: Haynes Repair Manual......

lincolncadillac
08-02-11, 08:26 PM
Is Useless!!! I was thinking that as i finally finished puting my 90 back together ( I still have not started it due to the fact i changed out water pump, thermostat and put new belts on but dont have any antifreeze yet ). That thing was zero help!!!

MoistCabbage
08-02-11, 08:58 PM
You can find "real" Helm service manuals on ebay for not too much money.

CADforce69
08-02-11, 09:16 PM
You can get a Factory Service Manual since $ 15 that will help you a lot: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=90+cadillac+shop+manual&_sacat=See-All-Categories At least the '69 FSM has been very useful for me.

lincolncadillac
08-02-11, 09:53 PM
You can get a Factory Service Manual since $ 15 that will help you a lot: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=90+cadillac+shop+manual&_sacat=See-All-Categories At least the '69 FSM has been very useful for me.

Thanks CADforce, that looks like it is exactly what i need.

Ranger
08-02-11, 10:16 PM
Haynes and Chiltons manuals make good bird cage liners. They're too coarse for toilet paper.

cadillac kevin
08-02-11, 10:41 PM
I have an old chiltons manual (80s) that was great. the newer ones arent good for anything but trash. FSM all the way for me. cheaper and better than the chiltons and haynes manuals.

TheRedSharon
08-02-11, 11:47 PM
Well, I agree and disagree. Haynes manuals are nearly useless, but for those of us with nothing else they help get the job done. I actually agree with Kevin - the old ones are better than the new ones. They could be more useful though (as in, not assuming the reader is a pro mechanic).

sven914
08-02-11, 11:58 PM
Being that Haynes covers multiple years and generations, they do come in handy when you have more than one of the same make and model. Otherwise you would be buried under tons of literature. The main problem comes in when they condense all of that information into a usable form; the year to year changes get skimmed over and some of the need to know information gets lost.

outsider
08-03-11, 12:07 AM
i get a FSM for any car I own...have also a chiltons for my 87 caddy but as everyone has said it wasn't much help...that's why I got the FSM :)

brougham
08-03-11, 02:01 AM
Some of the Haynes manuals are alright but the Cadillac one is junk. It covers way too many years. The section with the trouble codes and their meanings is pretty good tho, but from there you need a real manual to fix the problem.

water walkin warrior
08-04-11, 09:13 AM
I've got both the FSM and the Haynes. The FSM is abot twice as thick as the Haynes. FSM is the way to go.