: 95 Fleetwood headlights out of allignment

HUF
08-09-11, 01:07 AM
The headlights of my Fleetwood seem to be very strange. It is a four bulb system. I adjust the low beam at 25' so that the brightest spots of both sides are 2" below and 2" to the right of the points corresponding to the points on the wall when the car is only a foot away. Now, the same lens holds the both low and high beam bulbs. In other words, adjusting the low beam automatically changes the adjustment of high beam.

The problem is that the high beams are aimed WAY to far to the left as if I want to blind the oncoming traffic.... If I adjust the HIGH BEAMS so that they would shine straight ahead, then the low beams will illuminate the right ditch and will do little job to illuminate the road ahead.

I bought a heavy duty wiring harness with two relays and planned to replace the OEM bulbs with brighter ones. But that will solve just a part of the problem. Besides, the high beams will literally blind the oncoming drivers. I do not know what to do. It is so stressful to drive after dark. I could get involved in an accident a couple of times because I could not see the road well enough.

Anybody with 93-96 Fleetwoods? How are your lights?

turbojimmy
08-09-11, 01:22 PM
I put Silverstars in my '96 and they helped a lot. I don't see great at night anyway and the stock bulbs weren't cutting it.

I didn't have any alignment problems, though. My '94 seems okay, too.

It could be possible that one of the headlights is broken inside causing the high beam to be out of whack. Do they both shine off to the left?

HUF
08-09-11, 01:28 PM
Thy both seem to be the same. I probably need to shoot a video to show what I am talking about.

Cadillacboy
08-09-11, 06:18 PM
Standard , factory , lamps are too poor for a car like a Cadillac this is why we got aftermarket 6000K HIDs although I am a "stock" guy when it comes to electrical systems

thefleetwoodguy
08-09-11, 07:19 PM
the headlight brackets have adjustments too
could it be there off a bit?

HUF
08-09-11, 07:23 PM
^
That i snot a problem or solution. Just imagine, you have a lens independently sitting on a table. You aim it so that the low beam would be 2" lower and 2" to the right of the axis of the low beam bulb on the screen 25' away and, as a result, your high beam is WAY off the straight line to the left. The position of the bulbs with respect to the lenses is fine, I do not see any damage which could cause missalignment.

turbojimmy
08-09-11, 07:31 PM
^
That i snot a problem or solution. Just imagine, you have a lens independently sitting on a table. You aim it so that the low beam would be 2" lower and 2" to the right of the axis of the low beam bulb on the screen 25' away and, as a result, your high beam is WAY off the straight line to the left. The position of the bulbs with respect to the lenses is fine, I do not see any damage which could cause missalignment.

I'll have to check mine out when it gets dark. I remember adjusting the '96 headlights because they were literally aimed at the ground. I couldn't see a thing. I don't know how the high beams behaved, but I don't recall them going off in any particular direction compared to the low beams.

My GF had a similar problem in her Jag. The low beam had broken loose inside the housing and was aimed at the ground. High beam was fine. It was internal to the light assembly. She totaled it before I could fix it. Problem solved.

N0DIH
08-10-11, 09:24 AM
Make sure bulbs installed properly, many people put them in crooked and they are all over the place.

HUF
08-10-11, 10:59 AM
Make sure bulbs installed properly, many people put them in crooked and they are all over the place.
Yep, the bulbs have only one way to go in and they are fine.

N0DIH
08-10-11, 11:09 AM
You would be amazed how many people screw it up..... Ever see a car going down the road and it will have one headlight sorta screwy, either up or down, it just doesn't look right? The bulb is in wrong. Basically they won't get all 3 of the flats of the bulb mounting into the headlight fixture. They get 2 in and the other outside and the bulb is in very crooked, and it is just whacked.

GM has set the relationship of the high to low beams so if the lows are adjusted ok, the highs are too high and if the highs are ok, the lows are too low. My 00 Buick is same way. They have done this for years. I just put a relay in so my high beams trigger the low beams when the highs are on, and it fills in nicer and I can aim the lows properly.

150 foot max on low and 350 min on high IIRC. Having lows go off when highs on is just stupid, we need as much light as we can get with these crappy US DOT lights. Give me the E-Code euro spec lights any day. RPO T84 (never seen on a Fleetwood). T85's were, but they were RH Drive countries only. Do not use here.

Yep, the bulbs have only one way to go in and they are fine.

HUF
08-10-11, 11:25 AM
You would be amazed how many people screw it up..... Ever see a car going down the road and it will have one headlight sorta screwy, either up or down, it just doesn't look right? The bulb is in wrong. Basically they won't get all 3 of the flats of the bulb mounting into the headlight fixture. They get 2 in and the other outside and the bulb is in very crooked, and it is just whacked.

GM has set the relationship of the high to low beams so if the lows are adjusted ok, the highs are too high and if the highs are ok, the lows are too low. My 00 Buick is same way. They have done this for years. I just put a relay in so my high beams trigger the low beams when the highs are on, and it fills in nicer and I can aim the lows properly.

150 foot max on low and 350 min on high IIRC. Having lows go off when highs on is just stupid, we need as much light as we can get with these crappy US DOT lights. Give me the E-Code euro spec lights any day. RPO T84 (never seen on a Fleetwood). T85's were, but they were RH Drive countries only. Do not use here.
NODITH,

Thank you very much for the reply. That's exactly what I was talking about. The headlight assembly (two bulbs &common lens) itself is strange regradless of your adjustments. If you adjust the assembly so that low beams are per manual, the high beams are WAY too high and to the left and actually will hit the oncoming traffic lane instead of your lane on two lane road! This is plain stupid and I do not know how people would not notice that!

As for the bulbs, one of the bulbs was forced in wrong way by someone, so it took some effort to get it out without screwing up the socket even more, but I took measures to make sure new installation is fine.