: Test drove a Challenger R/T today...

agp
08-06-11, 05:43 PM
Man, that car floats! I had a hard time getting used to my CTS when I first got it, but at least it could turn. But the steering on the Challenger just feels dead. Nonetheless, it's a very very sweet car :D

Stingroo
08-06-11, 06:30 PM
Still waiting for greencadillacmatt's impressions of his new '09 Challenger RT.

orconn
08-06-11, 09:32 PM
Man, that car floats! I had a hard time getting used to my CTS when I first got it, but at least it could turn. But the steering on the Challenger just feels dead. Nonetheless, it's a very very sweet car :D

One of my requirements in a car, for me, is that it have steering with good and accurate feel. If a car had "dead" feeling steering it would immediately make "no thanks" list! The 'floating" suspension also would be a disqualifier. But, hey, a lot of people seem happy with their Challenger, so obviously there is a market for the car!

Aron9000
08-07-11, 02:40 AM
I think the Challenger drives/handles well for a 4100lb barge. Just as a general comment on new cars, why do they have to be so damn heavy???? My old 91 Cadillac Brougham weighed 4300lbs for a little bit of perspective. Now that was a barge!!

All that being said, I'd still take the Challenger over the new Camaro or Mustang based on looks alone.

greencadillacmatt
08-07-11, 04:15 AM
I freaking love my Challenger. It is big, and you can certainly feel the weight in the corners, but it makes me so happy to look at it, let alone drive it. And 372 HP makes me forget about the weight once you get around the corner. Well, that, and the traction control DOES turn off, which makes corners less of a handling excercise and more of a hold-it-and-dont-spin-it excercise. :lildevil:

agp
08-07-11, 09:45 AM
I think the Challenger drives/handles well for a 4100lb barge. Just as a general comment on new cars, why do they have to be so damn heavy???? My old 91 Cadillac Brougham weighed 4300lbs for a little bit of perspective. Now that was a barge!!

All that being said, I'd still take the Challenger over the new Camaro or Mustang based on looks alone.

The Challenger definitely trumps all other contemporary muscle cars in the looks department. The pony and Camaro looks good, but they don't have the aggressive look that muscle cars are supposed to have.

I freaking love my Challenger. It is big, and you can certainly feel the weight in the corners, but it makes me so happy to look at it, let alone drive it. And 372 HP makes me forget about the weight once you get around the corner. Well, that, and the traction control DOES turn off, which makes corners less of a handling excercise and more of a hold-it-and-dont-spin-it excercise. :lildevil:

I didn't really feel the engine when accelerating from a stop. I feel like the car is a little too heavy for the 5.7L to have any effect. Maybe the 6.1L will kick me back into my seat a little more.

Stingroo
08-07-11, 09:54 AM
Needs moar 392.

agp
08-07-11, 10:10 AM
Speaking of 392, I went in the dealer, and I asked the sales man "can you tell me more about the Challenger 392?" And his response was something along the lines of "The Challenger R/T? We have four of those, and a few SRT8 as well. Which one are you interested?" And I asked "what about the 392, you know the limited edition ones?" and he just looked at me like I was speaking Chinese to him...

Stingroo
08-07-11, 10:47 AM
That's pretty crappy.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-07-11, 11:44 AM
The dealer I work at had a Challenger R/T on the used car lot this spring. I drove it a few times and wasn't that impressed (no offence Matt). The car was huge and felt like I was sitting in a bathtub due to the high beltline and small windows and lastly I was very much unimpressed with the interior, even compared to the Mustang and Camaro. But, on the other side of the coin, the Hemi made wonderous noises and offered great power. I've never driven a car off our lot that more people would compliment me or ask me about, and I've driven Mustangs, Corvettes, RX-8's, Nissan Z's, 3 Series BMW's, etc etc.

I like the '11 Mustang GT the most, than the Camaro SS.

concorso
08-07-11, 05:45 PM
The heavier CTS-V outhandles the lighter Challenger muscle car. That statement speaks to history and against history all at the same time. :) I test drove the last gen SRT8, and while it was a fantastic package, the steering felt dead, like you describe. Thats a fault I cant overlook. I dont think its a weight issue, either. The 2nd gen V weighs as much or more then the Challenger, and feels like a go-cart comparatively.

orconn
08-07-11, 05:51 PM
The steering may be affected by the weight of the car, but the "dead" feel is just that a steering system designed to give no feel or feedback to the driver. Hence the feel of the 5th generation Seville and the Challenger!

93DevilleUSMC
08-07-11, 09:08 PM
This thread is worthless without a Chad- or Jesda- style review!

Destroyer
08-07-11, 09:19 PM
I'd still take the Challenger over the new Camaro or Mustang based on looks alone. I agree. The Mustang is the performer out of the bunch. I really wanted to like the new Camaro but I cannot get used to it's look. Both in and out I find it to be rather ugly, especially the ass end. The Challenger is gorgeous but I would have liked it slightly wider and lower like the original. Still, it looks more the part of the old school musclecar than either of the other two. I would have a hard time picking between an SRT8 Challenger and a new GT Mustang.

ga_etc
08-08-11, 01:50 AM
http://www.hashedcritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Chevrolet-Camaro-2011-Convertible.jpg :drool:

In all honesty though, I think I would have a hard time choosing between the 3.

brandondeleo
08-08-11, 01:57 AM
http://www.hashedcritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Chevrolet-Camaro-2011-Convertible.jpg :drool:

In all honesty though, I think I would have a hard time choosing between the 3.The vert Camaro is the only one I would even give a second thouht. The new Mustang is bad ass, but Mustangs are like *******s. Everybody has one. Challenger R/T FTW.

brandondeleo
08-08-11, 01:57 AM
And that's some lame ass surf behind it in the picture. Lol. Prob east coast...

STS_Seville_Hunter
08-08-11, 05:00 AM
Camaro convertable is just too big in person, with the top off it must really be like driving a literal bathtub.

brandondeleo
08-08-11, 06:34 AM
The doors do go up past the shoulder of the seats... Awkward.

EcSTSatic
08-08-11, 11:51 AM
My next car is going to have more conventional systems. I'm tired of these flavor of the month parts that get obsoleted in a year or so and impossible to maintain. I'm a person who likes to keep his car for a while. If a model can't provide suspension, steering , etc requirements on reliable and supportable systems, I'll pass. That said, I LOVE the looks of the Challenger. My high school dream was to own a Challenger T/A with the 340 sixpack.

k-kvGTXVJbA

thebigjimsho
08-08-11, 03:57 PM
Challengers are meh. Didn't love the original. Don't love the current one. While the Mustang is easily the ugliest of the group(but I really liked the previous gen), it's the one with the highest performance ceiling and it's the lightest. Boss 302, FTW.

The Camaro may be heavier but at least it's not inexcusably porky like the Dodge. And it handles better. And it sounds the best(LS motor, FTW) and I think it's the best looking of the 3.

brandondeleo
08-08-11, 04:13 PM
Absolute blasphemy. (Mopar lover.) :histeric:

agp
08-08-11, 05:15 PM
Assuming the Camaro and Stang handles similar to or only slightly better than the Challenger, I would choose the Challenger without a doubt. But if the handling is better, then there will be some serious self-debate.

orconn
08-08-11, 05:26 PM
How is the steering on the Camaro? Or the Mustang for that matter? If the steering is as dead as described on the Challenger, then all three can stay in the garages of the "straightline performance freaks" I'll stick with something that let's me know what's going on with the road and corners. There are cars that do steering feel weel, apparently the Callenger isn't one of them!

greencadillacmatt
08-08-11, 06:25 PM
I also really like the new Mustangs, but headroom killed it for me. I like the Challenger a lot more, but I couldn't get one with a sunroof. DAMN YOU LACK OF HEAD SPACE! The new Camaro was just a joke for someone 6'4"+ tall.

thebigjimsho
08-08-11, 07:10 PM
I also really like the new Mustangs, but headroom killed it for me. I like the Challenger a lot more, but I couldn't get one with a sunroof. DAMN YOU LACK OF HEAD SPACE! The new Camaro was just a joke for someone 6'4"+ tall.I know you bought a Challenger and I wasn't going to go p00p in your thread. I don't think the Challenger is an awful car, I just think it's 3rd in 3 pretty impressive cars. But, I will say, your white one with subtle stripes and R/T logo is one of the best ones I've seen. Really clean.

And I can't say anything bad about epic road trip/car purchase threads...

Destroyer
08-08-11, 11:23 PM
How is the steering on the Camaro? Or the Mustang for that matter? If the steering is as dead as described on the Challenger, then all three can stay in the garages of the "straightline performance freaks" I'll stick with something that let's me know what's going on with the road and corners. There are cars that do steering feel weel, apparently the Callenger isn't one of them!
The Mustang is a bit more than "straight line". It is the best muscle car out there. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwSPccbzl4

CHALLENGER VS CAMARO VS MUSTANG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB4vfZDYyO8&feature=relmfu

93DevilleUSMC
08-09-11, 03:51 AM

The steering is very, very responsive, and the handling is nicely balanced. The Camaro has the closet to even weight distribution of the three pony cars.

agp
08-09-11, 10:39 AM
This noise is pure ecstasy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4RFkTfgZbA