: How to remove computer controlled shocks, need help.

SalmonJan
08-08-11, 02:49 AM
Hello fellows, i want to remove computer controlled shocks and use regular shocks. Can you help me with it? VIN of my car is 1G6DW52P5RR717691 and i have there

6TP COMPONENT-COMPUTER SELECTED SUSPENSION SUSP(6TP)
7TP COMPONET-COMPUTER SELECTED SUSPENSION SUSP(7TP)
8HF COMPONENT RR LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (8HF) SUSP(8HF)
9HF COMPONENT RR RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (9HF) SUSP(9HF)

FE2 SUSPENSION SYSTEM,RIDE AND HANDLING RIDE & HANDLING SUSP(FE2)

MoistCabbage
08-08-11, 02:55 AM
You don't have computer controlled shocks, just plain old passive ones. The only thing you have is an air bladder on each rear shock to compensate for heavy loads.

SalmonJan
08-08-11, 03:20 AM
Yes but shocks are connected pipes from compressor, i donť know what should i do with that.

SalmonJan
08-08-11, 03:21 AM
Controlled shocks are moving with my car.

turbojimmy
08-08-11, 07:40 AM
Yes but shocks are connected pipes from compressor, i donť know what should i do with that.

As mentioned, you don't have computer controlled shocks. They're computer "selected" whatever that means. The rear shocks are air shocks for the automatic level control (ALC) system. Neither those air shocks nor the front ones are very expensive.

csbuckn
08-08-11, 09:50 AM
To get rid of them, get new ones and just route the air hose to a nipple behind the bumper. For regular shocks, you may have to get a heavy duty set because the springs might be softer and meant to work with the level ride. Then unplug the compressor under the hood.

SalmonJan
08-08-11, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the answer. Where i have to unplug the compressor under the hood?

outsider
08-08-11, 11:21 AM
on my 87 the compressor has a plug coming off it. If you unplug that, it disables the compressor.

SalmonJan
08-08-11, 11:25 AM
I shall try to find, it will not be easy.

csbuckn
08-08-11, 11:27 AM
Under the hood on driver side by the hood hindge

SalmonJan
08-08-11, 11:36 AM
BINGO !! I will pull out fuse 09 from compressor.

SalmonJan
08-08-11, 11:43 AM
Thanks for help, I shall use regular shocks because controlled shocks are constantly moving with the car and makes discomfort. With regular shocks i will buy regular springs from ac delco too.

turbojimmy
08-08-11, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the answer. Where i have to unplug the compressor under the hood?

You have to remove the inner fender cover on the left side. There's a plug right at the compressor.

If the pump still works, why would you get rid of the factory set up? The GM shocks can be had for slightly more $$ than a set of Gabriel Hijackers. Rippy quoted me $75 plus shipping for GM shocks my '94. A set of Hijackers is $61 plus shipping from JC Whitney. To me, it's worth the $14 extra to keep the factory stuff working.

MoistCabbage
08-08-11, 02:03 PM
Thanks for help, I shall use regular shocks because controlled shocks are constantly moving with the car and makes discomfort. With regular shocks i will buy regular springs from ac delco too.

That sounds like the shocks are just worn, not like there's a problem with the leveling system. As turbojimmy said, for a few extra dollars, you can have new Ac Delco shocks that retain the leveling feature.

turbojimmy
08-08-11, 02:32 PM
That sounds like the shocks are just worn, not like there's a problem with the leveling system. As turbojimmy said, for a few extra dollars, you can have new Ac Delco shocks that retain the leveling feature.

Right. He's got a '94 Fleetwood. They're just regular shocks. The only "computer control" is the ride height by the ALC system. The ALC system has nothing to do with ride quality since they are just regular oil-filled shocks anyway. I suspect all his shocks are shot. If he moves to manual "air shocks", I think he'll find that the ride gets worse.

SalmonJan
08-08-11, 03:36 PM
Shocks are moving with rear of the car, it is not good. I like calm steady ride of my brother´s Oldsmobile Delte 88 from 1985 but with soft floating ride, this car has FE2 suspension which is stiff like european cars.

turbojimmy
08-08-11, 04:07 PM
Shocks are moving with rear of the car, it is not good. I like calm steady ride of my brother´s Oldsmobile Delte 88 from 1985 but with soft floating ride, this car has FE2 suspension which is stiff like european cars.

I don't know what you mean by the "shocks are moving with the rear of the car", but you should have a calm, steady ride. True, computer controlled shocks adjust stiffness many times a second. That is not what these cars have. The rear shocks on your car only adjust ride height every 17-20 seconds *IF* you add or subtract substantial (200 lbs. or more) weight from the car. Otherwise, the pressure in the shocks is constant and the computer isn't doing anything. You either have something broken or worn out. The FE2 suspension is a bit stiffer for trailer towing, but it does not substantially alter ride quality.

Obviously you can do whatever you want with your car, but I suspect you'll be disappointed with a switch to aftermarket air shocks. Put all new GM parts on all 4 corners and you won't be disappointed.

MoistCabbage
08-08-11, 09:00 PM

The ride of your Brougham will never be like the ride of an '85 Olds. If you're trying to describe the ride as "bouncy", you need new shocks, and the original equipment Delco units will give you the best ride. That said, your car was designed to cruise in comfort, some body roll is to be expected, and depending on your expectations, may always feel "boaty"

jayoldschool
08-08-11, 09:36 PM
this car has FE2 suspension which is stiff like european cars.

I have officially heard everything.

As others have said... you have worn out shocks. Buy replacement Delco air shocks. Enjoy a smooth ride.

cadillac kevin
08-08-11, 09:51 PM
its not the FE2 suspension that giving you a rough ride, its bad shocks. replace your shocks with factory spec shocks and enjoy the ride.

RippyPartsDept
08-08-11, 10:00 PM
:yeah:

replace with air shocks and keep the auto leveling

SalmonJan
08-09-11, 01:27 AM
No, you are not right, my shock absorbers are computer controlled, when a man at technical inspection ride my car on roller, the car in a second rise front of the car and when i brake the front of the car do not drop like i am familiar from Oldsmobile.

RippyPartsDept
08-09-11, 01:48 AM
there will be electrical connectors from the front struts to the body harness if that is the case
also the rear shocks will have two lines coming from them, one will be the air line and the other will be the electrical connector

either way (passive vs active suspension) it is a shame to not replace the parts with similar/exact replacements
for example, if you have active suspension, don't remove it - keep it
also, for example, you have auto level control (alc, aka elc, aka level ride) ... don't remove that either

SalmonJan
08-09-11, 03:25 AM
Suspension is not well-done, i bought comfortable car, not sports car. Engineers at Cadillac made mistake. I know Cadillac made this computer controlled suspension at unibody cars like Deville because they havn´t frame, but at Fleetwood it is pointless. BTW: Fleetwood has shock absorbers not struts.

MoistCabbage
08-09-11, 08:25 AM
Salmonjan, you DO NOT have active/computer controlled shocks. You have conventional, passive hydraulic shocks at all 4 corners, and a rear load leveling system. Nothing more.

when a man at technical inspection ride my car on roller, the car in a second rise front of the car and when i brake the front of the car do not drop like i am familiar from Oldsmobile.

Active shocks would not cause the front (or rear) of the car to rise, and nose diving while braking is due to worn shocks or poor suspension geometry. Just because the Fleetwood rides/handles differently than the Oldsmobile, doesn't mean there's something wrong with it, or that it was designed poorly.

cadillac kevin
08-09-11, 08:28 AM
it is computer selected, not computer controlled. it means at the factory a computer selects 4 identical shocks for your car. your shocks are not computer controlled in any way.
you have basic fluid filled shocks in the front and air shocks in the back. a computer does not control them in any way.

SalmonJan
08-09-11, 08:43 AM
No no no, shocks move with my car, i don´t know if front shocks, but rear shocks definitely. Shocks hold car in level, shocks respond lightning fast.

cadillac_al
08-09-11, 08:48 AM
The replacement shocks for these cars are basically Monroe Max-Airs or Gabriel Hi-Jackers. I almost think the AC Delco shocks are made by one of these companies. I never thought those air shocks had very good damping myself. I have never been completely satisfied with the ride of these shocks on my cars compared to a regular shock but ya gotta have the level-ride so that's all we can use. An old Oldsmobile with worn shocks can still be a very comfortable car. On my old Olds Ninety Eight I put some new shocks on and thought the ride was almost too stiff. The front end should not dive during braking so you can never duplicate that with new shocks.

MoistCabbage
08-09-11, 08:59 AM
No no no, shocks move with my car, i don´t know if front shocks, but rear shocks definitely. Shocks hold car in level, shocks respond lightning fast.

Even if your car had computer controlled shocks,they couldn't raise and lower the car. The only difference between active and passive shocks is that active shocks have electronically adjustable valving. They cannot effect ride height. The stock leveling system isn't capable of adjusting ride height "lightning fast" Is the car new to you? Is it possible that someone installed an Air Ride kit or something similar?

SalmonJan
08-09-11, 09:19 AM
In Oldsmobile Delta i changed sagged springs with new ones couple years ago, in front we have soft Gabriel Red rider shocks, they are great. In my Cadillac Fleetwood are sagged springs or car is lovered from the fabric, don´t know. Like i said, technican ride the Caddy on rollers at technical inspection and shocks lift up front in a second, don´t know if it made front shocks or rear shocks

MoistCabbage
08-09-11, 09:31 AM
Again, shock absorbers cannot effect/change ride height. There is nothing on your car from the factory that can actively change front end ride height. The rear ride height is controlled by two air bladders that are inflated by a small electric compressor, but the system is slow. Ride height will not change abruptly.

In my Cadillac Fleetwood are sagged springs or car is lovered from the fabric,

Is your car lowered? Are you sure that nobody altered the suspension and/or installed an aftermarket air ride system?

SalmonJan
08-09-11, 09:44 AM
I don´t know, the car is from Germany, but car seems original, you can look on my profile on facebook, i have some pictures of the car there. When i will replace shock absorbers i can make some pictures of the shocks. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001937448477

turbojimmy
08-09-11, 09:53 AM
I don´t know, the car is from Germany, but car seems original, you can look on my profile on facebook, i have some pictures of the car there. When i will replace shock absorbers i can make some pictures of the shocks. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001937448477

If your leveling system is not working, and the rear of the car is low and sitting on the frame it will ride like crap. You'll have very little shock action in the back and it will be very bouncy. The cars should sit fairly even front to back. I see a lot of them with their back ends dragging around - it affects the ride and handling.

Again, I think if you go with GM parts you won't be disappointed.

SalmonJan
08-09-11, 10:08 AM
Whole car is low, i think one or two inches, i will buy new springs and new regular shocks, i don´t like original rear shocks. Yes ride is very bouncy especially rear of the car.

sven914
08-09-11, 11:31 AM
V zadní vozidla odrazí, protože otřesy a pružiny jsou staré a opotřebované, což také dělá zadní sedí příliš nízko. Fe2 systém, který používá Cadillac, fungovala perfektně při udržování správné zadní stability. Jen proto, že vaše nefunguje, neznamená, že je to špatný systém.

Pokud nahradíte šoků s aftermarket nastavení, bude jezdit kvalita tuhé a tvrdé. Pokud nahradíte šoky s původního zařízení díly (GM nebo AC DELCO), tak kvalitu jízdy budou obnoveny s tím, co by mělo být, ne to, co je teď.

For the rest of us:

The rear of the car bounces because the shocks and springs are old and worn out, which is also making the rear end sit too low. The FE2 System, that Cadillac used, worked perfectly in maintaining correct rear end stability. Just because yours is not working, does not mean it was a bad system.

If you replace the shocks with an aftermarket setup, the ride quality will be stiff and harsh. If you replace the shocks with all Original Equipment parts (GM or AC DELCO), then the ride quality will be restored to what it should be; not what it is now.

SalmonJan
08-09-11, 12:10 PM
Thank you Sven i shall buy parts from AC DELCO.

RippyPartsDept
08-09-11, 01:26 PM
ok... so for some reason i didn't notice that you had posted you VIN in the first post... i could have ended the confusion instead of adding to it

sorry

previous posts about the computer 'selected' vs 'controlled' are correct

and you should stick with the OEM stuff... you will not be disappointed

sven914
08-09-11, 03:49 PM
Thank you Sven i shall buy parts from AC DELCO.

Your welcome.

Cadillacboy
08-09-11, 05:14 PM
AC Delco is the way to go , still yet to replace rear shocks lol