: Are you car obsessed?

SDCaddyLacky
08-09-11, 09:43 PM
I hope I am not the only person on this forum that constantly thinks about what I need and want to do to my cars. Either being maintenance stuff like "Oh I have to flush out the coolant in my Caddy", or " I need to buy new shocks". I always have these thoughts on my mind and was curious if any of you think the same. Sometimes I wont feel relieved or stress free unless I get these things out of the way.

agp
08-09-11, 09:48 PM
Yes, extremely. But not only about my own car, I think about other cars as well.

Destroyer
08-09-11, 09:50 PM
You sound like a normal "car guy" to me. :)

drewsdeville
08-09-11, 10:16 PM
I used to be like that years ago when I was learning a lot and everything was a new challenge. Not that I don't learn anymore, but most regular maintenance work like coolant flushing and strut swapping is just a chore now unless I'm getting paid for it.

I still don't mind replacing things my car is in NEED of, but I definitely don't seek problems out just to think about or work on my car.

brandondeleo
08-09-11, 10:54 PM
85% of what I think about is my and or other cars. Lol.

greencadillacmatt
08-09-11, 11:46 PM
I'm constantly on craigslist window-shopping cars. (Usually beaters, I don't know why.) I don't ever buy anything, but man do I like to look!

ben.gators
08-09-11, 11:53 PM
No, you are not alone! :D

brandondeleo
08-10-11, 12:07 AM
I'm constantly on craigslist window-shopping cars. (Usually beaters, I don't know why.) I don't ever buy anything, but man do I like to look!I thought it was weird that I did that. This makes me feel better. :histeric:

77CDV
08-10-11, 12:22 AM
Isn't that why we're all here? Because we can't stop thinking about our cars?

brandondeleo
08-10-11, 12:23 AM
I spend more time on here than on Facebook...

77CDV
08-10-11, 12:25 AM
At least there's fewer stalkers here. :lol:

brandondeleo
08-10-11, 12:28 AM
Keyword: Fewer. Lol

SDCaddyLacky
08-10-11, 04:48 AM
Thank you all! Lol. So I am like many of you:yup: It's just dawned on me because I am always outside either cleaning the interior of my car, checking the tire pressure, lubing up the weatherstripping. It's Always something.

One thing that really irks me, is dirty whitewalls. I clean them at least once a week. Wipe off the old tire dressing, clean the tires, then add some more tire dressing...repeat once a week. I also hate having a dirty windshield and windows. I guess it's one of those things where because I own a Fleetwood that is in nice condition, I will do everything in my power to keep it that way. Some people around where I live think I over do it, and stress too much about my car, but when you are passionate about something like cars, it really takes a hold of you. I too dream about what classic ride I want next, even debating on selling my 61 Lincoln Continental for a 50's-early 60's Cadillac or Chevy.

Having a to do list can wreak havoc on your finances. Would you rather spend $10 to go to the movie theaters, or pick up some Synthetic Gear Lube for your ride? Get that nice $50 shower filter from Home Depot, or use that money and pick up some new control arm bushings that are worn out in your Cad? I'm the kind of person that can wait or put off buying other things in life, like electronic items, or going out to have fun like to the movies for instance, because you can always rent them sooner or later right?, but when it comes to my cars, it's like they come first. Now, I am always down to go out and have some drinks with a few buddies, and whatever I'm working on for my cars can be put on hold.

I can't imagine being married with kids, it must very tough for the guys here that do so. You have even less time for everything, especially precious time like car maintenance if you are DIY'er.

Sevillian273
08-10-11, 06:09 AM
I have a never-ending list of crap to fix, modify, inspect, etc on both my cars and the family cars that I maintain regularly. Most tasks get done as soon as possible except suspension work which I tend to put off for months at a time! Could really use a nice lift and some air tools....

Stingroo
08-10-11, 06:46 AM
I'm ALWAYS thinking about what to do next to the wagon.

Currently seeking some decent lowering springs that aren't fleabay specials, and I've needed to do shocks for the last few months... but no point in buying those without buying the springs - stupid to go in there and do twice the work. Then there's all my other little mods I have planned (Matt where's my seat?!) and well... yeah. Pretty much always.

notld67
08-10-11, 03:57 PM
Yeah, not really about what i'm going to do to my cars though. I would do alot of things to my cars if I had the money lol but the payments, gas and insurance are enough for me.

I love cars in general, I subscribe to Hot Rod, Car and Driver, Motor Trend and Autoweekly. Watch shit ton of car shows on tv, go to anything I can find that lets me drive cars. Look at ebay, craiglist etc just because. I'm comfortable saying I have an advanced knowledge of new and classic cars. 85% of the cars that pass by me on the highway I can tell the motor, year range if not the exact year based on color/wheels, hp, 0-60, 1/4 mile etc and what it's worth now lol

vincentm
08-10-11, 04:53 PM
I spend more time on here than on Facebook...

Same

ThumperPup
08-10-11, 05:22 PM
Oh yes all the time
i just started my list of things i need to get ready for for the winter and so far the list is up to 300 on service needs and if i go with the wants and obsesions then that list goes up to 1000 in services lol

gary88
08-10-11, 05:25 PM
I have excel spreadsheets with planned future mods. I guess so.

Sevillian273
08-10-11, 05:37 PM
Now that's serious!

I have one of those ''3 subject notebooks'' - Sections 1 and 2 for each car and section 3 for wiring diagrams and other notes. Plus, each car has its own composition book where I record what I did to the car including date, mileage, and cost. I refuse to add up the totals!

brandondeleo
08-10-11, 06:03 PM
I have kept every gas receipt since I bough the car, and I put them in the rear armrest console. Every couple of months, I take them out and add them up... It's far more painful than balancing checkbooks.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-10-11, 06:59 PM
Thank you all! Lol. So I am like many of you:yup: It's just dawned on me because I am always outside either cleaning the interior of my car, checking the tire pressure, lubing up the weatherstripping. It's Always something.

One thing that really irks me, is dirty whitewalls. I clean them at least once a week. Wipe off the old tire dressing, clean the tires, then add some more tire dressing...repeat once a week. I also hate having a dirty windshield and windows. I guess it's one of those things where because I own a Fleetwood that is in nice condition, I will do everything in my power to keep it that way. Some people around where I live think I over do it, and stress too much about my car, but when you are passionate about something like cars, it really takes a hold of you. I too dream about what classic ride I want next, even debating on selling my 61 Lincoln Continental for a 50's-early 60's Cadillac or Chevy.

Having a to do list can wreak havoc on your finances. Would you rather spend $10 to go to the movie theaters, or pick up some Synthetic Gear Lube for your ride? Get that nice $50 shower filter from Home Depot, or use that money and pick up some new control arm bushings that are worn out in your Cad? I'm the kind of person that can wait or put off buying other things in life, like electronic items, or going out to have fun like to the movies for instance, because you can always rent them sooner or later right?, but when it comes to my cars, it's like they come first. Now, I am always down to go out and have some drinks with a few buddies, and whatever I'm working on for my cars can be put on hold.

I can't imagine being married with kids, it must very tough for the guys here that do so. You have even less time for everything, especially precious time like car maintenance if you are DIY'er.

I have a never-ending list of crap to fix, modify, inspect, etc on both my cars and the family cars that I maintain regularly. Most tasks get done as soon as possible except suspension work which I tend to put off for months at a time! Could really use a nice lift and some air tools....

Time is my biggest inhibitor as well.

I also think about cars non-stop and i consider myself a car-guy. First thing in the morning (and about 30 times thereafter if its slow), i check jalopnik.com, cadillacforums.com,AllanteNet, craigslist car classifieds, forzamotorsport.net, and autoblog

also, last night i looked up transverse leaf springs on wikipedia which lead to a chain of tangents keepin me up till 1am and somehow ending up at bruce lee's one inch punch

77CDV
08-10-11, 08:06 PM
I have kept every gas receipt since I bough the car, and I put them in the rear armrest console. Every couple of months, I take them out and add them up... It's far more painful than balancing checkbooks.

Masochist.

brandondeleo
08-10-11, 08:35 PM
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me. :yup:

Sevillian273
08-10-11, 08:42 PM
also, last night i looked up transverse leaf springs on wikipedia which lead to a chain of tangents keepin me up till 1am and somehow ending up at bruce lee's one inch punch

I spot a coincidence - Who ever chose to use a transverse leafspring on the sevilles and eldorados deserves a Bruce Lee certified one-inch punch.

drewsdeville
08-10-11, 09:15 PM
Really? But why? In regular passenger car application, it's superior to coil springs in almost every way. Hell, even Vettes have been coming with them for a number of generations.

Sevillian273
08-10-11, 09:20 PM
Because not replacing the shocks in a timely manner wears out the spring! Try finding a replacement TLS for a 1990 Seville.....

The setup is not kosher for guy who hates suspension work. :suspense:

drewsdeville
08-10-11, 09:34 PM
That's true of any spring. A worn strut won't control the spring, and a spring wears through compression and relax cycles. The steel coils on my '95 were shot for the same reason you mention. The difference with our transverse leaf is they should actually last LONGER than a steel coil as composite springs usually wear better than steel.

Sevillian273
08-10-11, 09:42 PM
But a composite spring is not so available for a 21 year old sedan! That's the problem!

One inch punch!

drewsdeville
08-10-11, 09:47 PM
Oh now I see, you don't like it because you can't find one...

I'm surprised. Rumor up here has it that you guys down south have a massive selection of junkyards packed with older cars because they never rusted to pieces. Apparently that's not the case.

EDIT: First u-pull Orlando junkyard I pulled up shows a 1991 Seville on hand...

OffThaHorseCEO
08-10-11, 10:30 PM
Really? But why? In regular passenger car application, it's superior to coil springs in almost every way. Hell, even Vettes have been coming with them for a number of generations.

if i understood what i read correctly, its every generation of corvette. at first they only put them on the back but switched to front AND back single leaf TLS for the C5 and C6

shouldnt be too hard to find. seville eldorado allante reatta all used the same spring.

a few gm w bodies used them as well and they might even be the same part.

drewsdeville
08-10-11, 10:44 PM
Yeah the W-bodies were the first time I saw them on GM. For some reason, they were a little more problematic on those - not the springs themselves but the bushings on each end.

mjcaddy
08-10-11, 11:31 PM
LOL, you are not alone, I actually stopped applying for computer technician jobs (I have BS in Information Systems) and start applying for mechanic jobs now :cookoo:

Ctsv wagon
08-11-11, 12:13 AM
Yep and the more cars u have the more mods there are to think about. It gets more complicated when u drive trucks and many different brands. U have to set your priorities. Like new rims not the over due oil change.

STS_Seville_Hunter
08-11-11, 12:29 AM
Because not replacing the shocks in a timely manner wears out the spring! Try finding a replacement TLS for a 1990 Seville.....

The setup is not kosher for guy who hates suspension work. :suspense:

I was trying to locate a new Trofeo FE3 TLS but no dice.
I'm working on a rpoject but I'll let you in a on a little secret... The rear subframe from a 93-95 E/K chassis (Coil Springs)car bolts onto the shortbodys...

Sevillian273
08-11-11, 06:09 PM
You mean it bolts on to the 86-91 eldos and sevilles? That would be awesome.

The problem with the TLS is that Joe Shmo driver cant just bring his car down to Sears and have his springs replaced like he could with any standard coils spring vehicle even if that vehicle dated back to the fifties. Seems you have to be a 'car guy' to get a new (as in USED) TLS.

Sucks.

The-Dullahan
08-13-11, 04:04 AM
Not hardly obsessed, but I have most certainly been possessed.

Sevillian273
08-13-11, 06:01 AM
Hah! That's much more appropriate.

Here's one - I have cut an access panel under the rear seat so I can get to the fuel pump in the future when it fails.

brandondeleo
08-13-11, 06:02 AM
Hah! That's much more appropriate.

Here's one - I have cut an access panel under the rear seat so I can get to the fuel pump in the future when it fails.Clever. :thumbsup:

Gator325
08-27-11, 11:47 PM
Wow, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks about my cars 90% of the time, LOL!

Jesda
08-28-11, 12:27 AM
I spot a coincidence - Who ever chose to use a transverse leafspring on the sevilles and eldorados deserves a Bruce Lee certified one-inch punch.

But it works so well.

77CDV
08-28-11, 01:01 AM
The leaf springs or the one inch punch?

Night Wolf
08-28-11, 11:49 AM

I'm interested in hearing more about this.

Rodya234
08-28-11, 12:01 PM
^ I know that, for one, leaf springs have an effect like an anti-roll bar, which allows the manufaturer to use smaller sway bars to save weight, but still get the same ridigity from the body. Leaf springs also weigh less (and the spring counts as unsprung weight), and their weight is positioned lower on the car than a coil spring.

http://thedanashow.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/the_more_you_know2.jpg

Sevillian273
08-28-11, 12:14 PM
I thought we already had this discussion? I hate them because like coils, driving on worn out shocks wears them out prematurely and replacements arent readily available. Junkyards are really the only option and youre taking a gamble on getting a good one...