: Went to the muffler shop with the "new" limo...

turbojimmy
08-01-11, 03:02 PM
...and finally caught a break. The exhaust system looks pretty good for a 17-year old car. The source of the noise was a hole rotted through the intermediate pipe. $80 for a new section of pipe and it's nice and quiet now. Got to look around underneath it on the lift and it looks pretty damn good.

Hoping to score an A/C compressor from Jim thefleetwoodguy, which will help cost-wise too.

Whoever did the hack-job vinyl-roof replacement apparently never drove the car after the "repair". The whole top is ready to come flying off of the thing. It's lifting in the front and air is getting under it causing it to balloon. The air is finding its way back out anywhere it can by tearing it loose in random places. The idiot just draped vinyl over the top of it and glued down the edges. Some spots aren't even glued - they're just tucked into the door weather stripping. I need to do something with it quick. That top is going to cost more than the engine replacement on the '96.

The ALC system is a conundrum. The relay works and runs the pump if I ground it manually. If I let it run long enough, I can hear the exhaust valve open and vent the shocks when the back gets too high. However, there is a slow leak in the system and it won't pump itself back up. It also doesn't run at startup like it's supposed to. I'll have to goof around with it some more.

Anyhow, without the exhaust leak I'm not *as* embarrassed to drive it around. The ballooning top looks pretty trashy, though. I'll knock 'em down one at a time....

outsider
08-01-11, 03:21 PM
ever consider not replacing the v top? a limo with a v top delete would look nice :D

CADforce69
08-01-11, 03:30 PM
vinyl roofs are glued normally by the "C" pillars and the roof edges, as well as hooked to the windshield moldings (in your case, the windshield groove) but the botcher who did it failed in the roof edges and front hooking. At least it won´t be too difficult taking vinyl out. Before that, you can try to go to an upholsterer that can copy your vinyl roof so he supplies it cut and stitched to you and you could install it on the car. Maybe you save some money that way.

turbojimmy
08-01-11, 04:15 PM
I had considered deleting the vinyl top, but I suspect there's a lot of badness related to the stretch that's hidden under it. Plus there's the whole different-back-window thing. When I was looking for my '96, I found one that was a legitimate non-vinyl roof stretch. It looked *really* cool, but was pretty hacked up otherwise.

I could take this top off an just do a "landau" roof kind of thing in the back. Might look goofy tho.

I plan to take it to an upholstery guy tomorrow. He did some work on my '96 and some go karts I have. He *might* be able to use the material that's there, but it's a pretty hokey job. I'll see what he wants to do the whole thing. My '96 vinyl top was lifting back by the LH door. He repaired it and said "it's better than $1,200 for the whole top". I'm thinking that's gonna be the cost of a new top on this thing if it comes to that. I don't even know what the current material is. It looks like fabric shop vinyl - not automotive grade.

I'm going to try to glue down the front edge to see if that helps. I have some 3M vinyl adhesive laying around. I tried the other day and sprayed it all over the roof, windshield and doors. The spray nozzle on the can has the accuracy of a sawed off shotgun. I'll have to try it again with some masking tape....

MoistCabbage
08-01-11, 05:42 PM
Whoever did the hack-job vinyl-roof replacement apparently never drove the car after the "repair". The whole top is ready to come flying off of the thing. It's lifting in the front and air is getting under it causing it to balloon. The air is finding its way back out anywhere it can by tearing it loose in random places. The idiot just draped vinyl over the top of it and glued down the edges. Some spots aren't even glued - they're just tucked into the door weather stripping. I need to do something with it quick. That top is going to cost more than the engine replacement on the '96.

I always enjoy walking through the junk yard, and spotting the ridiculous "repairs" (or modifications) some people subject their cars to, it's a riot. However, it really sucks when you find such "workmanship" on your own car. I hope the whole roof situation isn't as bad as it seems, keep us posted on the new limo. Good luck.

turbojimmy
08-01-11, 05:48 PM
I always enjoy walking through the junk yard, and spotting the ridiculous "repairs" (or modifications) some people subject their cars to, it's a riot. However, it really sucks when you find such "workmanship" on your own car. I hope the whole roof situation isn't as bad as it seems, keep us posted on the new limo. Good luck.

I knew the top was a problem when I bought the car. It was clear in the pics, and the ad stated that it wasn't done properly. I'm seriously considering using it as an opportunity to add a sunroof or two....