Cadillac Owners Forum banner
10K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  lux hauler 
#1 ·
hey anybody know what happened to cad company ( www.cad500parts.com)

i was going to get an intake from them but thier phone # doesn't work and niether does the website

#3 ·
yes i was going to get the edel. but i was going to get the one that they port and pollish. i heard the regular edlelbrock intake can lose a few low end torque. i was going to get a performance fuel pump and preasure regulater as well.
ya i got the site to come up now but when i try to call the operator says the number is no longer in service :wtf:

#4 ·
dyess1133 said:
yes i was going to get the edel. but i was going to get the one that they port and pollish. i heard the regular edlelbrock intake can lose a few low end torque. i was going to get a performance fuel pump and preasure regulater as well.
ya i got the site to come up now but when i try to call the operator says the number is no longer in service :wtf:
Have you or do you plan to make any other mods to the engine? The as-cast Edelbrock will probably be more than enough for an otherwise stock engine.
I'm not sure what car you have but make sure before you drop money on the Edelbrock that it'll fit under the hood......it sets the carb three inches higher than the stock intake.

#5 ·
lux hauler said:
Have you or do you plan to make any other mods to the engine? The as-cast Edelbrock will probably be more than enough for an otherwise stock engine.
I'm not sure what car you have but make sure before you drop money on the Edelbrock that it'll fit under the hood......it sets the carb three inches higher than the stock intake.

That is correct, stock height from the pan to cleaner was 29" and pan to cleaner with the edelbrock is approx 31"

#6 ·
i have an open k&n air cleaner on ther now with the stock everything. above that i have exactly 3-5/8" clearance. i'm also puting an edelbrock 1411 carb on it. the air cleaner housing that i have on there now is 3" tall so if i run into any clearance issues, wich i shouldn't, i can put a lower profile air cleaner on it, and maybe depending on the carb a dropped base air cleaner.

by the way, i did finnaly get ahold of them

#7 · (Edited)
dyess1133 said:
i have an open k&n air cleaner on ther now with the stock everything. above that i have exactly 3-5/8" clearance. i'm also puting an edelbrock 1411 carb on it. the air cleaner housing that i have on there now is 3" tall so if i run into any clearance issues, wich i shouldn't, i can put a lower profile air cleaner on it, and maybe depending on the carb a dropped base air cleaner.

by the way, i did finnaly get ahold of them
It's your money and you can spend it how ever you choose but i my opinion, $350 is alot of money to spend when it's not really necessary.....I think a $255 "as cast" Edelbrock will do everything you need on a stock engine.....a modified stock intake would probably make a noticable difference.

Here are some flow numbers that were posted on another board by a guy that knows BBCads. The stock intake used had the center section (where the carb mounts) removed.

(The below quote was modified to make it easier to understand.....no disrespect intended. The information contained within remains basically the same). :)

Tiny Donovan said:
Flow results for a 493 head with carb and stock intake with the middle milled out vs Edelbrock intake

--------Stock Milled-------------------Edelbrock
.600..........-----..............................227.90

The test for the stockie was stopped early. I believe it would have gone 223cfm.

#10 ·
davesdeville said:
Flash says the regular Edelbrock will sacrifice some torque for HP, they claim theirs loses less. They also claim theirs corrects some of the mixture balance problems. Don't know if that's worth $100, but they know what they're doing and it won't hurt anything but your wallet.

E-Brocks are better than nothing, but they are known for mixture balance issues . and rough casting which has verying flow rates. not just the cad intakes eiter

#11 ·
If you arent building a 500 that will see over 4000 RPM alot ,and a street engine wont a modified stock intake will do everything you need and free up some cash for something else

Look at the flow numbers compiled by Donovan and posted by Lux Hauler
The ends people will go to sell you parts that do nothing will never end.

#14 ·
dave is right the edebrock intake is a good intake up to about 500 hp ... and my flow testing has showen that the edebrock is about 5%(not that that is a lot) higher flow then a modofied stock intake and you don't have the 1 inch up hill to pull the fuel out of the air so they drive nice ... and we are talking out of the box edebrock you will need to do some work on a stock to get it up to the edebrock and down the road you could port the heads and the edebrock intake and get even more out of it .......as for not gettin ahold of flash (CMD) he is there but it is just him and chris and it tends to get busy and they have more lines then people .... it is worth the call they have made more power with a caddy motor then any other vender .......

#17 ·
Potter had a seriously hurt engine that was re assembled in the parking lot at the dyno challenge.
The thrust was out of it.
the pushrods were for whatever reason rubbing the head.
the lobes were just about wiped off due to some binding somewhere.
And add that comps dyno is almost always low.
And FWIK the engine in the coupe is running alky

Ill just stick by what I said before and leave it at that :thumbsup:

#18 ·
flashs engine for the emc was not perfect either it was running 16 to 1 air fuel during most of the runs and no time to fix it ....

besides it is sad that you as a "vender" have never made that kind of power yourself and have to brag about another vender

and dont get me wrong I like richard potter .... and he and flash ar neck and neck in power .... and for your information flash has not always been on alk and with its help is over the 800 hp mark he has been racing his car for over 30 years ( a car that weighs 4500 w driver and goes 11.17 at a track that is 5500 ft up and dry air to where 6800 is a good day for air )..... and knows a great deal about these engines ...... I always injoy talking to both of them ....

#20 ·
CC, when Torque Inc gets that redonkulous 545 he talked about on the cb7 board on the dyno you probably won't be able to say that anymore. I don't see any good coming from you two starting that bs again over here, I don't think torque was trying to so you should probably lay off..

#21 ·
Nope
that was not my intention at all.
My point is that if you look at power output Rich has his s**t together and has proven it.
the 545 will make some noise but customer projects come first.
Only one man show here and hopefully this winter it will finally get finished.

#22 ·
dyess1133 said:
A port and polish on that intake will only lose you more low-end. What they do by porting is increase the volume of the runners, which slows the intake velocity. Without that velocity, the fuel has a harder time staying suspended in the air, and the engine also cannot build up further intake velocity as quickly; in plain english, it loses you low-end.

Edelbrock makes two series of intakes for street cars, the first is Performer, the second is Performer RPM. The Performer is probably what you want as it uncorks enough volume to give you a legitimate top end and midrange gain while preserving low end. the Performer RPM is bigger and will flow more, but really is only worth it if you have supporting mods, i.e. better heads, bigger cam, etc. Hope this helps!

#23 ·
They do not make a RPM for a cadillac and what Cad Co is trying to do is to make the intake large enough for the engine it was designed for.
They also try and balance out the runners,IMO they can use it.
It has some shortcomings and there are things you can do to make it better.
Everyone write edelbrock and try and convince them to build a RPM or better yet an RPM airgap.

#24 ·
I'm sure some of you read what Terry wrote on the other board about the Cad Co. Edelbrock intake......He is running both intakes on different cars. He said the fuel mixture problem of the "as cast" Edelbrock still exists in the Cad Co intake........he sees no reason to spend the extra $ on the Cad Co. intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.