: 2007 Escalade Front Strut - ACDelco Replacement and Sensor Question

Aerocoupe
08-06-11, 03:22 PM
I have searched and found several posts on people griping about the cost of the OEM struts but not much on who has actually done the work. I have found some ACDelco replacement part numbers but I cannot tell if they have the sensor provision at the top of the strut. Does anyone have a picture of the OEM strut they can post so I can see how the sensor attaches to the strut? Also, what does the sensor measure? I see the one that is attached to the front control arm and the one on the rear of the vehicle on the upper control arm and do know that these are what allow the vehicle to auto level. The front struts are typical OEM coil overs that require removal and a wall mounted spring compressor to change the strut which I can have done locally. I am still not sure what the sensor on top of the strut does.

Darren

Aerocoupe
08-06-11, 08:45 PM
I was able to find a dealer in Dallas that was open and could explain the "sensor" to me. According to the technician it is used to adjust the valving in the shock as the ride control computer monitors the suspension. I am still very curious as to how it does this. I would thin that the diameter of the strut shaft would have to be larger to have any kind of adjusting mechanism. I am only going off of past experience based on my Mustang which has 1/2" diameter strut shafts and I have the Koni double adjustable struts on it but you adjust the rebound through the shaft and the bound at the base of the strut. Anyhow, if anyone can explain the to me I would appreciate it.

Darren

RippyPartsDept
08-06-11, 10:27 PM
some preliminary acdelco shock/strut info here
http://www.acdelco.com/parts/shocks-and-struts/premium-gas-charged-shocks-struts/

the escalade system is more complex with the sensors that let the computer know the height of the shock so it can then send a signal back to the shock to specify how the valving should operate to stiffen or soften the absorber

Aerocoupe
08-08-11, 11:04 AM
That is what I was starting to understand so thank you for closing the loop on that. I found a set with springs on Ebay from a auto recycler in Oklahoma City and bought them. I used to live in OKC and have dealt with them in the past when hunting up my five lug conversion and ABS for my Mustang.

They also have an add for the black struts just look in their store. I called an confirmed what I was getting and Lori was really easy to deal with and very knowledgeable.

Darren

Aerocoupe
08-08-11, 11:04 AM
I could not post the link until after that last post due to my post count being too low. The add is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140589873117

Darren

RippyPartsDept
08-08-11, 01:04 PM
you gotta wonder about those 'never used, never installed' OEM parts on ebay ...
but a deal is a deal and one that good is hard to pass up...

Aerocoupe
08-08-11, 03:00 PM
Well I am pretty leery about stuff like this but having dealt with them in person in the past I took their word for it. Lori absolutely guaranteed me that they were new parts. I called two Cadillac dealerships and the cost to replace the struts only was from $1200 to $1300. Not bad and the techs there are usually top notch but I can do this in about two hours in my garage for $500 and then take to have a $75 alignment. $575 versus $1200 is just a no brainer to me especially if this is also going to cost me a new set of tires due to cupping. I am headed up to Oklahoma in two weeks so if the parts are bogus its only an hour from my family's residence to the seller's place of business and I will return them as they have a 30 day return policy. For me this was an easy decision as I can do the installation myself and if I need to return them the cost is about $10 in gas.

Darren

Aerocoupe
08-15-11, 09:15 PM
I was able to get the new struts and springs installed today and what a difference! Install was two hours from start to finish with cleanup.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy142/dbrune_83/OldStrutsSprings.jpg http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy142/dbrune_83/NewStrutSpringInstalled.jpg

All I can say is that Lori at G&R was great to deal with and as you can see from the picture of the new assembly installed it was absolutely brand new.

Darren

SouthernCaddy
08-16-11, 03:50 PM
What was wrong with the old ones?

Aerocoupe
08-16-11, 06:59 PM
The struts were bad. They were leaking from the top and the truck was riding like it was on air shocks and 26's. You can see some of the debris that are attached to the strut (black area). I wiped some of it off explaining to her what the deal was and how this is typically a good sign the shocks are bad. At 70 mph on the highway if you ran across some rough road surface it would not want to track straight and the ride was terrible. With the new strut assemblies it handles them much better and it not uncomfortable to drive. I am just hoping the tires are not cupped as it has a shake at 65 to 70 that is not making the wallet feel too good. We are going to take it up to Firestone in the morning and have them check the tires our and rebalance them if they are not cupped and then have the alignment checked and corrected if necessary.

Darren

evois
05-12-14, 11:19 PM
can you buy an oem assembly which includes the springs?