: 95 STS-SES indicator

ajustice4u
10-21-04, 10:02 AM
The water pump belt was just replaced on my 4.6 N*and now the service engine soon indicator is on. Why and do I have to take it to the dealer to get it reset?

Ranger
10-21-04, 02:52 PM
No you do not need to go to the dealer. The SES light is telling you that something failed and there is a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) stored. You need to enter the diagnostics, get the codes and post them. This link should help you with the diagnostics.
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html

ajustice4u
10-21-04, 03:02 PM
Great...even though I am female and blonde I think I can do this! Thanks for the quick reply and link!

rswaim
10-22-04, 10:44 AM
ajustice4u, have you been able to get any codes out of yet? If so, what were they? Being female and blond is not a handicap when it comes to pushing buttons, you too, can do it.

ajustice4u
10-27-04, 08:45 AM
Yes...I got P036 History, P038 Current, and P074 History. No for IPC, APC, SIR, RSS. The link says that P038 is Open MAT Sensor Signal, so I guess I will go from there with the mechanic. Does it hurt anything to drive the car in this condition? .... :hmm: Thanks again!

Ranger
10-27-04, 10:44 AM
I don't think you will do any harm driving it like that. The PCM will substitue a default setting to make the car drivable. Possibly fuel milage may suffer but thats about it I think.

ajustice4u
10-27-04, 10:46 AM
I just posted a new question: How much will this set me back and is it a big deal?

rswaim
10-28-04, 04:57 PM
ajustice4u, I believe you now know the problem. The MAT sensor is the sensor that monitors the Manifold Air Temperature. Have your mechanic change it out. I believe the cost is not as bad as you would think, about $20.00 for the part, could be alittle more, don't hold me to that. Call your dealers parts department and tell them the year, engine size, etc.., and they will give you the price. Then ask your man what he would charge you to install it. This part does not have to be adjusted, set, or anything like that. Just install and go. You, yourself can install this part. When you go get your part, ask the parts guy to show you the location on his screen, in front of him, when he looks it up. I don't believe it requires any special tools. You will never know, until you try.
The PCM will then show a history for this code, until you clear the codes in the PCM. This too, is easily done. :thumbsup:

ajustice4u
10-29-04, 08:45 AM
Done, part cost $15 and $30 labor. The service engine light is off but I cant tell much difference in the way the car is running, still a very rough idle. Mechanic says I need tune up...I will go for that. But, is there a chance I damaged something when the car ran hot that is causing it to miss? All these problems started after that...

rswaim
10-29-04, 08:59 AM
aj, I don't think you did any damage to engine, although it is hard to say, not knowing just how hot it got. This engine is designed to handle some heat, but like all engines, heat is an enemy. I would think at this point, the idle learn may not be set just right, but driving it will help that. A rough idle can be a number of things. I would suggest you driving it for a few days to see if it smoothes out. The heat, once again not knowing the actual temperature it did achieve, could have cause a plug, or two, to foul out. I wouldn't replace the plugs just yet. Drive it for a few days, then see what it does. Things are looking up for you. :thumbsup:

ajustice4u
10-30-04, 09:54 AM
It has been several days, so we are going ahead with the plug and wire replacement. Checked yesterday and no new codes. Hope this does the trick...I hate to hear it run this way!

ajustice4u
11-01-04, 03:55 PM
The plugs and wires did it! Thanks a bunch for the help.... :bouncy:

ajustice4u
11-04-04, 09:01 AM
SES is on again but engine is running fine...no codes...frustration!!!

rswaim
11-05-04, 09:17 AM
Strange. Do you want to use this tread or the other one? Let's pick one and stay on it, with this issue.

What part of Arkansas, just a general location.