: AC/HEATER Problem

renegaderob18
08-02-11, 12:36 PM
I have touched on this a little before but have more information, but i will start from the beginning. I have a 1994 Brougham. The ac seems to slow down putting out cold air when you stop at a light or stop sign by about a third, but when driving seems ok. It also seems to take 25 minutes of full driving to make the car feel cool inside. The ac is fully charged as I've had it tested twice. about a month ago the ac did not come on until about after two minutes the car was running even though it was set at 60 and on high. Since then I have had no problem with the ac coming on, just only the air slowing down when I stop as described above. Today I left and the ac did not come on again so I tried to turn it up to 90 degrees to see if the heat would start blowing. Nothing happened so no heat or ac blew out. I had three places to go today and each time I shut the car off and turned it on still no ac, but then the third time I started it the ac came on and was fine all the way home. The car sat no more then 5-10 minutes each place. Could this be the blower or something else since? It's to dang out to run without ac.

sven914
08-02-11, 01:28 PM
I personally would replace the blower motor first, just to rule it out as a possible cause. It is possible that the blower motor cannot spin fast enough to cool the car; when you are driving, you're feeling the wind circulating through the vents, which is making the blower feel like it's at full power.

The A/C system not cooling the car could also mean there is an issue with the actual ECC. Have you checked to see if the compressor clutch engages, when you set the system to 60 AUTO? If the clutch is not engaging, combined with the non-operable blower, then that indicates that one or more of the ECC components (Power Module, Programmer, or Control Head) is failing.

renegaderob18
08-02-11, 08:48 PM
I checked the compressor clutch and it is running like it should. I guess that would point to the blower?

turbojimmy
08-03-11, 08:30 AM
I would guess its the blower control module. Thefleetwood guy probably has one.

csbuckn
08-03-11, 10:24 AM
I dont see the blower motor being the problem as long as its getting proper power. I guess you could test it by running the car and see if it speeds up at different RPM levels. I have to admit, I've been in a lot of cars where the AC slows down at lower RPM. If your blower motor looses power at lower RPM, I would be more worried about what is providing power for it.

turbojimmy
08-03-11, 11:11 AM
I dont see the blower motor being the problem as long as its getting proper power. I guess you could test it by running the car and see if it speeds up at different RPM levels. I have to admit, I've been in a lot of cars where the AC slows down at lower RPM. If your blower motor looses power at lower RPM, I would be more worried about what is providing power for it.

The blower control module provides power for it and the blade connectors on the module break loose over time. I had the same problem on my '96. The blower became intermittent and eventually didn't work at all. If you drop the sound insulator down on the passenger side, you can see the module right there. I'd bet that if you wiggle the connector the blower will start and stop.

All that being said, my '96 never did seem to cool right even with the A/C pressures at the factory optimal settings. Even after replacing the control module, the fan would run like mad but air out of the vents did not seem to correspond with blower speed. I dunno if it was a problem with a door or some blockage in the system. The rear A/C (limo) worked awesome and worked off the same system, so I'm thinking that the stock air flow setup was either inadequate or blocked somehow.

renegaderob18
08-03-11, 11:46 AM
So what I am understanding here is check the blower motor to see if there are any connectors that are loose. If they are loose I need to replace the blower motor then?

turbojimmy
08-03-11, 11:50 AM
So what I am understanding here is check the blower motor to see if there are any connectors that are loose. If they are loose I need to replace the blower motor then?

Actually you can't see that they're loose when it's plugged in. If you unplug the connector at the control module, sometimes the blades come with it - they detach from the module. The module is bolted to the HVAC housing, to the left of the blower motor. There's a 4-position connector plugged into it.

See this thread. I've been calling it the control module (that's what the manual calls it). It's the part labeled the blower resistor in the pic in the thread.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/215897-96-fleetwood-blower-motor-not-kicking.html

renegaderob18
08-03-11, 08:59 PM
My ac did not work today so while I was stopped I pounded 3 or 4 times on the insulator since I didn't drop it yet and the ac started blowing so it must be the resistor. Is the resistor easy to take out and put in?

turbojimmy
08-03-11, 09:48 PM
It's easy to replace. Once you drop the insulator it's all right there. You need to wedge yourself in under the dash, but if you move the seat back all the way it's not so bad.