: "New" 2008 Escalade- Mystery Switch

bigmac11
08-08-11, 12:57 PM
I just purchased a 2008 Escalade. There is a round rocker switch labeled "-" and "O" to the right of the speedometer in front of the gear selector stalk. I can't find reference to it in the owners manual and I can't figure out what it controls. Can someone help...

BigMac

hcvone
08-08-11, 06:30 PM
It has + and - on the switch, if you put your truck in "M" and not "D" you can manually shift the truck with that rocker switch up and down, this is for towing and it is handy in the mountains for holding gears, also at the end of the selector there is the tow haul mode, it will light up on your dash. :)

bigmac11
08-09-11, 08:37 AM
Sorry. I was not clear. This switch is not on the stalk but on the instrument panel in front of the stalk to the right of the speedo.

BigMac

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-09-11, 11:47 AM
bigmac11,

I thought the same thing as hcvone. Could you please take a picture of what you are seeing so I can determine what you are referring to?

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

hcvone
08-09-11, 02:48 PM
Post a pic, nothing next to my speedo's in any of my trucks, just black plastic, just to get this straight, it's not a rocker on the radio/NAV correct? It's on the plastic right next to the speedo aprox 2 1/2" x 5" in size, and that butts up to the AC vent duct right? May have been a sub or some extra lighting, does it have one or two batteries, maybe a battery switch if you have two batteries. Just a guess without a pic

Badkrma
08-10-11, 12:29 AM
sounds to me like the $5 un lock nav switch from the sticky's on this forum.

bigmac11
08-15-11, 07:10 PM
Picture of Mystery Switch below and to the right of the Speedo.

BigMac

Nixin
08-15-11, 07:46 PM
That's a mystery to me, as well. I haven't seen any like that before.

hcvone
08-15-11, 08:40 PM
New one for me :hmm:

2007XTSDub
08-15-11, 09:01 PM
Picture of Mystery Switch below and to the right of the Speedo.

BigMac

That's is aftermarket of course from the past owner. I would ask dealer where you bought it from if he can find out what its for.

Sent from Android.

flwilhe
08-16-11, 02:41 AM
Interesting...I would guess that its an on/off switch for an aftermarket subwoofer/amp.

bigmac11
08-16-11, 12:20 PM
The "Mystery Switch" appears to be OEM.

BigMac

hcvone
08-16-11, 01:19 PM
It does appear to be, but I have to tell you I have had 7 Escalade's, and our shop has them there everyday, and yours is the first I have seen

2007XTSDub
08-16-11, 01:36 PM
The "Mystery Switch" appears to be OEM.

BigMac

That is not OEM

Sent from Android.

bigmac11
08-16-11, 02:20 PM
Then someone made a new instrument cluster housing with a raised circle around the switch :)

SouthernCaddy
08-16-11, 02:42 PM
The raised circle is part of the switch, that is not factory.

ELUSIVE
08-17-11, 10:00 AM
Are you positive that the raised edge is part of the gauge cluster?
Have you tried following the wiring?

Have you looked behind the dash? Are the wires loose or fully wrapped like that of factory?

K9Caddy
08-18-11, 08:35 AM
That is NOT factory or OEM.

MrHolland
08-18-11, 10:52 AM
Not to insult anyone, but have you tried the switch?? Maybe something will happen.

K9Caddy
08-18-11, 02:39 PM
I believe that switch will activate the flux capacitor... Only available in limited areas and for the special people only.

black_asp
08-20-11, 07:38 AM
I used the same AFTERMARKET toggle switch to activate the relay that powered my aftermarket fog lamps on my old 2008 Tahoe...

Does your 2008 have the roof mounted rear DVD? If not, the switch probably simply turned a set of rear headrest DVD's "on" or "off"...I have a set of aftermarket headrest DVD's in my wife's BMW X5 and it annoys me that they simply come on every time I start the car, so I will probably go to a local audio shop and get the exact same switch...

Rolex
08-21-11, 04:22 PM
You could start by pulling the switch out and seeing if there are still wires attached to the back of it. Whatever aftermarket electronic toys (lights, TVs, amp, etc) the previous owner installed were obviously controlled by that switch. If the vehicle doesn't still have those aftermarket toys on it or in it, then the switch probably doesn't control a dang thing. The previous owner had to leave the switch because there's a ~3/8 hole drilled into the dash. It's cheaper to leave the $3.99 switch than order a new dash panel.

felixgun
08-24-11, 05:28 PM
It does appear to be, but I have to tell you I have had 7 Escalade's, and our shop has them there everyday, and yours is the first I have seen

SEVEN esky's?! Why? Pics? What years? Very interesting :)

darkknight1999
08-29-11, 08:29 PM
That is aftermarket... I would bet my Escalade on it. Just lay on your back and have a look under the dash. I would guess it was for aftermarket lights as someone mentioned. Did you try turning it on at night?

SouthernCaddy
08-31-11, 05:38 PM
SEVEN esky's?! Why? Pics? What years? Very interesting :)

Simply because Carl has more money than he needs and he has to find something to do with it. Most of us work day to day and live pay check to pay check. Carl lives the good life....big money!! LOL :)

Nice Ride
03-29-12, 07:06 PM
Please stop turning the switch on and off. My wife keeps asking me why I keep opening and closing the garage door. I keep telling her it's not me.... Thank you :)

murphy
03-29-12, 11:22 PM
Oh that's for the front mounted machine guns...no..wait..that's for the smoke screen...no...wait...

Playdrv4me
03-30-12, 02:00 AM
Simply because Carl has more money than he needs and he has to find something to do with it. Most of us work day to day and live pay check to pay check. Carl lives the good life....big money!! LOL :)

How do you quantify how much money someone "needs"?

Are you aware that Carl owns or owned a Zaino distribution business and from my understanding his cars have something to do with the business itself. It's never been clear to me but then, it's none of my business.

----------

As for the switch, since this thread was resurrected from the dead, that is most definitely an aftermarket addition. Sometimes those are for alarm functions, other times for lights etc.

SouthernCaddy
03-30-12, 09:47 AM
Man, I know Carl and was just kidding with him...WTF why so jumpy. It is his money and I was just kidding around. Chill....dang! :)

emseedee
03-30-12, 11:53 AM
That switch enables wife/passenger eject button. With it on, and sunroof open, hold both volume buttons on the steering wheel and eject seat operates. I am not sure the steps to reinstall though.

Playdrv4me
03-30-12, 02:05 PM
Man, I know Carl and was just kidding with him...WTF why so jumpy. It is his money and I was just kidding around. Chill....dang! :)

Sorry, I've seen similar comments before from others and of course I had no way of knowing you knew him personally.

bstiffmanofsteel
03-30-12, 03:42 PM
The switch is aftermarket, can get the at Autozone for about $4. I also used one to control my amp on my previous Lade.

Divine1Limo
06-22-12, 12:19 AM
It's possible that it is a relay switch that activates a 2nd battery. My 2008 I had wired with a 2nd battery that only activates when I press a switch which activates a relay to help boost the main battery. This is used in limousines regularly, in case the main battery dies you have a fully charged back up battery. It stays charged all the time there is a diode which allows it to charge but does not allow power to flow back through it. Only way to activate the battery is to hit the switch. Then again I could be wrong.

Divine1Limo
06-22-12, 12:19 AM
BTW if you flip the switch and you hear a relay activating that is what it is.

Nice Ride
06-22-12, 11:07 AM
Hey, stop flipping that switch, my Dining room lights keep going on and off. :)

zogg
06-22-12, 04:45 PM
I bought that exact switch from Advance Autoparts for $6, and we used it to activate the NOS system on my son's race car....I would bet that there are wires connected to the back of it that do not look anything like factory wiring...

RippyPartsDept
06-22-12, 05:10 PM
i would bet money on it

PeteKT
06-25-12, 03:35 PM
Thats not OEm its either for a dvd bypass or maybe like someone else said its an on off switch for an amp

JMulls
06-26-12, 09:23 AM
Its not OEM, but the picture sure looks like its "molded", I am sure its not. In fact since its aftermarket, it could be anything! TRACE THE WIRES! (or contact the prior owner!)

PWGUNNY
06-26-12, 02:19 PM
Then someone made a new instrument cluster housing with a raised circle around the switch :)
I know what you're saying, but that may be just a bevel that rims the switch to hide the cutout. It does match the dash vinyl very well though.

K9Caddy
06-26-12, 03:48 PM
Ok guys, I think the OP gets the hint by now! This thread is almost a full year OLD! Let it die, for pete's sake...

Nice Ride
06-27-12, 05:38 PM
How am I going to get the Dining room lights to turn on and off on there own... It was sort of cool... 😳