: Battery or alternator?



Igot82
08-08-11, 12:01 AM
I've had my '05 since mid-June of this year. The other day, we got caught in a rain storm, and had no choice but to drive through some bumper-high water to get home. We got it out today, and I noticed that it cranked a little slow, and keeps getting worse every time it's started. Battery voltage (on the screen) is showing between 13.1 and 13.6 driving, and between 10 and 11 engine off. I don't know if the battery has ever been changed, as it is still a delco, but I'm not getting any "no charge" messages. Any thoughts on this? I think I'll drop a new battery in it tomorrow and see what happens, just because it's the less expensive route. But I'm just wondering if any electrical guru's here may know if the water could have damaged my alt.

Thanks
Jake

heavymetals
08-08-11, 12:26 AM
Sounds like your battery took a dump.

If it was the alternator you would not have read 13.6.

cam3439
08-08-11, 03:47 AM
+1 on Heavy's comments, but you might want to check the connections of all the wires that you think might have gotten wet.

I had gone off-roading in my Tahoe once and got the whole engine bay wet with mud/water. I started to head back home when the vehicle started to have trouble charging and eventually died on me. I took off the alternator to get checked, which was good, and had the battery charged back up. I was still having the same problem. I found out that the alternator charging wire was getting false contact due to excessive build up of some type of film that happened when I got it wet with mud/water.

I soaked the ends of the wire in some carb cleaner, cleaned it, and washed the ends to take the cleaner off. I also cleaned the alternator charging wire's contact points on the vehicle. I hooked it all back up, and all was good. Just an FYI on what happened to me when I got the engine bay wet.

Igot82
08-08-11, 06:33 AM
Thanks guys, I'll get a battery today and check all my cables and connections.

Jake