: Fender lamp question..only on when parking lights are on?

mkiligian
08-01-11, 09:27 PM
This is my first post here on the forum and hope someone can help me out. Been reading this forum for weeks and this place has a lot of great info. I tried to search for this problem but can not seem to find the correct info i'm looking for.

The side fender lamp on my 2005 STS N* light up when the auto lamps are on in the daytime and i have it in drive, but as soon as my headlamps turn on once its dark the side fender lamps shut off. All the other lamps work correctly. I have seen pics of other peoples cars with these lamps on even with the headlamps on. Did they bypass something or maybe i have a problems somewhere.

Well thanks for any info.

chazglenn3
08-01-11, 09:53 PM
Mine only light up when the headlights are on when the turn signal for that side is on. I think that is how they are designed.

ddalder
08-01-11, 11:37 PM
That's not working correctly. The amber and red lamps on the side of your vehicle (front & rear) should always illuminate when:

A) You manually turn on your park lamps or headlamps.
B) At night when your lamps come on automatically.
C) When your windshield wipers are on for more than six seconds (including in RainSense mode). Your headlights will also come on under these circumstances.

Can't really comment on what may be causing it. Does this happen on both sides, or just the left? There is also a small lamp inside your headlamp assemblies, bottom inside. When do these come on for you? They should work along with the side markers.

mkiligian
08-02-11, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the replies. I just went out and turned the vehicle on and played with the lamps. In "park lamp" mode the two little head lamp bulbs came on and the right side front fender lamp is on. The left side is still off, so its probably the bulb in there. Maybe a 194, 192 or 168 bulb i'm sure.

But are the side fender lamps near the door supposed to light up also? The reason i ask is because i've seen pictures of cars on the web with these on when the pic was taken with the head lamps on. Mine work when the blinker is on.
Also when i have it at auto lamps on in the daytime the front parking lamps under the headlamps are on as well as these. But only when i have it in gear.

I don't know, not sure if i'm making sense. Well thanks again for any help.

ddalder
08-02-11, 01:09 AM
It does sound like you probably have a bulb out. I don't know the bulb number off hand, but it should be the amber version of a 194 if I'm not mistaken. The lamps closest to the front doors are signal lights only.

I was a little confused at first because your photo shows one of the side markers out. I thought that's what you were referring to as the fender lamp.

chazglenn3
08-02-11, 07:05 PM
Yes, signal lights only when headlights or parking lights are on, and on constantly when the headlights or parking lights are off is how mine work.

ddalder
08-03-11, 02:31 AM
Yes, signal lights only when headlights or parking lights are on, and on constantly when the headlights or parking lights are off is how mine work.
Yours are different than mine then. In my '08, they are strictly signal lights. It doesn't matter if it's day, night, park lights on/off or headlights auto or manual. They are never on constantly.

chazglenn3
08-03-11, 10:32 PM
Mine on on full time during daylight...anyone else? The wiring diagram for my car shows the fender repeater lights hard wired to the front turn signals. This would explain how mine operate. The turn signals are on as DRL's during the day. Only blink with the turn signals at night since they are off unless indicating a turn.

mkiligian
08-04-11, 02:46 AM
That's how mine are. In The day when the running lamps are on the side repeater lamps are lit up. But at night the go off and on come on only when i use the blinker. I have seen a few cars with these lamps on at night time driving down the road. Thats why i was asking. It did not look to bad to be honest, kinda looked cool. Think the car was a bmw or lexus or something.