: NEW 05 V owner

Newvee2011
08-02-11, 06:55 PM
Hi guys... Getting my new Used V and just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on what should be my first SMART things I should get done.. Wether its a tune up or something like that.. You never know what the previouse owners really did and how they took care of the car.. I just want to start off right...Thanks in advance for any suggestions...I think a tune up would be first... What's my best and cheapest way ? ...

rand49er
08-02-11, 09:10 PM
Are there any maintenance records at all? How many miles? Yr? Mods?

Regardless, start with all the fluids paying close attention to the clutch. After you've taken care of all the basics, then we can talk about a shifter, CAGS eliminator, bushings, and so on.

DDS rollin a CTS
08-03-11, 09:58 AM
First of all, welcome to the forum!!!

Next comes the muffler delete. Get that caddy sounding like the muscle car it is!

cvettr/cts-v
08-03-11, 03:55 PM
Put shifter high on the list if not already done. Post pics, Congrats.

mberisha
08-03-11, 04:23 PM
As always with the shifter....CAGS elim....and then whistle tips.....

Newvee2011
08-03-11, 04:49 PM
WOW.. Feelin the love... Thanks to all the responses.. Well, how do I get maintenence records ? 80, 000 miles and no mods... So ,I'll replace all the fluids, oil, power steering, transmission, coolant.. The Clutch !! What, the clutch has fluid, what do I pay attention to with the clutch ? Oh, bye the way.. I only had one manual lesson.. My friend said I did pretty good, no grinding and only stalled once in a half hour... LOL.... What about a tune up ? Can I do that myself ? Plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter ?

rand49er
08-03-11, 05:57 PM
The clutch is operated hydraulically and has an hydraulic reservoir under the hood. I'd have someone do that for you, and make sure they bleed it thoroughly. Maybe do the power steering, brakes, coolant, but definitely the oil if there's any question at all. You could also do the differential and the trans if you want ... I would.

Oh, yeah, the filters. There's the engine air filter of course and a fuel filter, and there's a cabin filter. Not sure about the fuel filter, but do the other two.

CAGS eliminator is next. Costs ~$20 or less and allows you to shift from 1st to 2nd without being forced into 4th gear ... SO-O annoying.

Assuming your motor mounts are okay and bushings are okay, too, I'd really look into a shifter. PISNUOFF is the most cost-effective route to take, though he may be backed up ... well, not him personally, but he may have a backlog of shifters he's doing right now.

After that, guys here and I could list a buh-zillion things for you to do. It just takes money.

thebigjimsho
08-03-11, 07:33 PM
Just drive, man...

Newvee2011
08-03-11, 10:58 PM
Thanks Rand..I will take care of your suggestions... I just want to make sure I fix the previouse owners mistakes if any.. I guess I'm better safe than sorry kind of guy...Sounds like after that stuff, shifter needs to go.. LOL Thanks again....keep you posted....

mberisha
08-04-11, 05:33 AM
Just drive, man...

Concur....the diff will blow before your fluids go.....:hide:

Newvee2011
08-04-11, 10:32 PM
So, what should I do to the differential ?

rand49er
08-04-11, 10:43 PM
So, what should I do to the differential ?If it's not whining, forget it. If it's whining, then ... well, join the crowd.

j/k If your diff isn't whining, then I'd get some axles to keep it from getting there. If it is whining, then you may have to get a replacement ... then get axles.

Newvee2011
08-05-11, 05:34 AM
If it's not whining ,why do I have to get axles ? How much are axles ? Splain Lucy !!!!:D

Mystical_Ice
08-05-11, 09:04 AM
I owned a V1 for 4 years and never had a problem with the differential whining. Sure some people just get unlucky, but just remember to 'go easy' on the diff in 1st gear in particular, meaning don't try to do a burn-out, you'll end up jarring your teeth out with the wheelhop instead - and hurt the diff.

rand49er
08-05-11, 09:11 AM
Hm-m ... okay, here goes.

Spirited launching causes the rear suspension in Gen I Vs to wheelhop which puts severe stress on the differential. The diff starts to develop a whine, especially noteworthy at about 45-50 MPH under very slight acceleration. The diff may eventually fail. Though that's rare, it does occur from time to time. For years and years, there was no true cure for WH, though we were all on the lookout for one. A brace called the KARS 3 was developed with modest success but actually amplified any existing whining. Steel diffs were fabricated but were too expensive for many of us. Some guys went to straight axles. Some of us talked about making big beefy axles, but no one took on the effort. Then, sort of serendipitously, someone posted up a youtube vid of a V doing burnouts at the dragstrip with no observable WH. The Driveshaft Shop (DSS) had produced a set of axles that seemed to eliminate WH, at least in dry conditions which is where most of us wanted to find a fix anyway. Hendrix Engineering started selling them, and now others are available as well. The point is, they reduce or come close to eliminating WH which is thought to be the cause of diff whine/failure.

There you go, Ricky.

Newvee2011
08-05-11, 10:01 PM
Well, thnx fro that info.. Good stuff to know.. I'll drive it normal for a while since I never drove stick before so I think I won't be wheel hoping for a little while..LOL The car is on the delivery truck and headed my way so should have it in a few days.. Can't wait. I am very excited...

Newvee2011
08-09-11, 12:22 PM
The V has arrived.. it feels great.. Even the delivery guy said it feels great.. I am going to get 2 new tires which it needs then take it for inspection. Once I get back its fluid change time.. Clutch and Diff will be first as suggested and of course oil ...Thanks for all the help.. Ill keep ya posted...

rand49er
08-09-11, 01:45 PM
... I am going to get 2 new tires which it needs ...Let me guess: The rears?

Newvee2011
08-10-11, 01:03 AM
yupp, the rears..LOL Clutch fluid is done.. Now for the diff fluid.. Is there any way I can tell if the diff fluid needs to be changed ? Also, my side brake lights are out on both sides.. Figured I would replace the bulbs first but don't know what bulbs are the brake bulbs and what bulbs should I replace them with ? I have to get an inspection tomorrow...

ctsvdubbz
08-10-11, 12:03 PM
muffler delete??? explain....

thebigjimsho
08-10-11, 02:49 PM
yupp, the rears..LOL Clutch fluid is done.. Now for the diff fluid.. Is there any way I can tell if the diff fluid needs to be changed ? Also, my side brake lights are out on both sides.. Figured I would replace the bulbs first but don't know what bulbs are the brake bulbs and what bulbs should I replace them with ? I have to get an inspection tomorrow...Do the diff fluid regardless! Cheap insurance and it's easy to do.

JDB
08-10-11, 04:18 PM
Welcome! Lots of new owners recently....

Read the FAQs site:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/

And the Sticky thread entitled FAQs at the top of the General Discussion forum.

Then report back with questions.

Newvee2011
08-10-11, 11:04 PM
K, turned out to be the bulbs so that's dunn.. Inspection dunn.. Now when I shift gears it feels like the engine is moving.. I'm thinking it needs motor mounts.. I think I need a V owner in Dallas to drive my car and tell me what they think !! LOL I only been driving manual for a week.. LOL Any one in Dallas have some fre time over the weekend ?

rand49er
08-11-11, 07:58 AM
... Now when I shift gears it feels like the engine is moving ...Not sure if I'm interpreting this correctly, but if it feels like the clutch is not fully disengaging, you may need to bleed the clutch more.

A sure sign the motor mounts are bad is if the motor seems to shake upon shut down.

Lots of guys in and around the Dallas area. Getting one of them to look at your car would be worth a couple of beers.

DDS rollin a CTS
08-11-11, 12:12 PM
muffler delete??? explain....

Its pretty much what it sounds like. Take your car to a muffler shop, have them chop off the mufflers and replace them with 2.5" pipe, then pick out a nice set of tips. I pretty much did what this guy did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yj5Gn9u29s

It sounds AWSOME and is a lot cheaper than buying an aftermarket system if your budget is a bit tight right now. Its not too intrusive at regular driving conditions, but SCREAMS when you really get on it (at my last autocross event the sound guy measured my exhaust at 92db as I drove by at WOT!). I cant count how many people have stopped me now and told me how much they like the sound of my V. Its like they dont even really notice it until they hear it.

Newvee2011
08-11-11, 10:21 PM
The engine does kind of shake a bit when I shut it down.. The clutch is brand new. wonder if it does still need to be bleed.. My beer fridge is always full so if anyone in or around Keller Texas has some time.. I would really appreciate an experienced look at the car.. Also, I will definitely take care of the muffler delete...Thanks...

Newvee2011
08-12-11, 12:04 AM
K, so had a friend drive the car, not a V owner but knows manual.. He says that it is hard to put the shifter in 1st gear and after you get out of first we small a kind of a clutch burnt smell..Any thoughts ? Reminder, the clutch from what the dealer says in Brand new and the clutch fluid is clear...

GDPossehl
08-12-11, 09:15 AM
Clutch not broken in yet?

Newvee2011
08-12-11, 10:11 PM
The clutch is brand new so if it needs to be broken in then that definitely could be the cause of the smell...

Newvee2011
08-22-11, 03:37 PM
K, new problem... When I hit the gas i hear a clanck in the rear I believe...What could this be ?

Sullyfx
08-22-11, 03:43 PM
Mine has down pipes just before the stock mufflers ( bought it that way ). I thought of just doing a delete, but was told it may throw some code if I did....

Any know if that true?

Newvee2011
08-23-11, 06:04 PM
So, I found out what the ugly noises were in the rear.. My DIFF snapped.. From what I'm reading it's a common problem with the 04 and 05 models.. There's someone on here with a third generation rearend that I'm gonna graab.. Now I just have to find out how to swapp them out..