: super/uberlux cars and the components inside/on them...

OffThaHorseCEO
07-30-11, 02:26 PM
Ive seen or read about super stars or other rich people buying a lamborghini and spending 2-300k customizing it. it ends up being a set of wheels, maybe a custom stereo and some reupholstering of the interior. ive always thought this was ridiculous

another example i saw today on jalonik, a maybach literally has a fender bender with a taxi, and it costs 24000 to fix! the supposed reason for the exorbitant cost is shipping the part from germany and painstaking paint matching.
1) im sure a painter would repaint your whole car for less than 24000 and it would come out as nice or nicer than the factory paint.
2) it cant cost that much to ship a fender from germany.

I seriously dont understand it, theyre not using special metal, and if theyre using special material at all, its probably carbon fiber.

I know alot of it has to do with the fact that rich people think nothing of a 24000 repair bill but, are rich people really this stupid?

gary88
07-30-11, 02:56 PM
It has nothing to do with rich people "being stupid". Maybach only builds around 1,000 units a year and they're all hand-built to customer specifications, nothing will be cheap in that situation. It's not as if they can just grab one of the 1,000,000+ fenders sitting around as is the case with mass produced manufacturers.

Also someone who spent $400,000+ on a car isn't going to really worry about spending $24,000 to fix it. That's pocket change for them. It's not uncommon for these people to also have a Gulfstream and 60+ foot yacht as well.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-30-11, 03:18 PM
ok but i guarantee if i had a maybach and a gulfstream jet and yacht, id still be pissed that it cost me 24k just to fix a small dent

they dont have to have 1,000,000+ fenders sitting around, they just have to know that the sheetmetal is the same regardless of how the customer "specs" it. they also should have the common sense to know that the vehicle is being operated by humans and around humans and so shit will break. its not like they chill at the maybach offices until a call comes in, "hey, mr moneybags just crashed his car", "oh crap really? we'll have to build him a brand new fender, get the elves and the unicorns out stat! Call up harry potter while youre at it, we'll need more magic"

its still just a fender at the end of the day. the body shop doing the repairs can say they hand built part of your car too

Stingroo
07-30-11, 04:15 PM
Needs moar Dumbledore.

Oh wait, he died.

Carry on. :coffee:

ThumperPup
07-30-11, 05:00 PM
with those cars its all about statment you drive one your making a statement you own one your making a statment what that statment means and says is toaly up to you and the ones watching you to some you could be making the statement i got 500 mill in the bank but to the ones who are seeing you the statment could be oh man that dumb shumck morone spent money on that lol

shoot might as well go and just find a used model and chop the thing forparts or somehting

Jesda
07-31-11, 02:13 AM
I know a guy who runs a body shop in St Louis. Tow your Azure to him and I guarantee he can do the fender for $200 out the door. Tip him with a Subway gift card. Of course, it won't look like a Bentley anymore if the sun shines on the painted area.

You don't buy these cars for value. You buy them because everything from purchase to ownership costs a lot of money.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-31-11, 02:22 AM
Yeah, part of the reason these super lux/ low production cars are sold are because the people who buy them buy them because they view it as a piece of art, and they like the elitism that go along with owning it.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-31-11, 01:06 PM
ok and i can understand that BUT, do you mean to tell me there isnt a master painter out there who DOESNT work for bentley rolls etc etc that can match your paint perfectly and doesnt charge a milli for it?

do you really mean to tell me that unless they send Hans and Franz over here the paint on your supersedan isnt going to look right?

Rodya234
07-31-11, 03:10 PM
I don't think someone who isn't obscenely rich could understand the justification of paying that much money for a car repair. The logic of normal people is that paying $24,000 for a fender is outrageous because that's a large amount of money to us. But I think there's a point at which you become so rich that you don't care about money.

ThumperPup
07-31-11, 05:01 PM
its kind of like the rich super rich if they go to buy a new bed and matress set just the matress set you wont see them in Value City Furniture looking around you will most likley see them at some fancy place like Ethan Allen or Elgine or Levine or some custom desighn store for home interiors and bedding
where they will spend 5k -12k for just a Matress Set
well I just went to JcPenny store and got that same Sterns and Foster Matress that soemone went into Ethan Allen and paid 7999 for well i paid i paid 1900 for mine today

Or the one who goes shopping for a sofa at Ethan Allen they can spend 5999 for a nice luxury sofa there if they are mill er
or the pore folks can go get hat same damm or comparable damm near sofa for 1100 dollars

Think about it the Billion airs go and buy R-R or a Bentley the millions go and get an audi or a vw pheton joking
but billions will get the Maybach and Millions will go get a Mercedes

it all has to do with who is trying to show off there wallet and checking account more
I know that if i had 10 million 20 million or 30 million im not about to go spend 500k on a car but if i had a 100 million i probably would not mind having to spend 24k to repair my car but if i only had 30 million id feel thats just plain old dumb to spend that money

it comes down to do you want the name brand or do you want house brand ?

well our house brand is Chevy Chrysler or Ford and to us name brand would be Cadillac and to some Lincoln LOL
well to the Million and billionairs name brand is bently RR maybach and house brand is MB Audi Porchea BMW

orconn
07-31-11, 05:39 PM
As old Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt used to say when ask about the cost of one of his yachts, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!"

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-31-11, 05:48 PM
If you think the replacement parts for the Bentleys and Rolls Royces are expensive today, just imagine what it would cost to get a fender fabricated, painted and installed for a 1932 Duesenberg one-off model!

Jesda
07-31-11, 06:00 PM
ok and i can understand that BUT, do you mean to tell me there isnt a master painter out there who DOESNT work for bentley rolls etc etc that can match your paint perfectly and doesnt charge a milli for it?

He could, but then it wouldn't be 100% Bentley anymore. It would be a Bentley with someone else's aftermarket handywork involved, which would ruin some of the ownership experience.

You could get the same driving pleasure from a high-end Mercedes, but you don't get the factory-trained craftsmanship. You wouldn't get the pleasure of knowing that this guy or that guy, who trained for years, worked on this specific part. In other words, dropping your bespoke luxury vehicle at the local body shop would ruin it. You may as well trade it in for a 7-series.

Its the same joy people get out of 1930s-style hot rods. Its not about the power or the look as much as it is the human effort and individual skill that goes into it. I'd argue that the quantity of labor that goes into a hot rod is near or beyond what goes into a bespoke luxury car in terms of dollar value.

ThumperPup
07-31-11, 06:14 PM
there is a shop about 2 miles from my house its authorized repair facility for all exotices they do body work repair on Ferrari Lambos RR Bentleys Maybachs and all other cars there work qulity is hands down one of the best i have ever seen they are the ones who did work on the seville in Fabuary i think it was last time i had to have some work doen they do great work thats for sure hands down but whatr is also for sure hands down there owner and manager of the shop is an total duch bag and he is not so great for customer service not sure how he stays in business since the 50s i think or evne longer

orconn
07-31-11, 06:16 PM
He could, but then it wouldn't be 100% Bentley anymore. It would be a Bentley with someone else's aftermarket handywork involved, which would ruin some of the ownership experience.

You could get the same driving pleasure from a high-end Mercedes, but you don't get the factory-trained craftsmanship. You wouldn't get the pleasure of knowing that this guy or that guy, who trained for years, worked on this specific part. In other words, dropping your bespoke luxury vehicle at the local body shop would ruin it. You may as well trade it in for a 7-series.

Its the same joy people get out of 1930s-style hot rods. Its not about the power or the look as much as it is the human effort and individual skill that goes into it. I'd argue that the quantity of labor that goes into a hot rod is near or beyond what goes into a bespoke luxury car in terms of dollar value.

I agree "theoretically" but in reality I think there may be some "wishful thinking" here! In reality, Mercedes probably has some 25 year old $25/hr Turkish kid spraying up and sanding his heart out to get that "special finish"

orconn
07-31-11, 06:32 PM
I think I've told this story before,, but since it's relevant here I'll Tell it again!

Back in the early 1970's I happened to drop by to see my friend George Pelt (the R-R mgr at Peter Satori in Pasadena) as I occasionally did in those days. The place was in an uproar, one of the salesmen had been shifting a Jag around the showroom when the Jag's accelerator stuck sending it at quick pace, broadside into a brand new R-R Silver Shadow that was also being displayed on the floor. I wasn't there for the actual "shunt," but I saw the results as the wreckage was being cleared and the showroom was being tidied up. The front of the Jag took a lot of damage and the two passenger doors of the Rolls were "toast."

Well the Rolls and Jag were both repaired, and I know as a fact that the Rolls went to a new owner looking as good as new. I also know that the Rolls was repaired on site. Although in those days Rolls-Royce craftsman and technicians didn't make the high hourly rates that dealers charge (you could hire a mid to upper level attorney for today's rates) today (they made about the same as Cadillac technicians of the day). I couldn't tell the difference when I saw the victim Rolls all fixed up. I will have to say if I had ever been in the market for a new Rolls I would have had checked for any repairs before I put my money down!

Jesda
07-31-11, 08:16 PM
I agree "theoretically" but in reality I think there may be some "wishful thinking" here! In reality, Mercedes probably has some 25 year old $25/hr Turkish kid spraying up and sanding his heart out to get that "special finish"

There was a National Geographic special on Rolls Royce that aired over the summer. There are guys in that plant who can't be replaced because they are the only ones skilled enough to build a specific component (pinstriping, wood, leather, whatever). Its getting more and more difficult to find people willing to create things with their hands. The chassis comes from Germany but all the detail work and assembly happens in Goodwood.

So while powertrain and electrical components are sourced directly from BMW's 7-series (similar to how transmissions and radios were in the past sourced from GM), the car itself is otherwise unique and handcrafted. Once you replace a factory-built piece with something that was repaired by a shop, regardless of the level of quality, you lose the sense of pleasure from knowing that every piece of your car was put together by skilled craftsmen sitting at a workbench.

You have to look at these cars the way you look at jewelry.

JimmyH
07-31-11, 09:26 PM
Forget maybach and bentley. Go post this question in the 09V forum. If their cars require any kind of bodywork, the paint better match under a flouroscope or there will be hell to pay. Lulz.

Stingroo
07-31-11, 09:28 PM
I actually agree with Jesda's post.

However I look at jewelery like something stupidly extravagant and serving no purpose. Cars > jewelery.

orconn
07-31-11, 09:34 PM
There was a National Geographic special on Rolls Royce that aired over the summer. There are guys in that plant who can't be replaced because they are the only ones skilled enough to build a specific component (pinstriping, wood, leather, whatever). Its getting more and more difficult to find people willing to create things with their hands. The chassis comes from Germany but all the detail work and assembly happens in Goodwood.

So while powertrain and electrical components are sourced directly from BMW's 7-series (similar to how transmissions and radios were in the past sourced from GM), the car itself is otherwise unique and handcrafted. Once you replace a factory-built piece with something that was repaired by a shop, regardless of the level of quality, you lose the sense of pleasure from knowing that every piece of your car was put together by skilled craftsmen sitting at a workbench.

You have to look at these cars the way you look at jewelry.

Actually, I was referring to the Maybach not a Rolls, and while again I agree to a certain extent about companies like R-R finding it hard to replace highly skilled workers with younger workers willing to develop the same level of skill, I believe that it has more to do with these companies not willing to pay the hourly rates demanded young workers that have the potential to become fine craftsman.

There are plenty of young and middle aged skilled craftsman here in the U.S. that are qualified and skilled enough to do Rolls-Royce level of work (a trip down the aisles of the Pebble Beach show would confirm this), it is just that manufacturers are not willing to pay for those skills.

As an example of the cost of first rate wood working, refinishing and leather skills, a few ew years back I had a very well thought of fellow in the Washington, D.C. area give me a quote to repair (not refinish, but touch up) and replace leather insert panels in the top a large antique desk that had been used by my receptionist for many years. I didn't want it refinished but rather lightly refurbished along with some tightening and re-glueing of some loose joints ... really nothing major! The quote I got was $8000.00 for the work on the desk and $500. each way to pick up and deliver the piece to his workshop and redeliver to my home in Great Falls, a distance of about 25 miles each way. When I estimated the hours this would take, his estimated figured out to be about $350/hr for labor. This was 9 years ago. Needless to say I didn't take him up on his estimate, and have been living with a perfectly acceptable antique desk ever since. So this is the kind of skilled labor market that manufacturers of high quality luxury goods are faced with.

Also having known several Rolls and Bentley owners over the years, I can tell you for certain that should their Roller be involved in a shunt, they would be looking around for the cheapest place to get a repair (of which their are several around West Hollywood and Beverly Hills). There egos nor their pride would be hurt by "non-original" parts and workmanship. Interestingly, I had an office in Beverly Hills (on Wilshire Blvd. between Canon and Rodeo, and I can tell you that aside from the newly arrived "nickle rockets," that consumers in B.H. are very price conscious and the market that serves them is very competitive. A little appreciated fact is that the sales along Rodeo Drive are very good and you often pickup real bargains, like so many things surrounding the "industry" things aren't exactly as they seem. Very few know that many if not most of the homes in Beverly Hills are only partially furnished, most having sparsely furnish formal areas with only living quarters having the necessities. A far cry from the image "Architectural Digest" would have you believe!

Jesda
07-31-11, 11:06 PM
I hate Maybach. Its crap. Its ultra-refined high-end crap, but its crap. :)

JimmyH
07-31-11, 11:36 PM
I actually agree with Jesda's post.

However I look at jewelery like something stupidly extravagant and serving no purpose. Cars > jewelery.

that depends on what is between your legs

and while again I agree to a certain extent about companies like R-R finding it hard to replace highly skilled workers with younger workers willing to develop the same level of skill, I believe that it has more to do with these companies not willing to pay the hourly rates demanded young workers that have the potential to become fine craftsman.

I discovered recently that not all youngsters are without craft. I have a punch press in my shop that is almost 100 years old. It's been cobbled together, fixed, and bastardized quite a bit in its life. When the old timers could no longer squeeze life out of it, I came across these two guys in their early 20s looking for work repairing industrial machinery. I thought it would be entertaining just to see the look of bewilderment on their faces when presented with this dinosaur.

Not only were they NOT bewildered, within one working day, they had this press running better than I have ever seen it work in my 18 years at my company. I guess some folks just have inherent natural mechanical skill.

ThumperPup
08-01-11, 12:03 AM
well just like Orconn is putting about the Desk and how the very skilled personw as going to charge him 8k

well put it like this also
back in 99 so lets see 12 years ago when i was going to PA Cullinary Mom and dad asked me what i would like to see in the Kitchen since the house was going to be mine one day and i was going to do most of if not all the cooking when there because they order out all the time or go out all the time only thing dad ever makes is tomato soup and pasta or mom can make a can of tuna but thats it naw shes a good cook but just never had the time to
so anways

i went around to many places picked out all the things i wanted so no matter what the actualy fixtures appliances and evyering was going to come out to the same amount i knew that what it came down to was the labor who i had do it and how skilled they where

I remember i had 3 quests Home Depot with who ever they use kids between the ages of 17-22 and one forman for the job that was skilled but didnt really do much but supervise same thing with Lowes but home depot wanted 18k lowes wanted 21k and then a private Plummer a Flooring exspert a and a carpenter/ Electrican all different ppl and a few others i belive there total was going to come to 27k or just around there
if you have ever had a kitchen gutted to the bear walls and custom made you know this aint cheap
but still it comes down to who you want to do it
i ended up going with Lowes at the time i cant to say i would do it again cause some of the work was a .little shotty but i still have 10 years of scructural warranty and anywerhe from 2-15 years on the appliances just had them out to Replace the Iland stove and grill top they replaced it under warranty in April this yeaer 12 years old it lasted that long
some other things have lasted evne longer the custom cabinet fridge is just showing sighns of its being time to go only had 5 year warranty on that the dishwasher had to be repalced at 7 had 5 years on that
the floor did have to come up do to leak problems that happend they covered that under there insruance policy because of a fualty part that was about 7 years ago i think long story short you get what you pay for

OffThaHorseCEO
08-01-11, 12:15 AM
see some of you are touching on what im getting at and i think orconn is on the same page (unless im reading wrong)

you pay for the name, there may be a better craftsman out there who sits at a table and fixes your vehicle damage by hand, but if his checks arent signed by bentley rr etc then its doesnt count

also, its not like im talkin about joe-bobs shop on the corner of 5th and 3rd, im talkin about someone with a reputation, someone who does first class work just happens to not charge 24000 for a glorified mercedes fender

Jesda
08-01-11, 12:44 AM
Thats absolutely correct, but you pay for the privilege of knowing it was done by someone trained and employed at Goodwood.

Pedigree, heritage, etc.

OffThaHorseCEO
08-01-11, 01:05 AM
meh, screw that. even billionaires have better things to buy than heritage

Stingroo
08-01-11, 01:09 AM

I dare say, I agree. Imagine the tea and crumpets that could be purchased for $24,000!

ThumperPup
08-01-11, 01:53 AM
see some of you are touching on what im getting at and i think orconn is on the same page (unless im reading wrong)

you pay for the name, there may be a better craftsman out there who sits at a table and fixes your vehicle damage by hand, but if his checks arent signed by bentley rr etc then its doesnt count

also, its not like im talkin about joe-bobs shop on the corner of 5th and 3rd, im talkin about someone with a reputation, someone who does first class work just happens to not charge 24000 for a glorified mercedes fender

yeah kind of like your talking about how if you want a Microwave you can get a Black and Deck or you can get Whirlepool
Or coffe make you go for a Mr Coffee pot or a Keurig single serve Coffe maker
a mixer Black and decker of Kitchen aid

yeah i could spend 50 dollars on a Black and Deck Microwave but id rather spend 299 on a whirepool

ThumperPup
08-01-11, 01:58 AM
I dare say, I agree. Imagine the tea and crumpets that could be purchased for $24,000!

forget tea and krumpets

I go for brunch every sunday that i am in town to the Sheraton Suits On the river 31 dollars per person after tax and tip

I went to the Ritz Carlton for Brunch a few weeks ago just after my trip form NC erlier int he month
Got a Smaller Brunch Selection same qulity food but my maple syrup for my waffle came in a fancay bottle that said pure maple syrup with the ritz carlton logo on it and fancy talking like the server would say may i pelase take your plate instead of at the usualy brunch spot they say are you fisniehd with this plate
well the Ritz Carlton Charges came to 60 per person after tax tip and parking valet
did i enjoy it no it wasnt worth it to me brunch was better at the 31 dollar spot but im paying for the name at the rtiz

Jesda
08-01-11, 02:14 AM

Depends.

Oil arabs love this stuff.
The Warren Buffet types don't.

Aron9000
08-01-11, 02:59 AM
^ Wouldn't suprise me one bit if Ferrari, Lambo, and Rolls sold more cars in the middle east than the USA.

Stingroo
08-01-11, 05:09 AM
Let's not forget Audi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqJDuZIcQ34&feature=related

brandondeleo
08-01-11, 05:14 AM
LMFAO!!! ^^^ :histeric: Love it!

Sa oodis in Au oodis... Lol.

brandondeleo
08-01-11, 05:16 AM
Totally putting that on Facebook.

Stingroo
08-01-11, 05:31 AM
Dude's hilarious. I'm also quite fond of The Falafel Song, Hey There Khlailah, The Hummus Rap and The Tabbouleh Song.

brandondeleo
08-01-11, 05:38 AM
"Oh, it's how you cook the meat..." haha

ThumperPup
08-01-11, 04:07 PM
Let's not forget Audi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqJDuZIcQ34&feature=related

OMFG LMFAO i just spilled my beer lol

orconn
08-01-11, 04:50 PM
Actually Sa-oodis in Ah-oodis makes perfect sense; they are the only one's who can afford to keep them running!

Back in the "good old days" the largest market for Rolls, Ferrari and Lamborghinis was Switzerland, still may be for all I know!

ThumperPup
08-01-11, 05:42 PM
I read somewhere a few months ago the Lambo is Anticsipating that China will be taking a step over the U.S in having a larger market in China than in the U.S so im guessing that its not switzerland anymore

also I think Rolce and ferrari both said that china is 3rd largest market for them

orconn
08-01-11, 06:31 PM
I read somewhere a few months ago the Lambo is Anticipating that China will be taking a step over the U.S in having a larger market in China than in the U.S so I'm guessing that its not Switzerland anymore

also I think Rolce and ferrari both said that china is 3rd largest market for them

Not at all surprising, the Far Eastern Market in general is very "logo conscious"