: Trunk Pulldown "Paddle" Switch

turbojimmy
08-02-11, 12:08 PM
As we all know by now, the trunk pulldown mechanism isn't really a model of reliability. When the trunk is stuck open and won't pull down, it's the result of a faulty paddle switch 99.9% of the time.

It may not work for you, but I'm 2 for 2 with this repair:

You can remove the paddle switch by taking out one Torx-head screw. It will slide up and out of the trunk motor bracket. I drilled out the rivets that hold it together. There are lots of contacts in there both on the top (where the paddle is) and the bottom (where the trunk-closed switch is). I spray them with WD-40, clean them with steel wool, bend them a bit so they make tighter contact and reassemble the switch. You have to make sure the spring for the trunk-closed switch is installed properly when you put it back together (it should "snap" up and down when it's reassembled). That single Torx-head screw is enough to hold it together once it's reinstalled. If you want, you can get a small nut and bolt in place of the rivet to hold the other side of the case together.

I did this on my '96 and it still worked when I sold it. I just did it on my '94 and it works now too!

outsider
08-02-11, 12:18 PM
nice. any pictures of the process?

turbojimmy
08-02-11, 12:21 PM
nice. any pictures of the process?

No - sorry. As I was doing it, I said to myself "I really should take pictures", but then got distracted and never got the camera.

Cadillacboy
08-02-11, 12:32 PM
Good tips :)

Fleetwood Greg
08-04-11, 11:47 AM
I know just what your talking about, I have to give mine a tap occasionally from behind then I can see that little tab rotate down.
Otherwise the trunk will not close.
Thanks for the info.
Greg