: 3rd Brake light issue

Izzmeister
08-04-11, 05:15 PM
I continously keep having issues with water getting into my 3rd brake light. It starts to condensate and eventually blows the light. Second one replaced by dealer since 08. Anyone else have this issue? is there a fix for the light instead of getting a new one?

Appreciate any comments....

Thanks

hXc95SLS
08-05-11, 08:37 AM
Most likey a small crack or hole in the light. Open the trunk, remove the interior panel from the deck lid. There are eight 10mm bolts that hold the rear facia in. Once removed there are six #20 size torx screws that hold the third brake light in. Remove it check for crack, holes things of that nature. If and when you find the problem and go to reinstall the third brake light, be very careful. There's a small sliver of weather stripping that helps keep water out of the entire trunk. Other than that it's a fifteen minute job for someone with zero mechanical ability. If you do find a hole or crack, get a hair dryer and get all if the moisture out and simply fill the hole. Problem solved

Mystical_Ice
08-05-11, 09:01 AM
had the same problem. actually i didn't like the fact that every time i washed (and dried) the car, for the next 6 hours water would run/drip from behing the licenseplate/backup-lights... so i pulled the whole thing out, and put a nice think layer of silicon behind it. problem solved.

Izzmeister
08-05-11, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys, will do...

Mystical_Ice
08-05-11, 10:58 PM
see the following tutorial on how to waterproof your rear bezel, written by a fellow V owner:
http://www.jon04ctsv.com/rear_bezel/