: Random Stability control engagement?

jwilson2598
07-31-11, 07:06 PM
Anyone had an issue with the Stability control randomly engaging while going straight down the road? On the way to C&C this morning I was running about 70-75 down the interstate and all the sudden I felt a quick blip, and the "Stability Control Engaged" message popped up on the Nav screen. Did it 2 or 3 more times, then finally did it for 3-5 seconds, enough to kick the cruise out that time. When I left C&C, I had it do the same thing again once out on the highway. I then disabled it and continued on my way to the destination. I reenabled it once I got off the highway just to see what would happen, nothing unusual. Then I left and drove home about 30ish miles this afternoon, but never came on during that leg of the trip. I did notice I never got the message about anything being wrong with the system, just the engaged message. Wondering if I had something fluke happen, and the off/on cycle cleared it out, or if something is about to go bad and need $$/attention?

darkman
07-31-11, 08:22 PM
You may have sensor going out. If I remember correctly the list possible sensors includes the yaw sensor (Heavy had one these fail ), the steering wheel position sensor, the wheel speed sensors (there are 4 of these) and the transmission speed sensor.

-T-
08-06-11, 10:47 AM
Just had it happen to me. It brought me to a complete stop from 35mph going straight. Now, anytime the clutch is fully engaged, it stops me unless I disable stability control. Threw my OBD2 reader on and there's no codes. This sounds like it is going to be expensive. I'm glad I didn't have my kids in the car with me and a car behind me, I doubt the brake lights come on in that mode.

CancerJCC
08-06-11, 07:05 PM
Just had it happen to me. It brought me to a complete stop from 35mph going straight. Now, anytime the clutch is fully engaged, it stops me unless I disable stability control. Threw my OBD2 reader on and there's no codes. This sounds like it is going to be expensive. I'm glad I didn't have my kids in the car with me and a car behind me, I doubt the brake lights come on in that mode.

Just so you know that is COMPLETELY different than my SWPS issue. When it is going out a MOMENTARY abs "tap" occurs but releases right away.

heavymetals
08-07-11, 12:58 AM
If it is the YAW sensor, the G meter will give a funny reading (mine did anyway).

To check the SWPS, you connect TECH II and as you turn the wheel, you bang on the column while monitoring the #'s changing on TECH II.

If they jump around and no smooth transitioning, the sensor is funky.

jwilson2598
08-08-11, 04:36 PM
How funny were the readings? I noticed this morning while riding in that I could get a reading on the G meter by barely turning the wheel to the right, whereas to the left I had to really move it to get a reading. Later on it went back to both being about the same. Still hasn't kicked on in over a week, but I assume there's a time bomb just hiding in there...

heavymetals
08-08-11, 04:57 PM
I was getting readings close to or over 1g (any direction) and I don't drive that way.

It took me over two years to finally nail it.

You just my be the "other" person to have a YAW sensor crap out.

CancerJCC
08-09-11, 09:07 PM
You just my be the "other" person to have a YAW sensor crap out.

Darn, now I am going to have to change my "canned" response on these sort of threads!

To the OP I hope it is your YAW sensor. MUCH easier to deal with under the console! :)

UnsafeAtAnySpd
08-09-11, 10:42 PM
Your problem is most likely related to one of the things already mentioned, but I'll throw out my issue as well. I used to get the same thing. Since replacing my broken/bent steering rack, I haven't had it randomly pop up anymore (other than from the cutouts). I'm not sure which sensor would get funny readings from this, but I'm hoping that the problem stays away (so annoying and somewhat scary). *crossing fingers*

OmegaSupreme
09-06-12, 11:11 AM
On my way to work this morning, my V's nav console popped up the "stability system engaged" message twice, both times I was heading straight down the freeway at about 70 MPH. They happened about 20 minutes apart.

Did you ever find and fix your similar issue? What was the problem? SWPS? Yaw sensor?

Thanks!

Oh, and sorry about resurrecting a dead thread. Thought it better than creating a new one for the same problem, however.

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-07-12, 01:06 PM
OmegaSupreme, what model year V do you have? If you'd like me to check for potential recalls open on your vehicle, please send me the last eight of your VIN anytime via email (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com).

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Faber
09-08-12, 04:54 PM
OmegaSupreme - most likely it's your steering wheel position sensor. Seems like most people who report this issue end up reporting it being resolved once they replace that sensor.

OmegaSupreme
09-16-12, 11:53 AM
OmegaSupreme, what model year V do you have? If you'd like me to check for potential recalls open on your vehicle, please send me the last eight of your VIN anytime via email (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com).

Best,

Katie

Email sent! Thanks!!

OmegaSupreme
09-16-12, 11:55 AM
OmegaSupreme - most likely it's your steering wheel position sensor. Seems like most people who report this issue end up reporting it being resolved once they replace that sensor.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the SWPS and see if replacing that fixes the issue. The Stability system has kicked on one more time since I posted a couple weeks ago, although this time I hit a pretty big pothole on the freeway, so that might have been what freaked out the sensor(s).

Thanks again, and sorry about not getting back earlier... life got busy the last couple weeks.

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-17-12, 12:53 PM
Thanks again, and sorry about not getting back earlier... life got busy the last couple weeks.
No worries, Omega! I replied to your email and look forward to working with you.

Katie

OmegaSupreme
10-12-12, 11:21 AM
FYI: Just thought I'd mention that mine, too, appears to have had a faulty SWPS. I replaced it two weeks ago and haven't seen the random Stability Control engagement since.

JDB
10-12-12, 04:08 PM
When my SWPS failed, I got the message "Service Stability System".

Another thing replaced under CPO.

xbladr
10-12-12, 08:12 PM
I will be replacing my SWPS soon... well ill prob have the dealer do it i dont want to mess with pulling the column out etc

Mn800r
10-13-12, 05:51 AM
FYI: Just thought I'd mention that mine, too, appears to have had a faulty SWPS. I replaced it two weeks ago and haven't seen the random Stability Control engagement since.

What kind of job was that to replace? Sensor location ?.

darkman
10-13-12, 01:26 PM
See attached.

Mn800r
10-13-12, 02:37 PM
Thanks darkman, have it on my bookshelf on iPad if and when I need it.

OmegaSupreme
10-13-12, 11:11 PM
What kind of job was that to replace? Sensor location ?.

Yeah, thanks Darkman. Also, you'll want to check out the walk through on the FAQ page. The job took me a couple hours, but would have gone a lot faster if I had someone helping me throughout the entire project. I was flying solo the whole time, until, when going to put the steering column back together through the firewall, I had one of those "duh" moments, realizing there was no way I'd be able to get it all back together without help. So, just make sure, that if you are doing this yourself, you bet a buddy to give you a hand.

Good luck!

v-serious
11-23-12, 02:32 AM
Is the swps also known as the steering wheel motion sensor ? Or do I need to go to the Cadillac dealership and order the steering wheel position sensor

----------

Can you go to auto zone and get that sensor or do I half to go to the Cadillac dealership because auto zone had a steering wheel motion sensor and I wasn't sure if that was the same sensor or not . Thanks