: You need to see (and hear) this!!!!!!

termn8r
10-21-04, 04:48 PM
exhaust rattle (http://www.elrobinson.ws/cadi3.wmv) It's a long, sad story about a lemon, but a short (3MB) video. I would appreciate comments. The credits will answer a lot of questions. It is all about the exhaust rattle TSB. Turn up your speakers.

Rolex
10-21-04, 05:19 PM
Holy cow that's loud. :bighead: I can see how that would be very frustrating. Here's a link to an old thread....check out post #6 by Mejia. Hope that helps!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9835&highlight=EXHAUST+RATTLE

hcvone
10-21-04, 05:27 PM
I would have switched dealership's after the second time, that is unreal that noise, to me it sounds like a broken baffle in the muffler or cat, this can be confirmed by tapping with a brass or copper hammer on each of those parts. Very sad service for sure :( :(

termn8r
10-21-04, 05:37 PM
That was entire exhaust replacement #1 it's on entire exhuast replacement #2 right now. it's about 90% quieter. I don't know what kind of exhaust is on it now. The muffler has GM and 9-23-04 stamped on it. The exhaust tip does not match the '04 tips, I'm wondering if it is an '05. It is round, chrome and slightly larger than the pipe??? Thanks for the support.

hcvone
10-21-04, 06:19 PM
Where are you from?

crusher
10-21-04, 06:33 PM
Been around a lot of Escalades and never heard anything like that before, that sucks.

cadtech
10-21-04, 07:47 PM
I have also been around alot of Cadillacs in general and it sounds like a loose shield on the muffler. There was a bullentin on this and how to quiet it. I can't believe this is somthing that can't be fixed. It does appear you got a 05 exhaust. There was a second fix that just came out but don't believe this is the same noise. You may want to try a different dealer.

hcvone
10-21-04, 08:35 PM
When did it start making this noise?

T_Dogg8
10-22-04, 07:22 AM
wow. that sucks. i've never heard anything like that on something like a caddy. they should have replaced the exhaust right away.

termn8r
10-22-04, 07:24 AM
I'm in Birmingham, Alabama. It started this @4,000 miles, local dealer (Tom Williams Cadillac) has replaced the entire exhaust system twice. That video was shot after the first replacement. The dealer actually refused to work on it any further, even when I showed the service manager that video. We called Cadillac and the first person we spoke to told us they had done all they could. Then, here's one of the first "kickers," we recieved a letter from Cadillac reminding us we had to go through the BBB mediation (in progress) as required in the warranty manual. Then, according to the dealer, Cadillac caled them and told them to replace the entire exhaust again. That's when we took it in again and it stayed for 8 days. We got 2 different stories on why it was taking so long. The service rep told me once that he was short on mechanics. He later told my wife that GM had sent the wrong parts and the exhaust system was too large to ship overnight. They are such pathological liars that they cannot keep their stories straight. We have an attorney and are taking the appropriate steps. Alabama has a good lemon law. Cadillac says they are not buying back these car for this. We'll see.
Thanks again for letting me vent.
Gary

hcvone
10-22-04, 08:16 AM
Gary, do you have a local mechanic that can put the car up on a lift for you? If you do they could lift your truck with someone in it, start it up and put it in drive to listen to the problem and get where the noise is coming from.

mastertech
10-22-04, 09:09 AM
Cadtech is right, there is a new TSB that has us replacing the heat shield AND clamps ont he muffler instead of just the clamps....what I find unusual is that it only applies to the 6.0 engine, and not the 4.8 or 5.3, which have virtually the same exhaust. Maybe there is some sort of backpressure problem, don't know for sure...I know it can be pretty annoying, though, and how long have they been making mufflers for? Hope yours gets resolved, Good Luck!

termn8r
10-22-04, 10:35 AM
Thank you mastertech. It is a 6.0 liter. The noise is most noticable at low speeds uphill, nothing at idle. Our driveway and the parking deck where my wife works are the best places to hear it. I'll post a pic of the new tip.

84caddy
10-22-04, 04:28 PM
I had a similar problem on my 03 ESV 6.0...but nowhere near as loud, but annoying as all hell...only happened at slow start from a stop, and only for about 3 seconds

dealer replaced entire exhaust (from an 04 I believe)...and in the shop for 10 days because "they sent a reg escalade exhaust instead of an esv"....4 months later the noise IS BACK :mad:

my exh tip is different now too

termn8r
10-27-04, 02:46 PM
Thanks again, the new (3rd) exhaust is doing it too at @2500 rpm. We're headed to BBB mediation.

Gary