: Hood paint fading

CTSV_510
08-09-11, 08:41 PM
Just a couple months ago at the start of the summer, my hood paint started fading what seemed like overnight. I am not looking for a answer to why/how because I know that, but I'm more curious to know if anyone else has had this problem as these cars age. I have an 05 raven V that I bought in Jan 2008 (3.5 years ago), that has never been kept in a garage since I've had it. Obviously the sun does a number on black paint, and to accelerate the issue, the car has always been missing the insulation on the underside of the hood. Hindsight is 20/20 why it would have been a good idea to replace the insulation when I got the car, but it was one of those things for one reason or another I just never really put a whole lot of thought into. After three years with the sun baking it from the top and the maggie baking it from the bottom, the paint is pretty much done.

So.....anyone else have fading paint on their hood? I don't expect too many since a lot of you treat your V like the mona lisa.....

CancerJCC
08-09-11, 08:56 PM
Just a couple months ago at the start of the summer, my hood paint started fading what seemed like overnight. I am not looking for a answer to why/how because I know that, but I'm more curious to know if anyone else has had this problem as these cars age. I have an 05 raven V that I bought in Jan 2008 (3.5 years ago), that has never been kept in a garage since I've had it. Obviously the sun does a number on black paint, and to accelerate the issue, the car has always been missing the insulation on the underside of the hood. Hindsight is 20/20 why it would have been a good idea to replace the insulation when I got the car, but it was one of those things for one reason or another I just never really put a whole lot of thought into. After three years with the sun baking it from the top and the maggie baking it from the bottom, the paint is pretty much done.

So.....anyone else have fading paint on their hood? I don't expect too many since a lot of you treat your V like the mona lisa.....

No mine is not faded. I have heard of the hoods paint getting "messed up" from not running the under hood liner. I think the thread I saw was on ls1gto.com but I don't recall exactly. Try to see what some polish and an orbital can do to bring back the luster.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-appearance/201439-diy-beginners-detail.html

Then if you get it fixed get a damn hood liner! :)

thebigjimsho
08-10-11, 01:44 PM
Now you can MURDER it out. zomg!1!1!1

TroyFleming
08-10-11, 09:07 PM
Not having the underhood liner can do that easily but would think that a repainted hood is not out of the question before you baught it. With so many so called painters out there using crap clearcoat when they breakdown it can be so fast almost in a matter of a day or two, unlike the better quality Dupont/PPG stuff.

2007ThunderV
08-10-11, 11:22 PM
definatley sounds like a crappy repaint from a body shop at some point of time

wcryan
08-10-11, 11:31 PM
piiiiiiiiictures

mberisha
08-11-11, 08:18 AM
piiiiiiiiictures

....of it MURDER'D OUT!!!!!!!!

CTSV_510
08-11-11, 01:44 PM
I guess a bad re-paint is possible, I don't know much about what the car went through before I got it.

Jim, I'm not a murderer. I still like my smoked fogs over the orange ones though....even if it looks "toothy." :thepan:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/ctsv510/fogs1.jpg

.http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/ctsv510/fogs1a.jpg

By the way, this picture is not of the faded hood but a blast from the past to remind Jim that the fogs look better smoked than orange and white. :hide:

I'll post a pic later on of the fading.

mberisha
08-11-11, 01:47 PM
That first pic is sharp bro......

thebigjimsho
08-11-11, 01:52 PM
umad bro?

mberisha
08-11-11, 02:01 PM
umad bro?

Jimbo...it's a term of kinship....understanding to another fellow V owner.....

if it's easier and makes more sense to you....instead of reading/saying bro....just replace it with some "cool" term Fonzie would say......

thebigjimsho
08-11-11, 05:44 PM
yup. hemad.

CTSV_510
08-13-11, 02:18 PM
Ok, here are some pictures of how my hood looks....

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/ctsv510/faded_hood_1.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/ctsv510/faded_hood_2.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/ctsv510/faded_hood_3.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn240/ctsv510/faded_hood_4.jpg

mberisha
08-13-11, 04:11 PM
:suspense:

CadzillaTN
08-13-11, 04:41 PM
510 you've been gone a while.. Do you still have an affinity for anorexic tattooed skeezers?

I feel your pain with the small things needing some attention. Mine is parked right now with a laundry list of things to do so I can revive the V passion.

Hate to say it, but it looks like you'll need a repaint... Have you put any products on it like polish etc just to make it bearable?
I was just under my hood today and noticed how fat the insulation really is. You definitely need to replace that, then again you may lose some of that sweet sc sound!

My hood had to be repainted about 3 years ago due to dealer damage and it never looked the same. When I got it back it looked years older and didn't perfectly match the other panels. The color was ok but upon close inspection the texture was cracked in places and the clearcoat looked oxidized. (luckily, only visible in direct sunlight or fluorescent light so I can live with it) . This isn't necessarily related to your situation, but I always wondered if the paint the body shop used was less heat tolerant than the factory paint, even with the insulation... or maybe they just did a poor job.

CTSV_510
08-13-11, 06:33 PM
To answer your first question.....yes. :D

I haven't tried anything on the hood but a little standard wax by hand and that has no effect whatsoever. I don't have an orbital polisher or anything so I haven't been able to try that out yet. At this point I've pretty much accepted it and since my front bumper has some damage too, sometime in the future I will have them both sprayed at the same time. I can get gm parts at as close to cost as possible through a friend, so I should be able to get a hood liner for around $100.

TroyFleming
08-13-11, 07:35 PM
To answer your first question.....yes. :D

I haven't tried anything on the hood but a little standard wax by hand and that has no effect whatsoever. I don't have an orbital polisher or anything so I haven't been able to try that out yet. At this point I've pretty much accepted it and since my front bumper has some damage too, sometime in the future I will have them both sprayed at the same time. I can get gm parts at as close to cost as possible through a friend, so I should be able to get a hood liner for around $100.

Don't even waste your time waxing it, pictures clearly show it's breakdown from heat under hood. Aluminum doesn't take much to heat up.

thebigjimsho
08-14-11, 05:40 PM
Yeah, that looks like excessive heat damage. Good to know that I'll need to keep the underhood mat attached.

Hey Troy, I can't PM you but I may be looking for a front clip/parts for my '04. Not sure if I'm ready to fully invest in fixing the V, but I may if I can find the right parts at good prices...

TroyFleming
08-14-11, 07:02 PM
Yeah, that looks like excessive heat damage. Good to know that I'll need to keep the underhood mat attached.

Hey Troy, I can't PM you but I may be looking for a front clip/parts for my '04. Not sure if I'm ready to fully invest in fixing the V, but I may if I can find the right parts at good prices...

Just let me know when you get ready. Don't have much besides a black hood right now, but looking at buying 2-3 more V's to put another together. Should have parts if I go that route again.

thebigjimsho
08-14-11, 08:37 PM
Excellent.