Cadillac Owners Forum banner

If Engine has been Studed can you Remove the heads and put the heads back with in car

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  ThumperPup 
#1 ·
Just wondering i hope this does not sound stupid but ok so i know that
we cant stud an engine whyll its still int he cars because of there not being enough room to do the workd and all
but if the engine is in the car and it has been studed can you remove and lift the heads and also replace them like say if you ever need to change the gaskets again for any reason can that be doen with the motor still in the car or does it have to come out will the heads not slid over the studs with it still in the car
just curious

#6 ·
ok next questiong

Head gaskets fail 6 years down the road has nothign to do with threads or studs pulling from the block only has to do with the gaskets them selves failing
since the engine has to come out still but not all the work that has to go threw to inser and drill or stud an engine needs to be doen again
just the heads need to come off and gaskets changed and heads put back on rigth ?
so what would at todays labor rates a good price just for a head gasket job on a our caddys be if they shop did not have to do the drilling or anyting like that again just curous about this

#9 ·
A lot can happen in six years, depending on mileage and what else was done during the first head gasket replacement. The engine will still have to come out because there is no room to get the rear head out with studs installed in the engine bay. At that point, the engine may need other work unrelated to just the heads.

#10 ·
Engine was totaly rebuilt all parts that could not be carbonized cleaned and looked perfect or what ever counts tords looking like they where perfect where reaplced block was replaced so im just talking about if the heads go
what a good price would be like say a shop charged 85 an hour for labor how many hours would a proper shop charge to do this work if they did not have to drill and inser or stud the engine i guess thats what i was asking

i know alot of things could go wrong but for this post thats what im curious about i guess i was curious about it yesterday just kind of bored and had nothing to do so started thinking about things and that came up lol

#13 ·
ok guess its going to be inposible to get an answer on this so just forget it geeeeeeeeeeeee
i get it its fun to make jokes of things at times even i do it at times

but its not usless stingroo its not useless at all
hey it could help soemone from a mechanic that could say well its going to be the same price as if they dont have to do it
so some mechanic could be making out charging 2000 dollars to do a job that really only cost 1500 so i was just curious but never fedaking mind

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.