: 2011 ext mpg

torched10
08-06-11, 02:33 PM
just traded in my 2003 EXT for a new one--a luxury model--got a great deal 59K for a 71K MSRP. LUV the new vehicle--but my mileage is worse than my 2003--my old one was getting 14 in city and 17 on highway--the new one is getting 11 and 15--i only have 600 miles on it, and maybe itll get better. I do notice a slight bobble while idling, so think maye theres something going on--but its not throwing any codes---whats your experience on this--thanks

teefrieson
08-06-11, 03:23 PM
that's what mines get, i put a k&n air intake and doesn't help.

torched10
08-06-11, 06:26 PM
what grade gas are u using?im going to do my next fill with non-ethanol gas and see how it works

PreachRR
08-06-11, 07:52 PM
I would allow for a little break in and see if it improves.. usually these things settle in and sort themselves out a bit..

skierjp
08-07-11, 08:44 AM
My 2011 does the same thing. It now has 8k miles on it and it's still the same. The mechanic was driving it and even noticed the bobble in the engine when idling. They couldn't find anything. The transmission also stubbles when driving 20 to 30 mph . My average mpg on my onstar phone app is 13. I've tried everything from 87 to 93 octane and there is no difference in performance or miliage. The computers adjust for octane and knock. I do live in Florida so maybe that's why I can't tell the difference ( no hills or mountains). I tow a Ski Nautique ( 4000 lbs) it does a great job. MPG drops to 10.
I wonder when the Ford Expedition and Navigator will be revamped? If they put the new EcoBoost engine in it I'll be trading. Goggle EcoBoost torture test and watch the videos (5). A couple of my friends have these engines in the F-150 and are loving life.

torched10
08-07-11, 10:02 PM
i get 11 so 13 sounds great. Try finding an ethanol free gas station--i started using it in my new Shelby and MPG improved by 10%--The EXT tank is 31 gallon so i need to drive a bit to put in the ethanol free stuff--heres a link to Fl stations http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=FL

hcvone
08-08-11, 08:39 AM
My 10's and 11' get 12 to 12.2 in the city, and 20 plus on the highway, and really 20 plus, but that took a lot of computer tuning and getting the 4 cylinder mode to stay engaged until 80 mph. You are getting what these trucks get for fuel mileage, a lot more power than your 03' had, I know I had an 03' too. :)

torched10
08-08-11, 10:53 AM
thanks---where did you get the computer tuning done---at a dealer or a preformnace shop

MrHolland
08-08-11, 10:55 AM
I would also be interested in this tuning as long as it wouldnt affect my warranty. If I think about a hill while driving or the wind blows it kicks out of 4 cylinder mode.....

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-10-11, 04:25 PM
Torched10,

The 2011 EXT has an EPA rating of 9 city, 13 highway and 10 combined. The 2011 EXT has an EPA rating of 13 city, 18 highway and 14 combined with E85. It looks like you’re getting better mileage than expected and you’re not even past the break in point yet. I would say that is pretty good. We do not have estimates of what type of mileage you should expect when active fuel management is engaged. I hope this has helped.

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

hcvone
08-10-11, 05:08 PM
The Caddy web site says 13 city 18 highway for the EXT, if they got 9 mpg there would be a steep gas guzzler tax on these trucks. :)

torched10
08-11-11, 09:42 AM
curious--why so much better with E85??

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-11-11, 10:53 AM
hcvone,

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. We have a chart that shows us the EPA tests. I went onto the fuel economy website and it is actually the other way around. So The 2011 EXT has an EPA rating of 9 city, 13 highway and 10 combined WITH E85. The 2011 EXT has an EPA rating of 13 city, 18 highway and 14 combined with gasoline. I do apologize for my mistake. Thank you again for bringing that to my attention. I will be letting our document writers know there is a mistake!

Torched,

I do apologize for the mistake. Since you only have 600 miles on your truck, it is not properly broke in. If you are still experiencing low mileage around the 5-6k mark, let me know.

Skierjp,

I remember setting up a case for you. I am going to look through it and see what I can do. I will get back with you when I have some information. Do you have an e-mail address?

Thank you!

torched10
08-11-11, 03:57 PM
Elizabeth as an engineer i know that E85 has less power than reg gas--so your advice didnt sound right--heres a link to a consumer reports study showing almost a 30% lower mpg with E85--so im thinking you got the numbers backwards ie E85 is 9/13 mpg and gas is 13/18 http://www.energyrefuge.com/archives/ethanol_reduces_mpg.htm can you confrim thanks

hcvone
08-12-11, 07:56 AM
Elizabeth as an engineer i know that E85 has less power than reg gas--so your advice didnt sound right--heres a link to a consumer reports study showing almost a 30% lower mpg with E85--so im thinking you got the numbers backwards ie E85 is 9/13 mpg and gas is 13/18 http://www.energyrefuge.com/archives/ethanol_reduces_mpg.htm can you confrim thanks

Less mpg's for sure with E85

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-13-11, 01:20 PM

Yes, I do understand. If you read the post above this one, I apologized for the mistake. My chart was indeed wrong and I did correct myself. I apologize again for the mistake.

Thank you,

torched10
08-26-11, 11:04 AM
UPdate--- i put in 93 and no ethanol gas and got the same mpg.I did a little engineering and figured maybe the digiatl gauge might be off.So i took total miles and divided it by total gas and got 12.6MPG--can you guys who are having mpg issues do the same math and see if we have a gauge issue--meanhwhile im going to do it the old way, fill up and track miles and gas and see what i get