: Anyone want an undisguised look at the ATS?

Cadillac Tony
08-04-11, 11:25 AM
I thought you would.

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n543/CadillacTony/6e3e9e53.jpg

Take a look at the length of the headlight sweep onto the front fender. :drool: Those of you who are a little sneaky might even be able to manipulate the gamma on this image to reveal a good look at the styling at the front and rear, also. :whistle:

Looking good.

Lord Cadillac
08-04-11, 12:24 PM
Thanks, Tony! You beat me to it.. I believe the redesigned CTS is planned shortly after the release of the ATS so hopefully the front and rear of this car is similar to whatever design language they'll be using...

Lord Cadillac
08-04-11, 12:32 PM
Take a look...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-images/cadillac-ats.jpg

OffThaHorseCEO
08-04-11, 12:55 PM
looks pretty good. is it me or is it about the size of the original cts?

Stingroo
08-04-11, 01:04 PM
How the heck did you do that, Sal?

JimmyH
08-04-11, 02:45 PM
I hate to say this, but I am not diggin it. Maybe I expected more.

Lord Cadillac
08-04-11, 03:13 PM
It probably is about the size of the original CTS - maybe a little smaller. I brightened the image several times to see the front end better. I'm not sure how much they can do with the sides, Jimmy. I think the front is going to look really nice and can only imagine with back will different from the current CTS. Those headlights do go way back into the hood/side and I think that'll look nice.

The Tony Show
08-04-11, 03:40 PM
Long hood/short deck = awesome proportions.

The Raven
08-04-11, 05:31 PM
Love it, except for those wheels. This promises to be a very successful car.

RippyPartsDept
08-04-11, 05:33 PM
saw that in the @cadillac twitter conversation with one of our members and the TopGear US fellas

orconn
08-04-11, 05:37 PM
"Long hood, short rear deck" is a great start. It looks to me to be about the size of the old (2002) C class or 3 series. Nothing wrong with that unless you are over 6 feet tall and 200 pounds! But then these are aimed at svelt young yuppies looking to get into an "executive" class automobile.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-04-11, 05:38 PM
it does remind me very much of a c class sedan, especially the front

RippyPartsDept
08-04-11, 05:56 PM
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6913/atsp.png

paint.NET ... auto-level adjustment ... very simple but nice!

RippyPartsDept
08-04-11, 05:57 PM
from what i can tell from messing with the levels in paint.NET it looks like that dark front grille section under the headlight and above the fog light was totally black... nothing there at all

JimmyH
08-04-11, 06:00 PM
"Long hood, short rear deck" is a great start. It looks to me to be about the size of the old (2002) C class or 3 series. Nothing wrong with that unless you are over 6 feet tall and 200 pounds! But then these are aimed at svelt young yuppies looking to get into an "executive" class automobile.

well, then that rules me all the way out :bouncy:

JimmyH
08-04-11, 06:17 PM
no fender porthole FTW

JimmyH
08-04-11, 06:59 PM
I kinda guessed at the front and rear bumper covers; but it doesn't look much different from the current CTS:

maeng9981
08-04-11, 10:30 PM
Feel like it's similar to the first gen CTS.

MacMuse
08-04-11, 11:26 PM
nice comparison pics Jimmy - throw an 05/06 STS into the mix and I think you'll see more similarities.

Jesda
08-05-11, 12:56 AM
The round econocar roofline cheapens it. Too soft, too agreeable, and whats with the positioning of the door handles?

I hope it doesnt weigh 4000lbs.

Playdrv4me
08-05-11, 01:07 AM
Hmm...

thebigjimsho
08-05-11, 01:18 AM
I think the long hood looks awesome. And if they are bold and get those long, catlike headlights right, it can be a striking design. I think it's a nice mix of old CTS and new CTS in a smaller package. And, if it gets more entry level buyers into Cadillac, color me excited.

I think I'm going to go to Detroit again in January to see this and the XTS in person.

mberisha
08-05-11, 04:05 AM
The rims on the original pic give it a Mercedez look....still sharp though.....

93DevilleUSMC
08-05-11, 04:10 AM
Oh HELL yes!!! I want one, and I'll take mine in black.

brandondeleo
08-05-11, 05:34 AM
It looks just like the newer gen STS and CTS with touches of the Merc C class, and it would look much better if someone hadn't backed it under a guillotine. It is a nice car and all, but absolutely nothing monumental, in my opinion.

Ranger
08-05-11, 11:16 AM
It probably is about the size of the original CTS - maybe a little smaller.
That's enough to make me loose all interest.

JimmyH
08-05-11, 01:06 PM
I think I'm going to go to Detroit again in January to see this and the XTS in person.

Lemme know if you go. I might join you.

I actually like the roofline better than the CTS. It's the CTS's square jaw I don't much care for. But then, it's hard to know if that is actually the profile. There wasn't alot to work with in Cadillac's teaser photo.

0AT E03
08-05-11, 06:58 PM
That's enough to make me loose all interest.

You'd be interested in the next gen CTS then, which is a little larger than the current one in length and width.

The ATS backseat is small. I barely fit in it, and I'm 6'2" The car does drive like a bat out of hell though most of you should be impressed. I think they made it feel lighter than it actually is.

JimmyH
08-05-11, 07:54 PM
Fortunately they seem to be able to do that. My Camaro is almost 4000 lbs and doesn't feel that heavy. At least not on the street. Autocrossing it felt like a pig.

Lord Cadillac
08-05-11, 10:06 PM
I'll see you guys in Detroit as well.. As for the size, Cadillac needs this small car. This sized car is the biggest/busiest/most lucrative in the luxury segment. It would leave Cadillac at such a disadvantage to continue ignoring it.

JimmyH
08-05-11, 10:11 PM
you, me and bigjim? manstew part II...

Lord Cadillac
08-05-11, 10:13 PM
you, me and bigjim? manstew part II...

Yup. Maybe we can get a few more of us out there. If the ATS is going to be showcased, I'm sure we'll have a bunch of us...

0AT E03
08-06-11, 02:30 AM
I'll be there on Industry days as usual.

CIWS
08-06-11, 07:58 AM
I know this may sound biased, when it's really not meant to be, but that release picture looks like an Infiniti ad. :noidea:

mdscad
08-06-11, 11:44 AM
I like it, but..... it doesn't seem quite as "edgy" as the design we have in the current CTS. It looks "softer," closer to what almost everyone else is doing. I would prefer that Caddy keeps the "edge" throughout its lineup to set itself apart from the other manufacturers.

RippyPartsDept
08-06-11, 12:17 PM
i think the whole point of this teaser photo was to not really give anything away... sure they gave us some body lines and the side panels, but we still have no clue exactly what the front and rear will look like

the front (and the grille in particular) is really what is going to make this (or any) car stand out

the rear (tail lights, trunk design, spoiler, etc) isn't as important, but can really be the difference between a good design and a great design

... overall i'm excited to see the parts they left out of this tease

JimmyH
08-06-11, 01:28 PM
actually, I think the front and rear fascias make or break the whole design. The new Charger is a great example. It has nice lines, but the front and rear fascias are hideous.

RippyPartsDept
08-06-11, 01:30 PM
actually, I think the front and rear fascias make or break the whole design.

so we agree then... i just forgot to mention the fasicas when i mentioned the other front and rear parts that make or break a car's design

JimmyH
08-06-11, 01:42 PM
I hope they give it some kind of chin spoiler. The current CTS looks like it has an overbite.

JBsZ06
08-06-11, 02:05 PM
Great car! Can't wait for the official release!

bill57
08-06-11, 03:46 PM
Ok. We don't know what the front and rear look like, But the profile sure looks like a Honda Accord to me. Or like the other poster noted, an Infinity.

RippyPartsDept
08-06-11, 04:06 PM
so which one does it look like? the honda, or the infinity?

or the mercedes? or the bmw? ...

lots of cars look similar if you only go by the side profile (and not even the full side profile, just the middle 80%)

JimmyH
08-06-11, 04:29 PM
almost all cars out there today look the same as their competition. don't blame the manufacturers. blame the consumers, because that's what the vast majority of them want. they want an unassuming vehicle that blends in.

0AT E03
08-06-11, 04:50 PM
I hope they give it some kind of chin spoiler. The current CTS looks like it has an overbite.

Chin spoilers are practically on all new GM designs, you can probably expect one on the ATS. See the new 2013 Malibu for an idea of GM's typical chin spoiler.

http://photo.netcarshow.com/Chevrolet-Malibu_2013_photo_04.jpg

amunderdog
08-06-11, 05:30 PM
That looks like a BMW with a Mercedes grill to me:(

JimmyH
08-06-11, 08:56 PM
I am not seeing BMW or mercedes in that malibu picture. Although, I think like the last Malibu, this new design is going to look stale in a few years.

RippyPartsDept
08-06-11, 09:53 PM
That looks like a BMW with a Mercedes grill to me:(

how does that look like a mercedes grille?

chevy has been using this split grille design for a long time and imho in the last few years it has really started to evolve into something that i really like and can get behind
(some are obviously better than others, but i really like this new front end/grille evolution that chevy's gotten in to lately)

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/chevrolet_100317926_m.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2011-chevrolet-equinox-fwd-4-door-lt-w-1lt-front-exterior-view_100328482_l.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2013-chevrolet-malibu-leaked_100346430_m.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2011-chevrolet-colorado-show-truck-concept_100344351_m.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/chevrolet_100309799_m.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/chevrolet-aveo_100321014_m.jpg

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2011-chevrolet-volt_100314755_m.jpg

JimmyH
08-06-11, 10:26 PM
I think the Cruze is the best execution of Chevy's current design language. Pictures just don't do the Cruze justice. It's much more attactive in person. Same with the CTS coupe. Maybe the ATS will be the same.

0AT E03
08-07-11, 12:40 AM
Sonic\Aveo has the chin spoiler too if you notice.

I think they are adding those for pedestrian standards in Europe.

JimmyH
08-07-11, 01:42 PM
I believe the space between the bumper and radiator is the pedestrian safety factor. I would guess the chin spoiler helps aerodynamics by cutting a little more air out from under the car.

jagowar
08-07-11, 01:48 PM
Looking forward to some real info about the car.... I was going to be getting trading in my old silverado for something a bit more fuel efficient and right now was set on the 2012 camaro but this car might get me to wait.

One of the biggest reasons I was considering the camaro was its bluetooth a2dp support (have a windows phone 7 with zunepass).... for some reason it was the only gm car I could find that supported that. Hopefully a brand new car in the would have the same support (because I would have chosen a cts over the camaro but bluetooth audio streaming was a killer for me).

Lord Cadillac
08-08-11, 12:44 PM
I think the basic design of the Cadillac ATS has been done for a long time now...

RippyPartsDept
08-08-11, 02:21 PM
yes... but the devil is in the details ... :devil:

JimmyH
08-08-11, 02:27 PM
Looking forward to some real info about the car.... I was going to be getting trading in my old silverado for something a bit more fuel efficient and right now was set on the 2012 camaro but this car might get me to wait.

One of the biggest reasons I was considering the camaro was its bluetooth a2dp support (have a windows phone 7 with zunepass).... for some reason it was the only gm car I could find that supported that. Hopefully a brand new car in the would have the same support (because I would have chosen a cts over the camaro but bluetooth audio streaming was a killer for me).

streaming audio is overrated. It sounds okay, but it will kill the battery life of your phone. And if you are going to plug it in for power, you might as well just use the usb connection. I have an old ipod plugged in that way in my camaro. It stays in the car all the time.

rand49er
08-08-11, 02:29 PM
If I ever sell my V1, this is what I'm going to get. Can't wait to see the powerplant for the ATS-V.

Lemme know if you go. I might join you. ...^^^ Yeah that.

thebigjimsho
08-08-11, 09:50 PM
That Malibu is dead sexayyy!

RippyPartsDept
08-08-11, 09:58 PM
yup

jagowar
08-08-11, 11:41 PM
streaming audio is overrated. It sounds okay, but it will kill the battery life of your phone. And if you are going to plug it in for power, you might as well just use the usb connection. I have an old ipod plugged in that way in my camaro. It stays in the car all the time.

I have been doing it for the past 6 months and it has had almost no impact on my battery life.... my phone still lasts 24 hrs of heavy usage. I would just keep using the fm transmitter but it kills the audio quality and I have to manually power the device on each time I start the car (it runs off its own battery) and no steeringwheel controls.... I basically want to keep using my a2dp but have something that's properly integrated and has better sound quality than the fm I currently use.

RippyPartsDept
08-08-11, 11:50 PM
i stream from the internet to my phone constantly (pandora on iphone) in the car... but i have to use a tape adapter to get it into the speakers

and battery isn't an issue (if i'm on a road trip i plug into the accessory outlet and stay charged anyway)

i totally want to do the aux mod, but just can't seem to get around to it

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/108708-auxiliary-input-seville-deville-catera-direct.html

will look like this
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/46273d1228784381-ipod-aux-input-integration-complete-auxin.jpg

JimmyH
08-09-11, 12:01 AM
"my phone still lasts 24 hrs of heavy usage" They really have conditioned us to accept that. Before I had my iphone, I had a Sony Ericsson that I charged once a week. And I was using a2dp with that phone because my Parrot kit was the only way to get external music to my radio in my CTS. Before that it was more like 2 weeks. All this techno stuff has made my life too complicated :bouncy:

CadillacCastle
08-17-11, 11:39 AM
Take a look...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-images/cadillac-ats.jpg It seems Cadillac is trying to make cars small as possible now. They could put a 4 cylinder motor in it and make the seats smaller then do away with the trunk and spare tire. It could then compete with the 8 foot long smart car. These new cars have got so small a lot of regular and large people have gone to SUVs to get something comfortable to ride in. Bring back the Fleetwoods, all of us are not migets.

Lord Cadillac
08-17-11, 12:22 PM
I know how you feel. Just keep in mind that the small car segment is THE LARGEST and most profitable, by far, in the luxury segment. If Cadillac continued to ignore it, they'll be left in the dust... It's cars like these that make all the money for companies like Mercedes and BMW...

It seems Cadillac is trying to make cars small as possible now. They could put a 4 cylinder motor in it and make the seats smaller then do away with the trunk and spare tire. It could then compete with the 8 foot long smart car. These new cars have got so small a lot of regular and large people have gone to SUVs to get something comfortable to ride in. Bring back the Fleetwoods, all of us are not migets.

JimmyH
08-17-11, 01:18 PM
They will keep getting more and more popular as gas keeps rising. You would be naive to think we are not staring down the barrel of $6/gal gas.

thebigjimsho
08-17-11, 08:34 PM
It seems Cadillac is trying to make cars small as possible now. They could put a 4 cylinder motor in it and make the seats smaller then do away with the trunk and spare tire. It could then compete with the 8 foot long smart car. These new cars have got so small a lot of regular and large people have gone to SUVs to get something comfortable to ride in. Bring back the Fleetwoods, all of us are not migets.Fleetwoods. haha. Funny.

chowser51
08-17-11, 10:00 PM
I think it's looks good, this might get me to come back to GM. I was hoping to get a new Camaro but there were none in 2006 so I ended up getting a BMW 325xi. As much as I love my BMW, I grew up a GM man and really want to get back. Seeing as how my car is paid off and I want something a little larger (got kids and I think the ATS is going to be a little bigger than the 3-series, closer to the 5) but definately wanting a RWD car. Not really concerned about the engine, as long as I get more than 21 mpg in the city (which is what I get now with my heavy car with AWD). I just hope they don't option this car into the 3-series price range. I'd like a decently loaded ATS with nav for $35k. (Yeah, I'm probably dreaming).

My wife has been with GM forever (currently drives an '08 Lacrosse) so she is happy that I might be returning. She is currently out of town for work and in a 2012 Lacrosse rental, she says it might be time to trade up.
Other than chaging a turn signal, we have had no issues with the Buick. Hoping GM quality is back.

thebigjimsho
08-18-11, 11:10 AM
It won't be bigger than the 3, closer to the 5. That's where the current CTS is now and that will grow to 5 series size with the next gen. The ATS will be 3 series sized. That's the point. As for pricing, I'm sure it will undercut the BMW. But I doubt by much...

JimmyH
08-18-11, 04:47 PM
Overall, it should be the same size as the 3. I am betting the front seat area will be larger though (for us large chassis-ed americans) and the back seat will probably be tiny.

caddyfat2
08-19-11, 11:53 AM
It seems Cadillac is trying to make cars small as possible now. They could put a 4 cylinder motor in it and make the seats smaller then do away with the trunk and spare tire. It could then compete with the 8 foot long smart car. These new cars have got so small a lot of regular and large people have gone to SUVs to get something comfortable to ride in. Bring back the Fleetwoods, all of us are not migets.
I know what you can do..... take the front drivers seat out and sit in the back seat and drive the car from there and it should be comfy as hell with plenty of room for you big boi's.

08SRX
10-21-11, 03:10 PM
Not very original. It will marginalize to CTS as did the STS. Can we at least get something cool like a 2.0L V8 twin-turbo with laser ignition?