: Poor Man's Big Brake Kit

d_v_o_1
08-03-11, 05:05 PM
Hey guys

Lookin to see what you all think of these MGP Caliper Covers I just picked up. Had them painted all black with no engraved logo or rivets. Couldn't justify an extra $200 for custom engraving so I went the decal route like I know one other member did here. Not sure if I am sold on the decals I used so I wont be clear coating until I'm sure. Any thoughts??

I thought about using the "v-series" logo but that's fakin! So let's hear your thoughts

And for those who say...should have got brembo's....I don't got that kinda money! Lol So I did these with a drilled and slotted set of 14" rotors. Will try and post pics of them on soon.

Cheers

d_v_o_1
08-03-11, 05:21 PM
and i clearly need to learn how to spell BRAKE.....fml

Mha
08-04-11, 12:26 AM
Im in for more pics. Just got 26s and was looking into upgrading my brakes rotors. And like you loved brembos but 4-5k is not even an option. So im looking to cover the caliper and maybe some cheap rotors from ebay. One guy on hear said he liked them so might gave to go that route. Have you seen the brembo covers on ebay? Its just a cover that looks like brembos calipers that you glue onto the oem caliper. I thunk they look realer on smaller rims like the 22s but in bigger rims where you can get a closer look theyll look cheap. Anyone have those

d_v_o_1
08-04-11, 01:04 AM
I Actually started with that route and bought a set of black brembo covers. They don't look all that bad, but there was no chance they were fitting, even after trimming. They may have just sent me the wrong size but either way I am pretty sure they would melt. Cheap plastic really.

MrHolland
08-04-11, 04:47 AM
I believe the factory brake set up with a 22in rim is on the verge of being not quite enough stopping power. If you’re going to upgrade your rims to a larger size you shouldn’t install said rims until you have an upgrade brake kit to install at the same time. It’s not about how the Brembo, Baer or Alcon brakes look; it’s about how they perform and keeping your car safe to drive at highway speeds.

hcvone
08-04-11, 09:02 AM
As said above these trucks with the stock 22's have trouble stopping in the real world with hills let alone in the mountains, and while I didn't want to spend 6k plus, stopping is better than a trip to the body shop, you never know what kind of animal will be standing in the road around the next bend, and towing a trailer it was a must for me, and of course with bigger wheels upgrading the brakes is a must. :)

Rolex
08-04-11, 09:34 AM
and i clearly need to learn how to spell BRAKE.....fml

Np...FIFY :)