. What do you guys think? I'll see if there is a trouble flow chart in the FSM.

sven914
08-11-11, 06:17 PM
That would be my guess. The power module really wouldn't have anything to do with switching the system from AUTO to ECON. The programer receives and interprets the commands from the control head's computer. It then activates the solenoids and motors that move the mix valves to redirect the air flow.

But to be safe, if probably wouldn't hurt to have an extra power module laying around.

jayoldschool
08-11-11, 06:46 PM
Programmer up in the dash by the left side of the glove box, and the power module on the blower housing under the hood, correct?

sven914
08-11-11, 06:58 PM
My book describes the programer as being in the passenger compartment "to the right end of the heater and A/C assembly." The Power Module is on top of the evaporator.

jayoldschool
08-11-11, 08:28 PM
Yep, that is where I thought for both. I'll grab both next time at the U Pull It.

outsider
08-11-11, 10:08 PM
my ecc on my 87 will sometimes not respond to button commands. what i've learned is if i tap the face near the buttons then push the button again it will respond. I assumed it was just the button contacts wearing out?

jayoldschool
08-11-11, 10:39 PM
I thought it would be something like that, until I swapped in the other one and it acted the exact same way.

mjs182004
08-11-11, 10:55 PM
The day mine starts doing this I will be pissed.:gun2::gun::brutal::boom:

csbuckn
08-12-11, 09:47 AM
Mine does the same, if I switch to ECON, it wont respond to some of the other buttons. I always thought it was normal, guess not. Can you turn it off when its acting up?

jayoldschool
08-12-11, 12:07 PM
No, it won't respond to any button pushes, except defrost (and not sure if if does that all the time). After awhile (usually not on the same key cycle), it will allow other (econ/low/off) selections.

Mom's coming back today, so I will give it another check with both ECC heads that I have. Interestingly, the one I grabbed at the yard is a reman Delco unit, and it doesn't have rear defrost. Florida! Works fine in her defrost-optioned car, which interestingly, is from Ft Meyers. The non-defrost car was a DeVille, though.