: Ever wonder what your suspension is REALLY doing under there? (Part 1)

Dr. Design
08-10-11, 09:27 PM
Ever wonder what your suspension is REALLY doing under there? We decided to get some useful footage to see just how much movement the rear differential cradle is getting under load. The results were pretty cool! We took multiple samples of video to see if it was just isolated to 1 certain car, or 1 certain suspension combination, model year, etc... The results were the same. We even loaded the camera up on our torque monster drag car and the results were still the same.

So without further ado here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WMeQQYDUAE

Now some of you might be wondering how or why this is relevant. Well it is said that a chassis that is allowed to flex under load is virtually impossible to properly tune the suspension. The reason this is the the case is because the variable rate of bushing deflection does not allow one to properly dial in the suspension. We have developed and designed a unique chassis brace that will increase the torsional rigidity without compromising the vehicles overall ride quality. These braces bolt into place without any permanent modifications to the chassis or any cutting. The results are a much tighter chassis that now acts as if it is performing as one. This forces the previously wasted energy, through bushing deflection and chassis flex, back through the suspension as designed by the GM engineers thus ultimately transferring the energy into the suspension.

By properly channeling the energy through the suspension rather than through the chassis or soft rubber bushings you can increase the following: handling, 60', launches, turn in, increased lateral grip, higher turn in speed, predictable handling, etc..

More information about the solution - http://www.d3cadillac.com/news/latest-news/d3-chassis-bracing

Stay tuned for Part 2. Yes, with video too!

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

cruiser68
08-10-11, 09:56 PM
Wow, that's quite a bit of movement!

deckofficer
08-10-11, 10:29 PM
I'm going to be here for part 2. I have always wondered how my V can handle so well when tossing 4250 lbs through the twisties, and still give a soft, comfortable and stable ride, and on small side wall tires to boot. Never thought that ride was possible until I bought the V.

RapidRob
08-10-11, 10:37 PM
^^^ - +1.

In what way are you going to make it ride/handle better, Dr. Design?

Rob

Dr. Design
08-11-11, 02:02 PM
That will all be covered in part 2 next week. But in short we have isolated the rear sub frame from moving thus resulting in a much improved state of handling and stability.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

^^^ - +1.

In what way are you going to make it ride/handle better, Dr. Design?

Rob

RapidRob
08-11-11, 06:05 PM
That will all be covered in part 2 next week. But in short we have isolated the rear sub frame from moving thus resulting in a much improved state of handling and stability.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Hmmm - OK. Should be interesting ...

Rob

Silver -V-
08-11-11, 06:33 PM
Doc D -

Will you be making a Tunnel Brace as well? In my road racing, I am having just as many issues from the Tunnel flexing as the rear clip. I believe a combination of the two would really allow the suspension to stay planted and work as it was designed. I am noticing a large amount of rear flex from the back end, which is allowing the tire angles for Toe-in, Camber and Thrust to change depending on the track. I have had to get the alignment re-set after almost every track event. I hope your solution solves this issue.

Dr. Design
08-25-11, 08:39 PM
Hello,

This is something we are looking into and developing. No word yet on a release date, but we have already done testing with that location. As great as this foundation is to make power and increase handling, there are still a lot of features of the vehicle that can use some work. We too have seen issues with alignment staying to spec after runs.

We are preparing to show (Part 2) of this segment shortly.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Doc D -

Will you be making a Tunnel Brace as well? In my road racing, I am having just as many issues from the Tunnel flexing as the rear clip. I believe a combination of the two would really allow the suspension to stay planted and work as it was designed. I am noticing a large amount of rear flex from the back end, which is allowing the tire angles for Toe-in, Camber and Thrust to change depending on the track. I have had to get the alignment re-set after almost every track event. I hope your solution solves this issue.