: how do I delete/cancel a classified ad?

ehall
08-04-11, 05:17 PM
can't find any way to conclude a classified sale

help?

Ranger
08-04-11, 09:23 PM
Click on "product Options" on the right side. A drop down menu will appear. Place your cursor over the icons and it will tell you what they are. I think you want the edit or maybe the sold it button.

ehall
08-05-11, 05:33 PM
thanks Ranger, I saw that drop-down earlier but didn't figure to hover on the icons

AAIIIC
08-17-11, 01:24 PM
That's just one of the superb features offered by the horribly non-user-friendly classifieds on this site - icons that are completely non-intuitive, so you can't figure out what they mean until you hover over them for a second or two and it tells you what they mean! Awesome!

Lord Cadillac
08-17-11, 01:43 PM
That's a bug. We're looking into revamping the entire classifieds system. What else is horribly non-user friendly?

That's just one of the superb features offered by the horribly non-user-friendly classifieds on this site - icons that are completely non-intuitive, so you can't figure out what they mean until you hover over them for a second or two and it tells you what they mean! Awesome!

AAIIIC
08-20-11, 10:17 AM
That's a bug. We're looking into revamping the entire classifieds system. What else is horribly non-user friendly?
I was actually going to start a new thread about the Classifieds, but now that you've asked here...

- My biggest complaint is that the Classifieds aren't just set up like the "regular" forums. On all of the other automotive forums that I visit, the Classifieds look and work just like the rest of the forum - you create a thread, people reply to the thread, life goes on. (See ls1tech.com, nasioc.com, rs25.com, corner-carvers.com, club3g.com, etc). Here, instead of using the same thread format that everyone is accustomed to using, we use the Photopost Classifieds software. It is more cumbersome to create an ad in Photopost than it would be to just create a new thread, and I see little to no value added from the Photopost way of doing things. The Photopost format asks for a bunch of information that is unnecessary or moot - for instance, how many ads are listed on this site using something other than US dollars? If I'm trying to sell a part, what does my VIN have to do with anything? How many ads are actually created as auctions or using the "Buy it now" feature? I'm guessing it's a tiny percentage of the ads since I've never seen one, so all those auction related questions and options are just cluttering up the form.

- The text editor for the Photopost software includes a whole bunch of stuff that is, again, unnecessary, and much of it doesn't even work.
http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/For%20sale/worthless%20editor.png
Bolding does not work, but lines out do. You can't do a subscript or a superscript, but you can shade your text. Why? Who knows?! The Photopost text editor is more complicated than the already-filled-with-features-that-nobody-uses vBulletin 4.x.x text editor. For me, the slowest thing to load on both vBulletin and Photopost, both in Firefox at home and in IE at work, is those text editors. You want to alleviate server load issues? Go back to the simple text editors we had before.

- If you edit an ad, there are no costs next to the bold/highlight/italicize options (as seen in the screenshot above). If you click on one of those options, blissfully unaware of what you're doing, then submit your edits, you get taken to a page that tells you to pay up. There is no option to go back (as there is on every other website that is asking you to pay for something). If you hit the back button on your browser, it tells you that you can't access that ad, because there is an outstanding payment on it. So, because the Photopost software is stupid, you just lose that ad.

- As far as I can tell, there is no way to get notification if someone replies to your ad (unlike with a regular thread, where you can turn on notification via email). There is also no notification if someone sends you a message/PM in the Classifieds (unlike the PMs in the normal forums, where you can turn on notification via email for new PMs). The only way to know someone has sent you a message is by this rather unobtrusive indication at the top of the classifieds, which is very easy to miss:
http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/For%20sale/message%20notification.png

So, I click on the [1 message] notification and I come to this:
http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/For%20sale/reply%20to%20message.png

When I hit the circled "Reply", I get this:
http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/For%20sale/worthless%20reply.png

Yup, that's right, I want to reply to myself. :helpless: And unlike a PM in the normal forums, I can't select who I want to send it to - Photopost cleverly sets it so that it will reply just to me, and there's nothing I can do to change that. Brilliant!

- If you click on a user's name in a Photopost ad, it takes you to this very informative profile page:
http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/For%20sale/profile1.png

I'm not sure what's supposed to be in the Profile, since there's doesn't seem to be any way to edit or add to it. But if you click on Statistics, you'll see this:
http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/For%20sale/profile2.png

Note that for some reason the link to the user's forum profile, which actually does have useful information, is included on the Statistics page. :confused:

- The main classifieds page says, "DO NOT post ads in the wrong area. For example, posting ads for WHEELS in the CTS area is wrong. Use the PARTS area." Since I only visit the CTS-Vs for Sale forum, which is directly linked from the CTS-Vs forum listing (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/), it took me about 4 years to see that comment. I imagine most other users also go directly to the classifieds forum that pertains to their particular vehicle(s), so it's not surprising that this direction on how/where to post ads is generally ignored. Either enforce the "rule", or don't bother to post it.

- Having a single "Parts" forum with no break-down by vehicle model, year, type of part, etc, is stupid, particularly since the search function doesn't work (as discussed below). So, if you're going to enforce the "rule" on not posting parts for sale in the cars for sale sections, then you need to make the parts for sale section more user-friendly. As a reference, see every other automotive forums' classifieds, which are logically broken down by part type (engine, drivetrain, suspension & brakes, wheels & tires, etc) at the very least.

- The "Search" window in each of the classified sub-forums doesn't work, and neither does the "sort by" pull down menu. If you put a term into the "Search" window and click "Go", it acts like it's doing a search (it thinks for a couple seconds, the page reloads), but the "search" returns every ad in that sub-forum. If you try to sort the ads using the pull-down menu, it reloads the page and shows you the exact same order they were already in (Most Recent).
http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/For%20sale/sort%20and%20search%20broken.png

The "Recent Ads" filter automatically shifts you to viewing ads from every sub-forum. So, if you're in the CTS-Vs for Sale sub-forum and you click on "last 7 days", rather than seeing the last 7 days worth of ads from the CTS-Vs for Sale sub-forum, you get to see the last 7 days worth of ads from every sub-forum. Not very helpful.

Note that the "Search" window on the main classifieds index page does work, but obviously that gives search results from every sub-forum, which is less than helpful. If you view "all ads" and use the pull-down menu to sort them, that works, too.

RippyPartsDept
08-20-11, 10:32 AM
i agree w/ AAIIIC
the classifieds seemed very weird and byzantine when i tried to set up some ads back when we first became an authorized dealer here
it just didn't seem to work very well both for sellers and buyers

AAIIIC
08-24-11, 10:27 AM
You're welcome.

Lord Cadillac
08-24-11, 11:45 AM
Thank you. I'm working on the new classifieds area and should have something for you to see shortly...

You're welcome.

Lord Cadillac
08-24-11, 01:39 PM
The new Cadillac Classifieds (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-classifieds-marketplace/) area is up and running. The old system will continue working as long as people continue using it. You now have an option to use whichever one is most comfortable for you...

AAIIIC
08-28-11, 08:01 PM
Hooray!

AAIIIC
09-02-11, 10:12 AM
The new Cadillac Classifieds (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-classifieds-marketplace/) area is up and running. The old system will continue working as long as people continue using it.
I'm happy that the forum-style classifieds are now available. However, I think having both systems is counter-productive. The new classifieds will likely remain lightly populated due to the way the forums are laid out. The Classifieds links in each of the car forums link to the old classifieds, so someone looking to post an ad will tend to go there, and same for those searching for parts. Your announcement was only up for a few days before being supplanted by the current announcement, so some people may not even realize that the new Marketplace exists. I imagine most people have their browser link set up to go directly to their appropriate car forum, so they probably very rarely visit the forum main index page, in which case they are unlikely to ever even see the new Marketplace.

Lord Cadillac
09-02-11, 01:19 PM
Okay. Check out the header area. I'm not sure that's the perfect solution - but it should bring more traffic to the new classifieds area...

I'm happy that the forum-style classifieds are now available. However, I think having both systems is counter-productive. The new classifieds will likely remain lightly populated due to the way the forums are laid out. The Classifieds links in each of the car forums link to the old classifieds, so someone looking to post an ad will tend to go there, and same for those searching for parts. Your announcement was only up for a few days before being supplanted by the current announcement, so some people may not even realize that the new Marketplace exists. I imagine most people have their browser link set up to go directly to their appropriate car forum, so they probably very rarely visit the forum main index page, in which case they are unlikely to ever even see the new Marketplace.

RippyPartsDept
09-02-11, 01:54 PM
the "(Old System)" had me confused ... i thought that the forum classifieds were new here... but i guess they're old in vbulletin terms ....

Lord Cadillac
09-02-11, 02:27 PM
There's two links. One is for the (main) classifieds system (the new one) and the other is for the old system. I'll try to make it more obvious that they're separate links.

RippyPartsDept
09-02-11, 03:27 PM
yeah it's much more obvious now... cool

AAIIIC
09-04-11, 06:04 PM
These links still take everyone to the "old" system:

http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/For%20sale/old%20classifieds%20link1.png

http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/For%20sale/old%20classifieds%20link2.png

I could be wrong, but my guess is that is how most people jump to the Classifieds, since those links go from their specific model forum to the ads for their specific model.

Lord Cadillac
09-06-11, 12:11 PM
This is part of the growing pains associated with starting a new area. This new spot will grow slowly. I can't direct all links to this new area while there are no ads. There are plenty of people who used the old system without issue - and their ads are still running there. I hope that people do not use the old area when looking to advertise - and have added a note to the top of the page showing people where the new spot is. I just can't completely kill the old area while there are still ads running in it. If everything works out right, FROM THIS POINT ON, people will either post new ads in both spots - or just use this one. In time, we can direct all classified links away from the old system and toward the new one...

Ranger
09-06-11, 02:49 PM
Is it possible to block posting on the old one and just let it run it's coarse, then kill it when there are no more ads?

JimmyH
09-06-11, 08:18 PM
^that would be ideal

Lord Cadillac
09-07-11, 03:02 PM
I WILL get to this.. It's just going to require some time on my end... If I don't make it happen soon, please remind me. My to-do list is too long right now to even add this...

JimmyH
09-07-11, 06:16 PM
Give Sal a break. He is really busy this time of year hand-making rag dolls in time for the holidays.

Lord Cadillac
09-07-11, 06:18 PM
Let me know if you want the same order as last year...

Give Sal a break. He is really busy this time of year hand-making rag dolls in time for the holidays.

Ranger
09-07-11, 09:54 PM
Touche!

AAIIIC
02-12-12, 11:35 AM
Is it possible to block posting on the old one and just let it run it's coarse, then kill it when there are no more ads?
I WILL get to this.. It's just going to require some time on my end... If I don't make it happen soon, please remind me. My to-do list is too long right now to even add this...
Reminder time. :)

AAIIIC
05-31-12, 08:05 PM
Reminder time. :)
Reminder on the reminder.

92dElegance
06-25-12, 01:01 PM
This isn't very user friendly!