: 2007 EXT Window Moldings & Bumper Loosing Clearcoat

COBlackZ06
08-07-11, 05:28 PM
The window moldings and bumper on my 2007 EXT are experiencing this:

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff18/psmulready/2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT/2011_0807Escalade0009resized.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff18/psmulready/2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT/2011_0807Escalade0008resized.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff18/psmulready/2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT/IMG_20110806_182756.jpg

I'm not actually sure that it's the clearcoat that's flaking off, because of you run a finger over it, the surface is still smooth. Whatever's going on appears to be happening under the clearcoat layer, and it's is on all four of my window moldings, in the space between the window and the chrome strip. and in the areas not covered by plastic on the rear bumper.

So, along with some other items I wanted the dealer to get done, on Friday, I asked my normal service writer at my local Cadillac dealership to see about getting this fixed under warranty. He calls me later in the day, and tells me that they can fix it, but that my factory warranty doesn't cover it. Parts and labor to fix it: just under $1,600.

I'm sorry, but I can't see how those window moldings are considered a "wear item", and they certainly aren't an aftermarket add on. Only four years since it came out of the factory, and either the paint or the clearcoat is coming off- and I'm told that's not covered under warranty? Has anyone else had this happen, and if so, what was your resolution to getting it fixed?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

COBlackZ06
08-09-11, 12:35 AM
(Bump)
Anyone?

d_v_o_1
08-09-11, 01:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your issue, I think it is quite common unfortunately. I know there are a couple of relatively recent threads on it so take a peak. One thing forsure is I would fight them on this, and fight hard. This issue is completely unacceptable for a SUV of this price point! Good luck tho and keep up posted on your progress.

hcvone
08-09-11, 06:25 AM
Common issue in Colorado, whatever they are using on your roads for ice and snow melt it's killing car moldings, and I have seen this on every car make from Benz to Ford, this is a real problem that was caused by your DOT

fivepix
08-09-11, 09:13 AM
I had the same issue on all my window trims, the dealer where I bought my truck from said the same thing "Wear item" so I went to another Cadillac dealer who fixed it under the bumper-to-bumper warranty no questions asked.

If you are under the Bumper-to-Bumper warranty they should be able to fix the window trim. Call Cadillac Service, you can also ask to speak to the service manager or just go to a different dealer.

Check out this thread:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/226752-gloss-black-trim-around-windows.html

I can only speak about the window trims not the bumper...

escaladeext1010
08-09-11, 09:35 AM
I just had all my moldings replaced last week. It was covered under my warranty, no questions asked.

Jory5
08-09-11, 03:50 PM
I just had all 4 of mine replaced as well under bumper to bumper, no problems & they replaced my faded front & back emblems. That is *not* a wear item issue caused by your DOT or any chemicals, all the escalades down here in Texas that have never seen snow or chemicals have it too, I believe its caused by UV damage.

fivepix
08-09-11, 04:17 PM
...its caused by UV damage.

Yes, that is exactly what I was told. which also means in a few years you might get the same issue again. The parts guy said each trim is around $500, so it would be $2,000 plus labor to have it fixed without B2B warranty.

I wonder if there are any products out there that we can use to help avoid the issue, some sort of UV protection wax we can rub on?

I know some dealers are re-spraying the parts with some sort clear coat that apparently it will solve the issue long term, but i don't have any details on that :(

Big Windy Ext
08-09-11, 04:24 PM
My window trim is doing the same,haven't gone to the dealer yet.My B2B is up and I fear GMPP won't pick it up either. I checked mine before the B2B was up after seeing others complain it was perfect of course at the time.

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-11-11, 10:17 AM
COBlackZ06,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Have you spoken with Cadillac Customer Assistance yet about this issue?

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

COBlackZ06
08-11-11, 12:03 PM
COBlackZ06,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Have you spoken with Cadillac Customer Assistance yet about this issue?

Thank you,

Hello, Elizabeth,
No, I have actually not yet gotten in contact with someone from Cadillac Customer Assistance yet, but I'm not certain I need to, now. (In fact, I haven't even been able to send a PM to you, as it seems my access to the Private Message system has been turned off.) I've been paying careful attention to this thread all week, and reading the thread that FivePix linked to. And based upon all that, I went back to the dealer who has now agreed to replace the moldings under my warranty (after a little of argument.)

Thank you, everyone, for your posts and advice, it was a huge help! My appointment to have my window moldings changed has been set for next week.
:cool:

-Patrick

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-11-11, 01:08 PM
COBlackZ06,

I can't message either. Whenever the site had their updates, the messaging wasn't working. As far as I know, it still doesn't work for anyone. Glad to hear everything got fixed! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-11-11, 01:32 PM
Big Windy Ext,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re also experiencing this issue. Have you spoken with GMPP to confirm if it is covered?

Thank you,