: What is so great about MB AMGs? This group ought to know

deckofficer
08-04-11, 12:28 AM
If you good folks will indulge me here. If any group would know about MB AMGs, I figure it would be here because chances are good some of you have owned one or two. Below, I have posted to one of the Hot Rod forums I belong to, and so far no one there has any experiance with the AMG, so here is the post.................

So many good stories and don't know who to comment to first, but two MB AMG dustings in one thread, it has to mean something. I don't follow MB or that tuning arm of AMG, but do they build something hot?

The full story is, I was south bound on I-5 near Bakersfield, going for good mpg and not speed. The Track-T with the new OD transmission I just put in before this trip, is going 75 mph at 1700 rpms. That open roadster at that rpm is so quiet that I hear tire/pavement noise over exhaust note. I eyed the MB in my mirror and figured he was closing at around 10 mph faster than me. Normal pass I'm thinking, but instead, when he is right beside me he nails it, must of kicked down 2 or 3 gears and when that happens, those AMGs are loud. Scared me, even made me jump. I rolled everything on, but at 1700 rpm my response was pedistrian till I pulled 4th and caught him, then at 4500, shifted back to 5th for two more seconds, then compression slowed from 140 to the 113 that I shot with the camera. AMG after quite awhile passes for a second time with 10 mph differiential. No race this time and as he glides past me, I see girlfriend/wife talking to him in a very animated fashion.

I have a 556 hp Caddy CTS-V, and I would be creamed by the T, what is this AMG thing and why do owners of them choose a fight with the T ???????

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/Overdrive/DSC01409.jpg

Bushidopupil
08-04-11, 12:38 AM
Next time see if you can see any numbers along with the AMG, they make different ones. Check the MD site and see if you can recall the model for us.

Good story, made me laugh...

P.S. Clean your dang windshield thingy....LOL, oh but not at 113mph....

deckofficer
08-04-11, 02:50 AM
Just so you know the vehicle in question, and why would an AMG pick on this old jalopy?.......

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/deckofficer/Day%20tripping/DSC013201014x760.jpg

MReiland
08-04-11, 07:16 AM
You forgot to add that this was on a recent trip in Mexico right?:thumbsup:

Speedtrapped
08-04-11, 08:13 AM
I owned a 05' CL65AMG and they are fast and throaty. Many owners mod them with HE upgrades, exhaust, ECu tunes etc... No diff. Then what we do to our V. As someone suggested there are a lot of AMG models, it was at one point over used IMO. My car was flashed, that's it and it made 550whp, torque was insane, 670. V12 TT, but heat soaked like crazy, and honestly drove like a marshmallow, wicked bad understeer. I did not like it. And they do NOT hold value. $185k when new, I bought mine with 38k miles and paid $44k, 6 months later sold it auction, $39k...long story

newcadman
08-04-11, 08:49 AM
Not exactly on topic, but noticed that MB is now bragging that their new 2012 AMG sedan with the 5.5 twin turbo has run the ' Ring' in under 8 minutes! But of course there is nothing official to prove it.

That said, I don't think there is any question that MB has upped their HP& TQ numbers in an effort aimed at trying to knock off the V.

roarkb
08-04-11, 09:37 AM
I had a AMG C63 Mercedes that sat in the stall next to my V till this last Saturday. Was a fun car to drive, quick and fast. Deep Throaty engine sound. Looked great. These cars are impressive cars. I liked mine. I love my V. Enough said about that.

While your T with the power to weight ratio is likely to win most all acceleration contests with the Mercedes and most other cars for that matter. I don't think that it is a given that the T would have a higher top speed, it not exactly a aerodynamic wonder, although not bad with the chopped windshield. While the Mercedes is limited electronically to about 150MPH. If he was gunning for you, he is most likely got mods that remove the speed limiter and got more HP that the original engine.

By the way. Love the T. looks like you did a fine job with it. Makes me miss my "OLD" Hot Rodding days.

Gary Wells
08-04-11, 09:39 AM
What's the track-t run in the 1/4?

deckofficer
08-04-11, 10:46 AM
What's the track-t run in the 1/4?

Not that fast compared to some of the V results I've seen on this forum. I only got one run, 3 years ago at Sacramento Raceway's "Run What ya Brung" night. Their scales were broken that night and when asked for the T's weight, I told them 660 lbs heavier, and when asked for hp, I reported 90 hp less than the real output. Mr Tech Inspector crunched some numbers and said I was "boderline" for letting me run because with the "adjusted" numbers he figured a mid 12. But he said since I was an older guy (thanks a lot kid), he would let me make a pass by myself, no one in the other lane, which was fine by me. Avoided the water box, no pre-burn out, light green, no clutch dump or speed shift as I don't want to break anything, so, driving like granny, 10.8 @ 132 mph.

mannyz
08-04-11, 11:36 AM
Here in the UK theres no Tech inspection. If your car is road legal you're good to run without a tech. Shit, you can even have a passenger unless traveling over 130mph.

Gary Wells
08-04-11, 12:07 PM
With enclosed hood, I can see where a MB might think that it is not that fast. I think that I have heard that the big overweight previous model S65 was down in mid 12 territory right off the showroom floor. I would love to have a S55, S550, or S65, but the first trip to the dealer would put me out at the local Red Cross selling my blood. Probably other body parts too.

deckofficer
08-04-11, 01:42 PM
Here in the UK theres no Tech inspection. If your car is road legal you're good to run without a tech. Shit, you can even have a passenger unless traveling over 130mph.

It is road legal, but the tracks need to carry insurance. And insurance companies don't like undo exposure, so they follow NHRA guidelines, and that is why I ran that night because I heard the scales were not working. They believed my T was the 2450 lbs I told them, instead of the 1790 lbs it was that night. Like me, the T has put on weight (about 66 lbs) and the new engine has the best street manners, but for all my torque down low in the rpm band, I gave up some hp even though the new engine is a larger displacement. My trusty G-Tech tells me that now I'm only good for an 11.4.

elphil
08-04-11, 03:16 PM
What's the max weight for street legal without fenders in CA? Years ago, I think, it was 1500 pounds.

deckofficer
08-04-11, 04:08 PM
What's the max weight for street legal without fenders in CA? Years ago, I think, it was 1500 pounds.

Don't know. Not all 1923 Ford Model Ts had fenders (the real cheap $275.00 new ones), so since I'm licensed as a 1923, I only need what they had on the cars when new back then. My frame is all hand built, but a little over 3" of it on the passenger side is the original frame and it just happens to be the 3" where the original VIN was stamped. No smog checks, no horn, no seat belts, no turn signals, no windshield wiper, well you get the idea. Much easier to keep the weight to a minimun this way.

elphil
08-04-11, 04:23 PM
A really sweet ride.

shchow
08-04-11, 11:23 PM
Nice story!
He is probably a weekend warrior and had no idea what he was dealing with.
Glad you set him straight...