: Cradle Dolly

Pjs
10-21-04, 01:08 PM
I thought that some of you might want to check out the cradle dolly that my fiance's dad and I built for my powertrain extrication. Basically 2X4's and a sheet of 1/4" plywood. The caster's were bought @ a flea market store for $8.25ea and have a 500LB capacity, this thing really rolls pretty easy. We used the side rails to keep the whole aligned when putting back into place.
We had some concerns about the dolly being able to handle the weight, but I had to jack the whole car up with a jack sitting on it and it didn't so much as creek, it's study as hell.

sts96
10-21-04, 08:56 PM
Looks good. Hope the rest of the job goes as well. Nice car!!
sts96

Anthony Cipriano
10-22-04, 12:11 AM
Looks like you are ready to set up shop. Nice job and nice setup!

Spyder
10-22-04, 12:32 AM
Wish I coulda talked my step bro into doing it this way instead of taking it out through the top...we did manage though, and the motor is in place...just awaiting my time off, which never comes, so I can go hook up the exhaust, the fuel and all of the friggin wiring. Hopefully I'll have mine back tomorrow, eh. Good luck with yours!

Night Wolf
10-22-04, 01:28 AM
wow, that is a really nice setup you have, very clean and it looks good....

I'll be doing the same thing next year once i find a car that will get my enigne... probably get the tranny rebuilt while it is out, since it'll be around 150k anyway... not really looking forward to doing all that...

chuck jenkins
10-22-04, 09:10 AM
Why not leave the front wheels on and roll it out on them???

Pjs
10-22-04, 09:52 AM
Why not leave the front wheels on and roll it out on them??? Chuck, I wish it was that easy :) Since the struts come out w/ the assy. as well as having to disconnect the calipers, linkage, etc.you have to have some kind of dolly to move it. My estimate on weight of this assy is about 1000LB

Pjs
10-22-04, 10:05 AM
Thanks for all the kudo's guys. I really have to give to very enthusiasic thumbsup to David, my finace's father...I referred to him as my gf's father in an earlier post and he's still not let me live that one down. Dave and I kicked around some ideas, but ultimitely I left the construction up to him as I'm not that handy w/ wood. This project hasn't gone as smoothly as I'd have hoped. I got rained out after a couple hours the first couple of days, the bolts that came w/ my engine stand where crap and I spent a couple hours trying to find long metric 10.9's and grade 8's. The powertrain was such an oily dirty mess and it took forever to clean it. Thanks to my other friend Dave for use of his pressure washer. Installing a new heater box cover was a bitch but it's in. Oil pan is sealed and all I have left to do is finish painting the valve covers & intake cover...found a color that matches the car :thumbsup: then I can start reassembling.I did screw up when taking the throttle & cruise cables off and broke a piece of the cruise cable guide on the TB. I think I can fix it as those are $480 @ the dealer. Good news is I finally got my EGR valve pintle unstuck...and damn was it stuck good.
So far I've got about 30 hrs into this and thats still w/ the engine on a stand, but as long as I've got it apart I'm cleaning the hell outta everything.
I'll keep y'all posted....should be running by tomorrow.

Night Wolf
10-22-04, 11:25 PM
can you tell me the exact bolts you used to get the block on the stand? I have made at least a dozen trips to the hardwear store... they are 12mm bolts, with what I think is a 1.50 ppitch, but i need to get long bolts to fill the 3 bolts in with washers as 1 bolt as the guide thing on it...

... what was wrong with your engine?

Pjs
10-23-04, 11:33 AM
can you tell me the exact bolts you used to get the block on the stand? I have made at least a dozen trips to the hardwear store... they are 12mm bolts, with what I think is a 1.50 ppitch, but i need to get long bolts to fill the 3 bolts in with washers as 1 bolt as the guide thing on it...

... what was wrong with your engine?

That was another fiasco...the bolts. They are 12x1.75. I needed to find longer bolts for the lugs on the stand, and what I found was the cradle bolts are the same as the engine, only longer. This worked for 3 but the one hole (front side) has a guide pin in the hole and required and even longer bolt. I had to drive my ass all over Nashville to find them and then what I opted for was grade 8 allen headed cap screws, I believe 3 are 100mm and the 4th was 130mm. Make sure that the bolts holding the lugs to the stand are grade 8 as well. If you have a bolt and screw company in your town, start there. Lowes, Home Depot and every parts store I went to didn't have these.
I've spent 40 hours so far and probably close to $900 on this project. The only thing that was wrong was the oil pan gasket was bad. Once I got the thing apart I decided to pull the intake and install new gaskets, good call on my part, 3 intake bolts were loose. And speaking of intakes...on my 95 there is a plug in the back of the intake that is called a fuel pressure relief valve, it's a spring loaded door that I can only figure is to let pressure escape in case of a backfire or something like that. The plug was very loose and turns out the O ring was in need of replacing as well..(wonder where my vacuum leak was coming from). You will have to go to a hydraulic hose shop to get an o-ring that big.

Pjs
10-23-04, 11:48 AM
Hey guys, I got the engine completed last night. I painted the beauty cover and valve covers cummins biege because that color almost matches the car. I'm waiting on yet another rain storm to pass so I can get it on to the cradle and hopefully get the cradle in and bolted up...I'm hoping to have her running tonight...wish me luck.
BTW, I've got a ton of pics through this whole process, probably close to 90 so far. Although I've been using the factory service manual, I find that it is really lacking in some important information and at this point I think I could write a detailed "Idiots guide to a Northstar removal".

JSMeloche
10-23-04, 02:55 PM
I find that it is really lacking in some important information and at this point I think I could write a detailed "Idiots guide to a Northstar removal".

Great idea!!!

Night Wolf
10-23-04, 03:08 PM
yeah, I am going to have to remove the NorthStar from my future car...

... 12mmx 1.75? do you mean 1.75 pitch? becuase that was way too much, I think it is 1.50 pitch.... nobody at all has the damn things...

bigred
10-23-04, 04:49 PM
Did there used to be pictures with the first post of this thread? I can't get anything to come up.

bigred
10-23-04, 04:55 PM
Sorry, my web connection is really s l o w today. I can't delete the above post for some reason either.

Pjs
10-25-04, 10:54 AM
yeah, I am going to have to remove the NorthStar from my future car...

... 12mmx 1.75? do you mean 1.75 pitch? becuase that was way too much, I think it is 1.50 pitch.... nobody at all has the damn things...

The ones on my car are 12mm w/ a pitch of 1.75, verified

Pjs
10-25-04, 11:05 AM
Well.......As of Sunday evening, the engine is back in the car and running. Once it was fired up I crawled under to check for leaks not expecting to see any when all of a sudden oil starts running down the pan, just like it did before I started all of this. I stared at the oil pan for a 5 mins in total disbelief. It was then that I realized that the oil leak is actually coming from the top of the oil manifold where it meets the block. I guess it's my own fault for not using my head when I've seen the exploded view of this engine a million times but for some reason it just didn't register. The good news is the car started right up, bad news is that I now have a TO61 code which is an ABS pump motor circuit fault and the engine is running a lot rougher & surging more then when I took it apart. I'm also getting a "Check coolant" DIC message although the coolant level is where it's supposed to be. I've been through the service manual and can't find anything in it about sealing the oil manifold to the block and according to the exploxed view there is not a separate gasket for it. Does anyone know how this is supposed to seal? At this point I'm thinking just an anerobic sealer.

sts96
10-25-04, 10:41 PM
The sealing gasket lines are fused to the oil manifold on the block side must replace the oil manifold to seal that leak. LOL sts96

zonie77
10-25-04, 11:47 PM
PJS,

I wrote up the procedure and some hints/techniques awhile ago. Did you see it?

http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5052

Pjs
10-26-04, 06:55 AM
PJS,

I wrote up the procedure and some hints/techniques awhile ago. Did you see it?

http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5052

I did indeed see it and as a matter of fact was looking for it before I started, coudn't remember the title so I did a search on your name but that post never showed up. :D

Pjs
10-26-04, 07:01 AM
bad news is that I now have a TO61 code which is an ABS pump motor circuit fault and the engine is running a lot rougher & surging more then when I took it apart. I'm also getting a "Check coolant" DIC message although the coolant level is where it's supposed to be. I've been through the service manual and can't find anything in it about sealing the oil manifold to the block and according to the exploxed view there is not a separate gasket for it.

I found the cause of the TO61, turns out that I had the grnd wire that goes to the ABS motor attached to the motor and I had forgotten to plug in the connector to the surge tank. I've still got a hell of a surge, particularly @ low speeds. I sprayed carb cleaner around the intake and TB yesterday and couldn't find a leak...any other ideas?

94CaddyConcours
06-10-05, 02:14 AM
It would be nice if PJ video taped the whole procedure.

Pjs
06-11-05, 11:06 AM
Fabulous Idea! I wished I'd have realized my inlaws had a video cam at the time.

94CaddyConcours
06-13-05, 03:27 AM
Well whenever somone plan to swap or overhaul they should have a video or camer regardless. Remember thing on picture are better than memory which can be distorted.

mrnextel
11-21-05, 12:48 AM
Hows It Running Now? What Happened?

Pjs
11-23-05, 01:15 PM
I had originally pulled the cradle assy. to repair the oil leaking from the pan. In the end, had to drop the cradle twice, had to timesert the bottom end and spring for a new set of rod bearings. Car's almost ready to flip to 156K and still runs like a champ.

Krashed989
11-23-05, 07:50 PM
You said you painted it to match the car? I wanna see pics! :D

Pjs
11-25-05, 09:13 PM
I ended up painting it Cummins Beige..it's a close match. I think the CD w/ the car pics is at work...I'll check on monday and I can post them from there.

Hason560
11-26-05, 01:37 PM
im really curious about th to61 code i belive i have this same code, where is this plug of which you speak located so i cn see if mine is unplugged or mabey cut for somereason

Pjs
11-27-05, 10:46 AM
im really curious about th to61 code i belive i have this same code, where is this plug of which you speak located so i cn see if mine is unplugged or mabey cut for somereason

On the back and top (opposite side of data harness connector) of the ABS motor there is a small stud...maybe 6mm or so. The ground wire for the motor connects there with an eyelet on a black wire.
I had connected it with the other engine grounds when I installed the engine