: I think I need a V wagon

FLTRI
07-31-11, 05:54 PM
Hi All, new guy warning...

I made the mistake in stopping at the local Caddy dealer yesterday after seeing a CTS wagon (non-V) a few days ago. We are in the market for a new car, and dang the wagon looks cool and still functional. They had a couple of V wagons on the floor. Wow, what a stunning sled that is!

So, here's my quandary. Help me justify the nearly $17K price difference from a 3.6 Sport wagon. And then there is the fuel mileage issue. Is the insurance outrageous on a 556HP car like this?

I'm almost certainy gonna pull the trigger, but need that push, I guess...

Thanks
Some new Guy...

Teutonaddict
07-31-11, 06:17 PM
Welcome to the forum! You're asking a logical question to an emotional situation. You're a Road Glide guy, right? There's something visceral about riding a big V-twin touring bike that you can't get anywhere else. I'd say it's the same thing between the Vagon and its 3.6 counterpart. The V6 wagon is a very nice machine. But the V2 is a whole different animal. You're going to find reasons to run to the store. You're going to forget things on purpose, just so you can go for another spin. It's not at all the practical decision, but your grins per mile quotient cannot be matched by the V6 variant.

And if you're feeling really perky, you'll go for the 556HP wagon AND the 6-speed manual. There's nothing else like it on the planet! Good luck with your decision. You've come to the right place for advice! BTW, I've got an FLHRCI.

stabie
07-31-11, 06:20 PM
My insurance only went up 100/year changing from a 2008 CTS sedan to a 2011 V wagon. Mileage is an issue though. My 08 got around 21 with my mix of driving. The wagon is getting around 16 (premium gas too). For me, I don't put alot of miles on, so not a huge issue. The growl of the V is much more satisfying than the sedan was. Also for me, the recaro seats are much more comfy so far. No road trips yet to verify long rides. So far only about 90 minutes of driving in one stretch on the V.

neuronbob
07-31-11, 08:11 PM
Mileage? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! If you are looking for good mileage, stick with the non-V wagon.

If you are looking for fun, endless torque, and a reasonable auto insurance price, the V is for you. There are many threads about insurance costs with a V-series and they all end with some variant of "depends on where you garage the car, how many accidents you've been in, how old you are, and how many insurance products you have with the company you are using". I pay $586 for six months with my V, which was about $150 more than with my previous, nonperformance car.

garfin
07-31-11, 09:19 PM
Just amortize the premium for the Vagon over the number of years you'll have (and enjoy) it.
The car is simply an amazing experience... you only live once... and this is not a dress rehearsal!
Just do eet, mon!

Best regards,

Elie

elphil
07-31-11, 09:49 PM
Of course, you have to make the final decision. I had a standard Wagon for 18 months and then switched to the V-Wagon. You can't go wrong with either one. But, the standard Wagon is nice while the V-Wagon is awesome. Let us know which way you go.

My auto insurance, with State Farm, went up about $100 a year from the standard Wagon to the V-Wagon.

SRTVIPER03
08-01-11, 02:19 PM
IMHO you shouldn't buy a V Wagon. We need FEWER V Wagons sold not more. I like not seeing another V Wagon when I drive mine. I like no other V Wagons at Donut Derelicts or Cars and Coffee when I park mine there. I like the gold chain set staring away when I embarass them on the freeway because they've never seen a wagon pull away like that before. Keep the $17k and lower insurance premiums and better mileage.

ChicagoV
08-01-11, 03:07 PM
SRTVIPER03- Cadillac rep told me yesterday that they expect the final 2011 V-wagon number to be around 500 total.

to OP: I come down on the side of you only live once. Can you justify the extra $17,000, plus more gas and increased insurance cost- I don't know, but I never thought about it for a second. The CTS wagon is a nice car, the V-wagon is iconic.

JimmyH
08-01-11, 04:33 PM
:drool:

http://www.cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/cars/ctsvwagon.jpg

MotownPimp
08-01-11, 05:45 PM
If you got the coin and can stand the heat from your significant other, gooooooooooooooo for it.

Squirlz
08-01-11, 05:53 PM
If it wasn't for the V I wouldn't have had any interest in a Cadillac at all. I probably wouldn't have even been shopping for a car. But when I saw pictures of the Black Diamond V wagon I just had to have it. I ordered one July 8.

Tuna
08-02-11, 10:19 AM
I'm getting 16-17 in town and 20-21+ on the highway with my V Wagon. It has just over 6K miles on it now, so It's almost broke-in. Not as good as my Vettes but not bad for a big car with twice the air drag of a Vette and the 3.73 gears. Can't speak to insurance as all my cars cost about the same to insure, so I don't have any "regular" cars to compare it to.

I love my V Wagon.

MReiland
08-02-11, 11:09 AM
FLTRI, what are you in right now that you are getting rid of for the Wagon? Maybe I could help with your decision a bit....... P.M. is down send me an email :devil:matthew.reiland@gm.com

dhpro
08-02-11, 11:57 AM
Stupid power and unique ride! Cant pass a gas station tho..I have the manual and getting maybe 11mpg! It does it all though - carries the dogs, cargo, bikes on roof and still washes BM's and Benz'...go for the manual...

Teutonaddict
08-02-11, 12:03 PM
FLTRI, what are you in right now that you are getting rid of for the Wagon? Maybe I could help with your decision a bit....... P.M. is down send me an email :devil:matthew.reiland@gm.com

What he said!! Mr. Matt was gracious enough to assist my conversion from 17 years of new BMWs to a Cadillac-only garage. Send him a note!!

SRTVIPER03
08-02-11, 09:55 PM
Matt helped me too! Where you been Matt?

neuronbob
08-02-11, 10:14 PM
+3 on Matt. He is the man.

Thanks again Matt! (2.5 years later :) )

translux
08-02-11, 11:02 PM
I need a wagon too, but have already moded my sedan, anyone want to trade?
Seriously my car plus cash for you wagon..

FLTRI
08-03-11, 12:34 PM
Thanks to Everyone for the input.

Yeah, I'm a Harley Guy. Kinda funny as I have been for years, and decided I'd try something different. I bought a BMW (motorcycle) and rode it for two years. Great machine, but lacking something. Personality, for lack of a better description... It's parked in a corner of my garage, I went out and bought new Road Glide...

As far as convincing the wife, that ended up being easier than I thought it would be, she wants a Corvette Grand Sport roadster. We stopped at the same Cadillac dealer a few years ago, and looked at a XLR-V. I thought that would satisfy her lust for a convertible. For whatever reason, she turned her nose up at it... When I started talking about a "Station Wagon" she laughed at me. Literally.

Then she saw one. Took her about 30 seconds to change her mind. After talking about it, and some internet research, she said, "Yeah, go for the V"...

I have a great insurance agent, I'll call him and double check on insurance costs. He has always taken care of me in the past. We currently drive a Lincoln Aviator (Feel free to flame away) and it gets about the same mileage as the V is advertised to get (and also requires premium) so that should be a transparent issue. It does have a 22 gallon tank, so we can get further between stations though...

Matt, thanks so much for the generous offer. Due to other financial obligations, we are going to have to wait until early next year to actually pull the trigger. I have your email saved, and will definitely get a hold of you when we are ready to buy.

Now to decide on 6-speed vs. auto...:cool:

JimmyH
08-03-11, 01:44 PM
Now to decide on 6-speed vs. auto...:cool:

There is only one logical choice. don't let them cheat you out of a pedal.

Teutonaddict
08-03-11, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I'm a Harley Guy. Kinda funny as I have been for years, and decided I'd try something different. I bought a BMW (motorcycle) and rode it for two years. Great machine, but lacking something. Personality, for lack of a better description... It's parked in a corner of my garage, I went out and bought new Road Glide...

....Now to decide on 6-speed vs. auto...:cool:

That's what I thought, and why I strongly recommend a manual tranny Vagon! It's an experience you cannot replicate anywhere else. Personality oozing out the tailpipes!

Glad you're lucky enough to find a wife who shares your good automotive taste (not knocking the XLR-V btw). And do drop Matt a line when you're ready to buy--you'll be glad you did!

JimmyH
08-03-11, 02:11 PM
The XLR-V was an amazing machine. Overpriced for what it was, but still a great, great car.

FLTRI
08-03-11, 05:40 PM
The XLR-V was an amazing machine. Overpriced for what it was, but still a great, great car.

Yes, it was.

The one we looked at was a lease return, and the dealer was very motivated to sell it. Silver over black, and they were asking well less than 1/2 of MSRP. It was drop dead sexy, and I had the checkbook out.

I don't know why she didn't like it, I still kick myself for not jumping on that car...

JimmyH
08-03-11, 06:13 PM
There is guy on this forum who proved that that supercharged northstar left alot of hp on the table.

550HP STSV
08-03-11, 07:21 PM
ahem ^^

JimmyH
08-03-11, 07:39 PM
there is another

550HP STSV
08-03-11, 09:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNIyTtuL_tc

and gizmo i bet.