: We have a glimpse of a new upcoming Cadillac and nobody got excited...

Lord Cadillac
08-04-11, 04:16 PM
...so I thought I'd post a link in the lounge hoping to get more input or stir up a little excitement... GM DOES come here to get input from us so it would be kinda cool if we could give them some...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-picture-forum/236730-anyone-want-undisguised-look-ats.html

Cadillac Kid03
08-04-11, 04:24 PM
Gotta say it looks really good.

RippyPartsDept
08-04-11, 04:40 PM
yeah i'm excited, can't you tell?

Submariner409
08-04-11, 05:43 PM
Ricer.

Lord Cadillac
08-04-11, 05:56 PM
yeah i'm excited, can't you tell?

Okay, I admit - the design isn't exactly "exciting" from the side - but I AM excited that Cadillac is about to play in this segment...

Ricer.

What do you mean?

hueterm
08-04-11, 06:04 PM
If they want to play in the small category (well...small"er", given the CTS and SRX) then fine. Not my thing.

Take the money you make off of it and build the Ultra engine -- then build a big V8 sedan and coupe.

Then I'll get excited.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-04-11, 06:12 PM
Better looking than a C-Class for sure.

brandondeleo
08-04-11, 06:12 PM
At that angle it reminds me of the new C63 AMG.

C&C
08-04-11, 06:24 PM
Saw it; can't tell much (at least I can't).

vincentm
08-04-11, 07:32 PM
Ricer.

^This

orconn
08-04-11, 07:58 PM
With America's waistline is seeming to grow by the month (at least if the waitresses in Richmond are any indication) I wonder if even young yuppies will be able to fit in this new model in a couple of years!

Even BMW and Mercedes have increased the size of their "entry" level cars, I wonder if this trend will allow GM to amortize the tooling and deveopment costs of ATS before it becomes obsolete due to an morbidly obese buying public.

cadillac kevin
08-04-11, 09:23 PM
who cut the trunk off the car? reminds me of the 300 in that you have a car with good proportions but then the trunk is out of proportion compared to the rest of the car. if the deck lid were about twice as long it would look alot better. Also whats with the drivers door handle? its so far down the door.
but I am digging the proportions of the front 2/3 of the car.

thebigjimsho
08-05-11, 12:19 AM
I like it!

93DevilleUSMC
08-05-11, 03:11 AM
I want this car in an evil way.

Jailtime
08-05-11, 04:13 AM
I want it, bad. It's gonna look great in V trim. It could use a bit more of the angular lines from Art & Science theme.

2005CTS-V
08-05-11, 02:01 PM
Pretty sweet looking, I can't wait to see what it looks like from the front.

ThumperPup
08-05-11, 03:41 PM
im going to go bust open the piggie bank and count my quarters maybe i have enough to get one
but will the dealer take them unrolled or do i have to put them in wrapers and roll them that will suck

77CDV
08-05-11, 10:47 PM
Unobjectionable for what it wants to be.

Jesda
08-06-11, 01:57 AM
Unobjectionable is a fitting adjective.

I think I've been spoiled by 10 years of stunning, dramatic designs from Cadillac. Anything softer than "Break Through" looks Buicky.

bill57
08-06-11, 11:45 AM
I hate these foreign-looking "puddle jumpers" that have no rear (trunk) deck. And I don't understand how Cadillac owners who have purchased Fleetwoods and Sedan Devilles through the late eighties and early nineties, and who continued ownership of Devilles and DTS sedans through the twenty-first century, can honestly like something as diversely different as this.
OK, I'm "out of touch", but how can anyone else fiitting the above description buy into a Jap clone bearing a Cadillac marque?

RippyPartsDept
08-06-11, 12:27 PM
I don't think cadillac is trying to build and market this car for the past owners of cadillacs
said another way: this is not a replacement for any car cadillac has built
it is a new car for a market segment that cadillac has tried to get into for a long time
remember the cimmaron? catera? cts? ... well looks like the third time was a charm since the cts is going great
so they're going to be replacing the cts with this new car (the ats)
the cts will move up in size and replace the sts
the xts will hopefully be big enough to replace the dts
and of course they've still got the srx and escalade for those who like to sit higher up off the road

and the ats is far from a 'jap clone'

93DevilleUSMC
08-06-11, 12:52 PM
Let's enjoy American performance luxury now, BEFORE Obama's 54 MPG rule takes that away from us permanently and leaves us with amorphous, inoffensive, politically correct, perfomormance-lacking, aerodynamic blobs that keep us all safe from the non-existent threat of global warming. ...end of line...

RippyPartsDept
08-06-11, 01:49 PM
there's still 14 years between now and then ... how much do you want to bet that the timeframe gets pushed back farther? or that something else happens?

14 years is a lot of time ... a lot could happen...

heck, anything could happen!
the flux capacitor might get invented - maybe we'll see flying cars that run on compost!
and garbage disposals that turn garbage into water!

93DevilleUSMC
08-06-11, 02:13 PM
Or maybe that damn law will be fought and repealed? Or Cadillac will grow balls and suck up whatever guzzler taxes and penalties the Feds impose, and build the best cars they can? I don't want to see more "green" this or "Earth-friendly" that or "recycled materials" in the seats! I want to see more Vs! I want to see more performance, design advancements, and fine materials throughout!

orconn
08-06-11, 02:17 PM
Or maybe that damn law will be fought and repealed? Or Cadillac will grow balls and suck up whatever guzzler taxes and penalties the Feds impose, and build the best cars they can? I don't want to see more "green" this or "Earth-friendly" that or "recycled materials" in the seats! I want to see more Vs! I want to see more performance, design advancements, and fine materials throughout!

And all at a low used car price I can afford!

bill57
08-06-11, 03:17 PM
I don't think cadillac is trying to build and market this car for the past owners of cadillacs
said another way: this is not a replacement for any car cadillac has built
it is a new car for a market segment that cadillac has tried to get into for a long time

So, it's like Harley-Davidson wants to market a bike to a segment of motorcycle buyers that haven't purchased a Harley before. So they make a copy of a Moped and slap on the Harley logo. And if it works, they no longer care about their past customers who liked the "hog", unless of course, those previous Hog buyers start buying the Moped knock-off.

RippyPartsDept
08-06-11, 04:43 PM
what makes you think that cadillac will no longer care about it's past customers if the ats is successful ?

and harley did come out with the buell brand, right?

concorso
08-07-11, 07:07 PM
I hate these foreign-looking "puddle jumpers" that have no rear (trunk) deck. And I don't understand how Cadillac owners who have purchased Fleetwoods and Sedan Devilles through the late eighties and early nineties, and who continued ownership of Devilles and DTS sedans through the twenty-first century, can honestly like something as diversely different as this.
OK, I'm "out of touch", but how can anyone else fiitting the above description buy into a Jap clone bearing a Cadillac marque?How is this a Japanese clone? Your rant is soo far removed from reality, its unreal...ity. If this photo indicates it resembles any car, its the new C-class. Short decks are not reserved to Japanese cars. The short rear deck has been here for years, and has been used on many many small cars. The Cadillac owners you refer to, are dying off. Cadillac was doing a poor job of attracting new customers to replace that aging demographic...until the 1st gen CTS came along. Seriously, this is the new Cadillac, and has visually been the new Cadillac for almost 10 years now. Small vehicles are Cadillacs bread'n'butter now...time to move on, forget the stereotypical Cadillac and Cadillac owner, and focus on what the market wants, and how Cadillac can give that market its own interpretation of a great car.
Or...just build big ol poor handling gas guzzling boats, wait until that demo dies, and shut down Cadillac.

concorso
08-07-11, 07:08 PM
So, it's like Harley-Davidson wants to market a bike to a segment of motorcycle buyers that haven't purchased a Harley before. So they make a copy of a Moped and slap on the Harley logo. And if it works, they no longer care about their past customers who liked the "hog", unless of course, those previous Hog buyers start buying the Moped knock-off.Harley has little trouble attracting new buyers, which was one of Cadillacs biggest problems a few years ago...

concorso
08-07-11, 07:14 PM
From what little I can see, it looks very good. Perfect amount of rake, swept headlights and taillights, chiseled lines...

V8, recaros, brembos, diff/trans cooler, 3.73 gears, hi-perf tires, Magnaride suspension...thats what Im looking for!

93DevilleUSMC
08-07-11, 08:02 PM
And all at a low used car price I can afford!

Right!! Granted, it's a bloody Cadillac and isn't supposed to be too affordable, but it shouldn't sell for Hyundai prices either.

RippyPartsDept
08-07-11, 08:18 PM
ats-v will almost surely come to market the following year (as it did for both generations of the cts and the sts)

93DevilleUSMC
08-07-11, 08:22 PM
ats-v will almost surely come to market the following year (as it did for both generations of the cts and the sts)

Is it supposed to use the new small-block V-8 or a twin-turbo 3.6?

Rodya234
08-07-11, 08:26 PM
I think the car looks Hellza Ballza. It carries the CTS design language over to the smaller body pretty well, I hope the front and rear ends do the same.

RippyPartsDept
08-07-11, 08:27 PM
they have not formally/officially announced the v engine... there were some leaks as to what it would be but nothing official

try looking in the ats subforum section of this site... there are some threads that might interest you there if you're looking for more info

agp
08-07-11, 09:54 PM
I want one. Doesn't matter if there's no V version. I'll drive the base model as a daily commuter.

bill57
08-08-11, 09:31 AM
what makes you think that cadillac will no longer care about it's past customers if the ats is successful ?

Here is the answer to that question from Post #28:
"The Cadillac owners you refer to, are dying off. Cadillac was doing a poor job of attracting new customers to replace that aging demographic...until the 1st gen CTS came along. Seriously, this is the new Cadillac, and has visually been the new Cadillac for almost 10 years now. Small vehicles are Cadillacs bread'n'butter now...time to move on, forget the stereotypical Cadillac and Cadillac owner, and focus on what the market wants, and how Cadillac can give that market its own interpretation of a great car.
Or...just build big ol poor handling gas guzzling boats, wait until that demo dies, and shut down Cadillac".

And we ARE dying off! I bought my first full size luxury sedan in 1985 while you were still in Kindergarten. Cadillac no longer cares about my diminishing segment, as Concorso so accurately explained.

RippyPartsDept
08-08-11, 11:40 AM
i agree with you on that, but i don't agree that cadillac 'no longer cares' about your segment of the market ... XTS is coming... flagship is in the works and coming down the pipe soon

this discussion reminds me of a song i saw recently online

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN0j6AEucXI

song begins about a minute and a half into the video

thebigjimsho
08-08-11, 03:00 PM
OK, I'm "out of touch", but how can anyone else fiitting the above description buy into a Jap clone bearing a Cadillac marque?They're all dead or in hospice. Yep, out of touch...

thebigjimsho
08-08-11, 03:04 PM
"The Cadillac owners you refer to, are dying off. Cadillac was doing a poor job of attracting new customers to replace that aging demographic...until the 1st gen CTS came along. Seriously, this is the new Cadillac, and has visually been the new Cadillac for almost 10 years now. Small vehicles are Cadillacs bread'n'butter now...time to move on, forget the stereotypical Cadillac and Cadillac owner, and focus on what the market wants, and how Cadillac can give that market its own interpretation of a great car.
Or...just build big ol poor handling gas guzzling boats, wait until that demo dies, and shut down Cadillac".

And we ARE dying off! I bought my first full size luxury sedan in 1985 while you were still in Kindergarten. Cadillac no longer cares about my diminishing segment, as Concorso so accurately explained.As did Dodge, as did Lincoln, as did everyone...unless you want to spend near $100G for a luxo-barge...

brandondeleo
08-08-11, 03:11 PM
In the shortest way I can think of explaining it, not only the geriatric support the full size luxury niche, but even with its other supporters the market is too small to support the production of another Fleetwood Brougham-esque vehicle.

JimmyH
08-08-11, 05:51 PM
not sure how anyone can think it looks rice. It looks just like the CTS.

gary88
08-08-11, 06:03 PM
Because it has similar proportions to a G35, making it rice by association :noidea:

thebigjimsho
08-08-11, 06:14 PM
Rice is sitting in my colon with some corn and Ring Dings. Rice by association?

RippyPartsDept
08-08-11, 08:05 PM
i'm eating stir fry tonight ... with rice of course

The Raven
08-08-11, 09:42 PM
The more my father hates this car, the more successful it's going to be. It's very comforting to see all these old guys complaining about the new designs...this proves that Cadillac is moving full steam in the right direction. As far as possible from the 1990's is where Cadillac needs to be.

My wife is waiting impatiently for the ATS-V to show up on dealer lots.

notld67
08-08-11, 09:49 PM
Looks like a 1st gen cts and a mercedes c class had a love child. I like it but then again I own a 1st gen cts. What are they are planning on charging for it? I keep asking that because if you look around you can get a 3.0 cts new for like 36k, are they planning on selling this for what a low end cts sells for now and jacking up the cts cost? kind of like when bmw brought out the 1 series, it was supposed to be entry level but they sell for the same cost basically as a 3.

JimmyH
08-08-11, 10:55 PM
there will probably be an uncomfortable overlap of the ATS with 3.0L CTS for a year or so. common sense suggests that the 3rd gen CTS will be larger and more expensive. It will likely sell less units, so the 3.0L will probably be discontinued in the CTS. While the ATS, if successful, will handily outsell the CTS several times over. That's my theory anyway. And I am sticking with it.

mberisha
08-09-11, 03:34 AM
i'm eating stir fry tonight ... with rice of course

I had chicken and rice last nite.....mmmmm....rice is sooo yummy.....by association of course!

Playdrv4me
08-09-11, 06:11 AM
I tell you what, it's definitely a car.

Jesda
08-09-11, 07:23 AM
Four wheels. Standard.

hueterm
08-09-11, 10:35 AM
Smallness...standard...

thebigjimsho
08-10-11, 10:49 AM
Uh oh, Ian and Jesda are poasting in tune again. That can only mean one thing...

Jesda
08-10-11, 11:23 AM
I am not adopting another Ian car.

Ever.

Ever!

thebigjimsho
08-10-11, 01:20 PM
That's not the one thing.

concorso
08-10-11, 05:23 PM

And we ARE dying off! I bought my first full size luxury sedan in 1985 while you were still in Kindergarten. Cadillac no longer cares about my diminishing segment, as Concorso so accurately explained.I joined Kindergarten in '88. Its a shame that they cant build a classic Cadillac anymore, but they need to survive. I also think the XTS is going to be very nice, and hopefully there'll be a version with a very smooth ride and super plush seats. That Magnaride suspension with a soft-tune would be fantastic. Add in alot of high end leather, and an easy to use driver information centre, and it should be very successful.

RippyPartsDept
08-10-11, 05:30 PM
YUP... i'm pretty sure that's what they're aiming for

JimmyH
08-11-11, 05:01 PM
If they could have an XTS for those who want to drive their sofa, and one for those who want to drive, that would be even better.

RippyPartsDept
08-11-11, 06:50 PM
like they did for the dts (perf vs lux)?? and the difference between an SLS and an STS... or ETC vs ESC or Concourse vs D'Elegance?

hueterm
08-11-11, 06:53 PM
Well...except for the V8s....

JimmyH
08-11-11, 07:23 PM
well, I don't think any level of DTS is a driver's car. Though I had one for 3 days as a loaner, and it handled fairly well for a big, cushy, front-driver. But if they could give the XTS a handling package that is on par with something like the fwd Audi A6, that would really be something.

thebigjimsho
08-12-11, 01:37 PM
At least the XTS will be available with AWD. So there is a chance of sportiness over the leadened, FWD DTS...

JimmyH
08-12-11, 02:52 PM
I don't know. I know alot of guys rave about awd, but I don't buy it. They talk about Gallardo, R8, 911. Sure, maybe the awd system on a $150000 car is well developed. But on a $50000 car, I don't think so. At autox, the WRX guys aren't any faster than the rwd cars. For DD duties, I think I would still take fwd over awd.

thebigjimsho
08-12-11, 03:37 PM
First it's sportiness, now it's everyday drivability. What are you asking for?

JimmyH
08-12-11, 03:54 PM
I am trying to think what XTS owners would ask for. What I want is irrelevant. I am daily driving a Camaro SS. Most of my Camaro brothers think I am crazy. Theirs are all garage queens.

I don't know what I am talking about. Nevermind. Carry on. As you were.

RippyPartsDept
08-12-11, 03:59 PM
i think jimmy was saying it would be nice if they had both for both types of customers... didn't seem to me like he was talking about his personal preference

If they could have an XTS for those who want to drive their sofa, and one for those who want to drive, that would be even better.

JimmyH
08-12-11, 04:13 PM
exactly. The DTS is not my kind of car, even though I admit it is a very nice car. The XTS probably won't be either. I just want Cadillac to have a mainstream large car we can all brag about.

EChas3
08-12-11, 06:58 PM
Is the Converg back?

Link (http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1064793_cadillacs-volt-based-converj-electric-car-gets-green-light-exclusive)

JimmyH
08-12-11, 07:40 PM
It would make sense for them to build it. Lexus proved that plenty of luxury car buyers wish to make an ecological statement.

thebigjimsho
08-12-11, 08:39 PM
tis all p00p.

JimmyH
08-12-11, 08:50 PM
if so, it's very expensive, very complex p00p.

RippyPartsDept
08-13-11, 08:48 AM
it will allow more escalades to be produced, right?

C&C
08-13-11, 11:39 AM
The Converj, whether electric or not is drop dead gorgeous, at least, IMO; maybe 'it' should have been the new ATS.

thebigjimsho
08-13-11, 01:32 PM
it will allow more v cars to be produced, right?

JimmyH
08-13-11, 02:45 PM
hasn't V2 production already well exceeded V1 production?

hueterm
08-13-11, 02:54 PM
There will never be enough for him...

thebigjimsho
08-14-11, 02:52 PM
Quiet, old man...

hueterm
08-14-11, 03:08 PM
It took 24 hours to come up w/that?

Jesda
08-14-11, 03:19 PM
I can't wait for high speed trains to take all the Lexus drivers off the road. Driving is a nuisance and a burden to them anyway.

OH HI SAL! :highfive:

thebigjimsho
08-14-11, 04:45 PM
It took 24 hours to come up w/that?23 hours, 58 minutes. You goober. Besides, I don't live here, contrary to popular belief. I was entertaining womenz last night...

hueterm
08-14-11, 05:31 PM
Tapdancing?

thebigjimsho
08-14-11, 06:05 PM
At times...

hueterm
08-14-11, 06:42 PM
sexeh...

thebigjimsho
08-14-11, 08:15 PM
So say we all.

mberisha
08-15-11, 04:07 AM
23 hours, 58 minutes. You goober. Besides, I don't live here, contrary to popular belief. I was entertaining womenz last night...

No really....what were you doing?

thebigjimsho
08-15-11, 08:13 AM
hmm...

Cruised cadillacforums, then shoforum, dolphinsdigest, went to bed. Woke up, showered, preached, ate lunch, cleaned bathroom, living room, straightened bedroom. Mowed lawn, weeded, pruned, straightened out garage, disassembled old screenhouse to scrap, talked to neighbor. Took shower again, dressed, moved cars around, left for dinner. Met up at friend's place, had dinner and caek, played Nerts, Assassin and then chilled out for awhile. Left, got an iced coffee at DD, took long way home. Backspin on XM was on West Coast wayback and I was feeling good, so I cruised around downtown Worcester for another 20 minutes, then went home and talked to neighbor about another crackhead neighbor. Then went inside and got back on Caddyforums...

thebigjimsho
08-15-11, 08:16 AM
The entertaining womenz occurred at dinner location. I twas funny haha not funny uh-oh.

mberisha
08-15-11, 08:38 AM
HAHAHAH!!! Well said! That's some funney stuff!

JimmyH
08-15-11, 06:42 PM
bigjim uses the words "entertaining" and "women" together with great cavalier-ity

thebigjimsho
08-15-11, 07:57 PM
Damn straight I do.

JimmyH
08-16-11, 03:46 PM
I was expecting you to challenge my use of the non-word cavalier-ity. Bummer.

thebigjimsho
08-16-11, 10:57 PM
I'll leave that for Gary. He loves unnecessary rants...