: Anyone familliar with the Audi A8 (D2)?

N0DIH
08-08-11, 12:20 PM
Thinking of buying an A8. Why? AWD. My new job puts me on backroads only to get to work/back, no way to take highways or even US highways. All backroads.

So being my wife never will give up the Suburban and she likes driving my Buick Park Ave all the time, I need something else.

With a budget in the $6k range I can't find any AWD cars short of the A8 or Mercedes 4matics. Nothing GM, not going Japanese cars (sorry, just personal preference). Seems A8's are pretty unknown by most.

310 hp V8, 5 speed auto, AWD (E-lockers front/rear) 50/50 Torsen T2 diff in the middle. This will do me nicely....

brandondeleo
08-08-11, 12:46 PM
I have no personal experience with them, but I have heard very good things about A8s.

N0DIH
08-08-11, 12:48 PM
I have heard the trans can bite ya if you have one that was ignored (Audi had originally had a "fill for life trans", that has been changed from what I have heard).

I am looking at a 98 that is in nice shape that has already had the trans replaced. And the alum body, no more rusting my car away up here!

brandondeleo
08-08-11, 12:49 PM
They're a little plain on the outside (my opinion of most Audis pre brand new), but very nice on the inside.

2005CTS-V
08-08-11, 01:33 PM
None with the A8 but I had a 2001 A6 Quattro, 4.2, very nice ride, comfortable, good power, about 300 hp, very easy to work on (I only had it about six months, changed brakes, oil, plugs)

Everyone warning me about the trans bugged me to the point that I got rid of it, we needed something larger anyway.

orconn
08-08-11, 01:38 PM
Your $6000. should about cover the "entry price" of owning the A8; the ownership price should be about three times that! As many of our cohorts here at the Forums have found, it's not the price of admission of an 10 year old (and plus) luxury car that gets expensive but parts and labor to keep the car running and performing up to its' "Luxury" original standards that cost the "real" money. And I would expect the Audi A* to live up to this experience in spades.

As a former Audi 5000S (A6) owner, and the friend of many A6 and A8 owners, I can tell you that we all firmly believe the Audi ownership experience should only be undertaken with a full factory warranty in force and very good relations with your local rental car agency. It is, indeed, unfortunately that a car that is so attractively designed and whose performance can be brilliant should harbor so many expensive mechanical shortcomings.

As experienced Audi owners will tell you if you can't afford an Audi new, you sure as hell can't afford one used!

N0DIH
08-08-11, 02:11 PM
Is it from the standpoint of paying someone (dealer) to fix everything or do things yourself?

Is it much if any different than say an 2000 Deville? Of course we know the time bomb Northstar head gasket is always ticking.

The one I am looking has had what the forums indicate are the common problems. It has also had the trans replaced just before the current owner purchased it. The car has 132k on it now (1998). I was thinking with the budget of the car is including a ext warranty. I have never bought one before, never needed one. All my cars weren't bad where I needed it.

I hate treading on territory of a car that I don't know well, but then again, everything is getting that way.

Your $6000. should about cover the "entry price" of owning the A8; the ownership price should be about three times that! As many of our cohorts here at the Forums have found, it's not the price of admission of an 10 year old (and plus) luxury car that gets expensive but parts and labor to keep the car running and performing up to its' "Luxury" original standards that cost the "real" money. And I would expect the Audi A* to live up to this experience in spades.

As a former Audi 5000S (A6) owner, and the friend of many A6 and A8 owners, I can tell you that we all firmly believe the Audi ownership experience should only be undertaken with a full factory warranty in force and very good relations with your local rental car agency. It is, indeed, unfortunately that a car that is so attractively designed and whose performance can be brilliant should harbor so many expensive mechanical shortcomings.

As experienced Audi owners will tell you if you can't afford an Audi new, you sure as hell can't afford one used!

orconn
08-08-11, 02:39 PM
To answer you question about costs: if a dealer does the work you might as well buy a yacht (Cadillac ownership does not prepare you for the cost of owning a German "luxury car", the parts themselves are way more expensive than Cadillac parts (a window regular and power motor, could not be bought separately, costs $500. in 1987, radio antenna, radio would only work with an Audi antenna, was $500 in 1987, prices adjusted for 2011 would be considerably higher), a warranty on a 13 year old Audi with 132,000 miles on it would either be ridiculously expensive or completely useless or both. As I said if you can't afford to buy one new, with a full factory warranty, you can't afford to buy and maintain one used!

Let me point out that I have owned many a Jaguar, and other high priced automobiles, without a doubt the Audi was my worst ownership experience, and most of my friends who owned them would agree. My son's boss who owned a 2007 Audi A6 Avant Quattro had a similar experience to mine. My son was constantly picking him up and dropping him off at the Audi dealer because something had gone wrong with his car .... he was fortunate; he bought his new ($60,000) and at least had a full four year warranty!

If you are interested in the cost potentialities of owning am old high mileage German luxury car just go to Chad's post on his ownership of his Mercedes and its' costs. If anything the Audi will be even more expensive due the frequency of needed repairs!

Not trying to be a "Downer Debbie" here but just trying to give you some knowledge from my experience and the experiences of others who have fallen under the Audi spell!

N0DIH
08-08-11, 02:46 PM
Which is why I posted here about it! :)

When I lurk the net for "reviews", most are positive, but a few are negative, and negative pretty bad.

I was initially looking at a E430 4Matic, but it seems hit or miss and the rust and other common problems really seems uncool. So when I looked at the A8, it seems like it is much more solid, but there are notorious issues with them too, just not as bad as the W211's.

I like the idea of the Quattro AWD, it seems like a very good system. As I have poor winter roads to drive, I was hoping for something that I could rely on for a daily driver. Sounds like it isn't the best choice. :(

Maybe go back to looking for a rust free 94-96 Fleetwood, they are hard to beat for reliability. But the rust.... The A8 has the alum body and I really really like the idea of no rust....

Rodya234
08-08-11, 02:58 PM
^ I had researched the D2 A8/S8, and was saving up to buy an one, but used the money to buy my Seville.

I got a lot of my information from http://www.audipages.com/. If you havn't seen it already, it has plenty of technical information about the cars, as well as a Used A8 Buyer's guide for things to look for.

Good luck!

N0DIH
08-08-11, 03:00 PM
Yup, I am on 2 Audi forums, not as high traffic as here, nor as many A8 (D2) owners out there either.

I just despise FWD, and really leaning towards AWD. I don't want an SUV for the mpg. It really pairs down the field of cars....

Is an extended warranty worth the $3k or so on these cars? I guess it doesn't cover the backup car.... :)

Aron9000
08-08-11, 03:03 PM
Like others have said, steer far away from Audi. I drive them all the time, it seems like they just fall apart after about 4-5 years and 100k miles.

I know you don't want Japanese, but Suburu IMO has had the best AWD cars on the market for the past 20 years IMO.

brandondeleo
08-08-11, 03:15 PM
I am not a lover of Japanese vehicles whatsoever (except for the Toyota Avalon), and I must say that Subarus are impressive vehicles when it comes to their AWD configuration. Those things plow through the winter weather here like tractors.

gary88
08-08-11, 03:22 PM
There's a good reason you don't see many old Audis on the road anymore.

N0DIH
08-08-11, 03:30 PM
Now that you mention it, I can't recall the last time I saw a Audi 5000 or a Fox or even a lot of the 90's Audi's. I can't recall a single 80's Audi I have seen in the last year.

There's a good reason you don't see many old Audis on the road anymore.

Jesda
08-08-11, 04:05 PM
I dont remember seeing many new Audis in the 90s either. They sold three or four cars over the entire decade.

orconn
08-08-11, 04:05 PM
Kind of tell's you something doesn't it? Without the prestige of the three pointed star to sucker used car buyers into "hoping for the best," Audi's head for the crusher much earlier than their more visible antiquated German brothers. A8's were never sold in any numbers in the U.S. anyway, many have already gone to crusher or been exported to foreign used car markets.

brandondeleo
08-08-11, 04:07 PM
http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2010/a/2010-Audi-A8-hybrid-Front-And-Side-1920x1440.jpg

N0DIH
08-08-11, 04:35 PM
Still don't care for the trapezoidal grill. Too bulky looking... Just me I guess.

I was looking at a 06 4.6L STS-4, but it is $14k, quite a bit over what I can do right now. :(

Just when it comes to AWD, the market is very very small in the US. Looking at cars.com and putting in AWD, I really didn't get much sub $10k that was worth looking at. Filter by sedan and coupe. No SUV's.

JDB
08-08-11, 04:36 PM
Yes. I'm a former '95 Audi 90 and '01.5 A4 owner....

D2 A8 was on my list of cars as a replacement for my A4...along with S8 and D3 platform A8. D2s are known for trans issues. Other than that, great cars. Lots of info on www.quattroworld.com

N0DIH
08-08-11, 04:41 PM
That is what I am wondering, if the trans has been addressed, is it going to come back and fail soon again or once the issues are dealt with, does the car eventually become worthy?

If you look at the 94-96 Fleetwoods, they had their issues (Optispark, back window tracks breaking windows, rear axles with wrong gasket eating axles, etc), but once the issues were dealth with, they were really very reliable cars. I would say the best Cadillac ever offered, and let along had a 30 year old chassis and a Chevy engine.... (That is just wrong I know)

Yes. I'm a former '95 Audi 90 and '01.5 A4 owner....

D2 A8 was on my list of cars as a replacement for my A4...along with S8 and D3 platform A8. D2s are known for trans issues. Other than that, great cars. Lots of info on www.quattroworld.com (http://www.quattroworld.com)

Jesda
08-08-11, 04:44 PM
I was trying to hint that the lack of older Audis on the road isn't just due to spotty reliability -- its because poor past retail sales make it less likely that you'll see them, regardless of whether they died an early death.

I'd argue that the poor retail sales were attributable to the widely publicized acceleration issue (that was later proven false) and the lack of design flair until the late 90s.

orconn
08-08-11, 04:57 PM
The false part of the '80's Audi 5000's "unindtended accelleration" was not that the car didn't spontaneously rev while stopped and in gear, but that, as it was claimed by the victim's of this phenomenon, the brakes wouldn't hold the car at a stop when the engine spontaneously revved. I can tell you this problem was very real as my Audi 5000 Avant spontaneously revved its" engine while stopped in traffic, however, the brakes held the car at a standstill and I was able to turn off the ignition. This dangerous defect was corrected by the replacement of the ECM and we didn't experience it again during the rest of our ownership. The problem, which was blamed on driver error, was the reason that brake/gearshift interface was mandated on cars sold i n the U.S. Many of those who experienced this phenomenon first hand knew that the government's investigation was whitewash. Incidentally, a lesser known, but similar, situation also occurred on Cadillac Sevilles of the mid-eighties.

orconn
08-08-11, 05:05 PM
Also, to Jesda's point of very limited sales. There were plenty of Audi's sold on both the West and east Coasts during the late 1980's and 1990's and they were to be seen all over the place in Los Angeles and other major coastal cities. On paper, then as now, the cars were very attractive alternatives to other European "executive" sedans and they also had their very=y nice Avant wagons that performed like sports sedans. But I am sure that the cars high cost of maintenance and repair and rotten resale value sent many of them to the scrap yard earlier than other makes.

brandondeleo
08-08-11, 05:07 PM
I have hardly seen ANY older Audis since I have moved to Washington, but there were a quite a few around when I lived in Los Angeles.

Destroyer
08-08-11, 05:24 PM
Thinking of buying an A8. Why? AWD. My new job puts me on backroads only to get to work/back, no way to take highways or even US highways. All backroads.

So being my wife never will give up the Suburban and she likes driving my Buick Park Ave all the time, I need something else.

With a budget in the $6k range I can't find any AWD cars short of the A8 or Mercedes 4matics. Nothing GM, not going Japanese cars (sorry, just personal preference). Seems A8's are pretty unknown by most.

310 hp V8, 5 speed auto, AWD (E-lockers front/rear) 50/50 Torsen T2 diff in the middle. This will do me nicely.... A buddy of mine in NY had a Jaguar X type AWD, I think an '05 model with the V6. Anyway he wrecked it about a year ago and owned it since new. From what I understand the X-type is loosely based on the Ford Contour? Said he loved that car and it was very reliable. They are going pretty cheap now. Do some research, earlier models should be avoided and had some problems.

96Fleetwood
08-08-11, 05:39 PM
I would stay away from the A8. It was a S class and 7 series competitor and like many have said... you pay $$$ to keep these cars running.

Why not something like a AWD e46 3 series wagon? Good gas mileage, easy to work on, and some decent cargo room.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=301514330&dealer_id=56956943&car_year=2002&systime=&doors=&model=&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&body_style=WAGON&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=used&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1312839253530&drive=4+wheel+drive&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=67719&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&dma=CHICAGO_C2&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=128&transmission=&default_sort=priceASC&max_mileage=&color=&address=60517&sort_type=priceASC&max_price=&make=BMW&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=464&standard=false

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1692120

... there are a number of Euro wagons that come with AWD and are not uber-luxury models so maintenance isn't outrageous (Passat, A4, V70, XC90, 9-5, etc).

Destroyer
08-08-11, 05:41 PM
To answer you question about costs: if a dealer does the work you might as well buy a yacht (Cadillac ownership does not prepare you for the cost of owning a German "luxury car", the parts themselves are way more expensive than Cadillac parts (a window regular and power motor, could not be bought separately, costs $500. in 1987, radio antenna, radio would only work with an Audi antenna, was $500 in 1987, prices adjusted for 2011 would be considerably higher), a warranty on a 13 year old Audi with 132,000 miles on it would either be ridiculously expensive or completely useless or both. As I said if you can't afford to buy one new, with a full factory warranty, you can't afford to buy and maintain one used!

Let me point out that I have owned many a Jaguar, and other high priced automobiles, without a doubt the Audi was my worst ownership experience, and most of my friends who owned them would agree. My son's boss who owned a 2007 Audi A6 Avant Quattro had a similar experience to mine. My son was constantly picking him up and dropping him off at the Audi dealer because something had gone wrong with his car .... he was fortunate; he bought his new ($60,000) and at least had a full four year warranty!

If you are interested in the cost potentialities of owning am old high mileage German luxury car just go to Chad's post on his ownership of his Mercedes and its' costs. If anything the Audi will be even more expensive due the frequency of needed repairs!

Not trying to be a "Downer Debbie" here but just trying to give you some knowledge from my experience and the experiences of others who have fallen under the Audi spell!You are right but there alternatives to buying parts new. Ebay is probably the best place for parts. Being able to do some of the work yourself helps too. I took my Jaguar to the dealership and they wanted over $2k to replace the 02 sensors and $1100 to fix a valve cover gasket that supposedly is leaking internally. What is crazy is that I never complained about a leaky valve cover gasket but they were nice enough to check and let me know. They did this inspection while the car was there for an alignment. Crooks I tell ya!

Another idea is to buy another car as a parts car if you have the room. I have seen several '98-up Jags with mechanical problems but nice shape otherwise selling for $1-1.5k or so. Cars like the Audi or any higher end car of any make of this vintage with a blown motor or transmission are virtually worthless and can be bought for next to nothing. They would make great parts cars. Point is a "thrifty car guy" can get away with owning cars like this and not spending a fortune fixing them. :)

JDB
08-08-11, 09:34 PM
That is what I am wondering, if the trans has been addressed, is it going to come back and fail soon again or once the issues are dealt with, does the car eventually become worthy?

If you look at the 94-96 Fleetwoods, they had their issues (Optispark, back window tracks breaking windows, rear axles with wrong gasket eating axles, etc), but once the issues were dealth with, they were really very reliable cars. I would say the best Cadillac ever offered, and let along had a 30 year old chassis and a Chevy engine.... (That is just wrong I know)

No, it isn't fixed. Its the same trans. But, these cars are do cheap from their $80k sticker, its an amazing bang for the buck.

Buy from the enthusiast classified forum on QuattroWorld...you'll get a car that was overly maintained rather than a car with spotty maintenance records.

If $ for repairs is an issue, then buy an A6 2.8 Avant.

drewsdeville
08-08-11, 10:06 PM
You are right but there alternatives to buying parts new. Ebay is probably the best place for parts. Being able to do some of the work yourself helps too. I took my Jaguar to the dealership and they wanted over $2k to replace the 02 sensors and $1100 to fix a valve cover gasket that supposedly is leaking internally. What is crazy is that I never complained about a leaky valve cover gasket but they were nice enough to check and let me know. They did this inspection while the car was there for an alignment. Crooks I tell ya!

Another idea is to buy another car as a parts car if you have the room. I have seen several '98-up Jags with mechanical problems but nice shape otherwise selling for $1-1.5k or so. Cars like the Audi or any higher end car of any make of this vintage with a blown motor or transmission are virtually worthless and can be bought for next to nothing. They would make great parts cars. Point is a "thrifty car guy" can get away with owning cars like this and not spending a fortune fixing them. :)

Most examples of high cost of operation in this thread stem from stories from taking the car to the dealer and things breaking out of warranty. If you don't take your car to the dealer anyway, it's not really a valid argument. I'm driving an expensive luxury car from what's considered to be the manufacturers darkest days, yet it HAS been the most cost efficient I've ever owned. In fact, I've been driving what most would call unreliable junk, and it's probably costed me less to drive than the average Camry owner.

The difference between maintaining your own car, like NODIH and other members do, and letting the dealer maintain your car can completely reverse a discussion like this regardless of manufacturer. If you are resourceful and don't mind getting your hands dirty every now and then, you can safely enjoy pretty much any car without fear of breaking the bank.

My opinion - forget this whole discussion and get behind the wheel of the A8 you want because you think you'll enjoy it, not because of some here-say on maintenance costs from decades ago.

Destroyer
08-08-11, 10:16 PM
If you are resourceful and don't mind getting your hands dirty every now and then, you can safely enjoy pretty much any car without fear of breaking the bank.
Well, as of late I don't work on my cars too much anymore. Too busy. I pay an employee of mine that is very mechanically inclined $10/hr to do it. Works for me :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-08-11, 11:56 PM
I have a fair amount of experience with high end German cars. Let me share my $.02

N0DIH, it always seemed to me that you had good mechanical experience and like working on your own stuff. So if that's the case (atleast for the domestic stuff), you will try to repair the car yourself, so you cut out the labor costs, which is great, but the parts prices are ridiculous. All of the German parts I've come across are OEM, as there are few aftermarket companies that build the parts. So unlike buying NAPA generic shocks for your Fleetwood, you're going to have to buy the Audi struts for the A8, which are exhorbitantly expensive, and it doesn't matter if you buy them from the dealer or the local european specialist, it's the same part, so you won't see much of a price change.

I'd assume that like the Mercedes, BMW's and VW's, most of their electronic items are Bosch-manufactured, and anything with that label is major $$$! For example, I had my blower motor/regulator fail on my S320, and that was $800 for the part from the dealer, and about $735 from the local European specialist. Same part, just different markup for the dealer. What's the blower motor cost on a '90 Brougham? About $12.

That's the way of the Executive level German car. :) Not trying to scare you, just giving you an FYI.

gdwriter
08-09-11, 12:14 AM
In all honesty, if you're looking for all-wheel drive, decent reliability and reasonable maintenance costs, just buy a Subaru. I know it's a Japanese company, but Outbacks, Legacys and Tribecas are built in Indiana (http://www.subaru-sia.com/). And the '05-'09 Legacy/Outback are actually good-looking cars.

brandondeleo
08-09-11, 12:15 AM
...and you can find really clean Subarus for a steal.

Playdrv4me
08-09-11, 04:38 AM
Is it from the standpoint of paying someone (dealer) to fix everything or do things yourself?

Is it much if any different than say an 2000 Deville? Of course we know the time bomb Northstar head gasket is always ticking.

The one I am looking has had what the forums indicate are the common problems. It has also had the trans replaced just before the current owner purchased it. The car has 132k on it now (1998). I was thinking with the budget of the car is including a ext warranty. I have never bought one before, never needed one. All my cars weren't bad where I needed it.

I hate treading on territory of a car that I don't know well, but then again, everything is getting that way.

Awesome! An A8 guinea pig... I have always wanted to observe first hand experience of someone owning one of these so I could determine whether I want to go down that road myself!

:food-snacking:

JDB
08-09-11, 10:18 AM
Oops ...dup post...

JDB
08-09-11, 10:19 AM
I have a fair amount of experience with high end German cars. Let me share my $.02

N0DIH, it always seemed to me that you had good mechanical experience and like working on your own stuff. So if that's the case (atleast for the domestic stuff), you will try to repair the car yourself, so you cut out the labor costs, which is great, but the parts prices are ridiculous. All of the German parts I've come across are OEM, as there are few aftermarket companies that build the parts. So unlike buying NAPA generic shocks for your Fleetwood, you're going to have to buy the Audi struts for the A8, which are exhorbitantly expensive, and it doesn't matter if you buy them from the dealer or the local european specialist, it's the same part, so you won't see much of a price change.

I'd assume that like the Mercedes, BMW's and VW's, most of their electronic items are Bosch-manufactured, and anything with that label is major $$$! For example, I had my blower motor/regulator fail on my S320, and that was $800 for the part from the dealer, and about $735 from the local European specialist. Same part, just different markup for the dealer. What's the blower motor cost on a '90 Brougham? About $12.

That's the way of the Executive level German car. :) Not trying to scare you, just giving you an FYI.

Yeah, parts are $$$$ if you're buying from a dealer or indy shop, they mark them up for profit. You can buy parts for a lot less onlineand get OEM for less...like at www.PureMS.com www.germanautoparts.com www.worldimpex.com and find used at www.car-part.com

Destroyer
08-09-11, 10:57 AM
I had my blower motor/regulator fail on my S320, and that was $800 for the part from the dealer, and about $735 from the local European specialist. Same part on Ebay right now is $151.99 with free shipping and that is for a NEW OEM part.

What's the blower motor cost on a '90 Brougham? About $12. New? Around $50. Buying this stuff used is a way to avoid these big costs. I can buy a used/complete motor for my XJ8 on Ebay for under $2k with a warranty. New OEM isn't even that much on Ebay. Honestly, the internet and Ebay in particular have devalued the price on almost everything. Parts we thought we could only get from certain places are now abundant via the internet and the prices go down.

Jesda
08-09-11, 11:11 AM
Same part on Ebay right now is $151.99 with free shipping and that is for a NEW OEM part.

Which is great if you're doing your own work (which is probably the case here), but if you have an extended warranty they aren't going to cover you performing your own labor. If you're having a shop do it, they won't warranty the work if you bring in your own part.

drewsdeville
08-09-11, 03:06 PM
Same part on Ebay right now is $151.99 with free shipping and that is for a NEW OEM part.

New? Around $50. Buying this stuff used is a way to avoid these big costs. I can buy a used/complete motor for my XJ8 on Ebay for under $2k with a warranty. New OEM isn't even that much on Ebay. Honestly, the internet and Ebay in particular have devalued the price on almost everything. Parts we thought we could only get from certain places are now abundant via the internet and the prices go down.

Exactly. Like mentioned in post 30, being resourceful (not only in labor) is a big part of keeping costs down.

If I recall correctly from older posts of NODIH's I've read, he can be quite resourceful and should have no reason to fear an Audi.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-09-11, 07:13 PM
Which is great if you're doing your own work (which is probably the case here), but if you have an extended warranty they aren't going to cover you performing your own labor. If you're having a shop do it, they won't warranty the work if you bring in your own part.

Exactly Jesda. When the mass airflow sensor went south on the S320, the dealer wanted like $825 for the part, and like $50 for install. I went online to one of the parts houses and got the MAF sensor for like $225 and installed it myself no big deal, but on a part like the blower motor, where you're quoted 4.3 hours of labor to replace it....yeah then I'll have the dealer/indy garage do that. :)

Destroyer
08-09-11, 10:08 PM
Which is great if you're doing your own work (which is probably the case here), but if you have an extended warranty they aren't going to cover you performing your own labor. If you're having a shop do it, they won't warranty the work if you bring in your own part.How many people have extended warranties that cover a car built in say '98? I know many out of work mechanics that would gladly fix anything I can throw at them for $10 /hour. Hell, I got my '67 Cutlass bodywork/paint, motor/tranny, interior, body bushings and all sorts of work done for well under $3k including parts and labor. I am the "thrifty car guy". :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-09-11, 10:10 PM
I had a extended warranty on my '99 S320, but I bought the car and warranty when it was only 8 years old in '07, and boy was that warranty expensive (but boy did it pay for it's self ;) )

Destroyer
08-09-11, 10:18 PM
I had a extended warranty on my '99 S320, but I bought the car and warranty when it was only 8 years old in '07, and boy was that warranty expensive (but boy did it pay for it's self ;) )Maybe it did, maybe it didn't Chad. You work at a dealership right? Could have asked one of the mechanics there to fix it on the side. If my S320 blew an HG I'm pretty sure it would not have cost me more than a few hundred bucks to fix it. Even my guys would not touch my Deville though. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-09-11, 10:27 PM
Nope. At that time, I worked at a Chevy dealership, and NONE of them wanted to get even remotely close to that Benz, even for the simplest things. They'd rather do HG's on a Northstar and they really hated those.

Destroyer
08-09-11, 11:31 PM
Nope. At that time, I worked at a Chevy dealership, and NONE of them wanted to get even remotely close to that Benz, even for the simplest things. They'd rather do HG's on a Northstar and they really hated those.They were perhaps intimidated but truth is the inline 6 in the S320 is easier to work on than the N* by a long shot. I do remember going to a few places to have the Jag looked at before I bought it and a few didn't even want to check it out because it was a Jag. One guy at a European place did check it out and said "if you don't buy it I will". That was enough for me.

orconn
08-09-11, 11:52 PM
They were perhaps intimidated but truth is the inline 6 in the S320 is easier to work on than the N* by a long shot. I do remember going to a few places to have the Jag looked at before I bought it and a few didn't even want to check it out because it was a Jag. One guy at a European place did check it out and said "if you don't buy it I will". That was enough for me.

He tells all perspective Jag owners that, he figures you will buy the car and he will have another steady stream of income over the next few years!

Playdrv4me
08-10-11, 12:26 AM
I passed on an XLR-V and an E55 AMG because the warranties the respective dealers offered either didn't cover specialty models (AMG), or the coverage was shitty (top coverage that only covered the top motor on the XLR, but none of the moving parts or electronics). Can't imagine owning any of these cars, or the M5s I was also looking at, without extensive warranty coverage. I'm actually glad Marvin talked me out of the XLR idea without anything less than GMPP.

brandondeleo
08-10-11, 12:30 AM
I found a BEAUTIFUL 91 500SL AMG for sale, well within my budget, by I had to restrain myself because I knew I would be screwed if anything went wrong with it... Same reason I am avoiding Mercedes in general.