: Question about fuel for my 2011 Escalade

turbo38v6
07-30-11, 12:09 AM
Hi all,

Just picked up a brand new 2011 Escalade Luxury. Obviously love this car and see how much more useful it is than its competitors.

Want to know what octane fuel people are using in their Escalades. I see some old posts from owners with 2008s and am curious about what people are putting in the 2010s and 2011s. Dealer told me (after the sale was made and I signed papers) that absolutely can put 87 octane in this vehicle with no issues. I will treat this vehicle well and don't plan to drive it like an a55hole.

-Lloyd

Punmax
07-30-11, 02:23 AM
I have 130K on my '07, and only used 87 octane. No issues whatsoever.

MrHolland
07-30-11, 03:25 AM
Read your manual sir, youll find the recommendations in there. I have no reason not to use what is recommended therefor I do. This has been a long standing debate in here. You find many many different answers.

d_v_o_1
07-30-11, 10:38 AM
I always use premium
I guess I look at as......I bought a luxury vehicle so I might as well treat it like one. This certainly has been a long standing debate tho! To each their own tho, just my 2cents.

jeremyt1998
08-01-11, 12:06 AM
I used 87 octane for a while and noticed a little sluggishness. I ran a tank of 93 and the sluggishness went away. Every three tanks of 87 I put in 93. I have read that 93 causes more carbon buildup.

hcvone
08-01-11, 07:35 AM
Lets see a 400 plus hp engine, an owners manual that calls for 91 octane minimum, sure you can run lower octane like 87 and it will run because it has knock sensors that retard the timing, but if you want to give up that power you should have saved your money and got a 5.3 Tahoe. :)

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-01-11, 12:38 PM
turbo38v6,

If the vehicle has the 6.2L V8 engine (which yours does considering you have a 2011 with the Luxury trim level), use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. You can also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but the vehicle's acceleration could be slightly reduced, and a slight audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock, might be heard. If the octane is less than 87, you might notice a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you could damage the engine. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, the engine needs service. This information was taken right out of your owner’s manual.

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

hannity
08-01-11, 01:16 PM
You are supposed to use 91 or higher in this engine. Using a lower grade may affect performance. However if you use a lower grade gas, I doubt that you will be able to hear the spark knock over the piston slap.

surfer
08-01-11, 03:45 PM
Another way to look at it is financially. A twenty cent difference in price between regular and premium is about 5%, depending on where you live ( I live in SoCal ). If you get a combined city/highway MPG of say, 16 MPG, then 5% greater fuel economy would equal .8 MPG. In my 2008 EXT, I get about 1.3 MPG more using premium, so it's a no brainer for me. I also get the added benefit of more horsepower, less sluggishness, and a little comfort in knowing I am using the manufacturer recommended grade of fuel.

I have never read, heard or otherwise seen any mention of excess cabon build up using 91 octane fuel or higher on a engine designed to burn it, as the above poster suggests, (see post #5) and would be interested in seeing any data that supports that claim

MrSplenda
08-01-11, 04:53 PM
What's your VIN#? I ask, because if I ever fall on hard times I may have to buy a used Escalade. I don't want to buy yours, because you are entertaining the idea of putting gas that isn't recommended for the vehicle.

Why do so many people doubt the manufacturers recommendations to save pennies on a $70,000 truck?

turbo38v6
08-02-11, 01:05 AM
Great feedback all. I only asked because of how adamant the dealer was that 87 would work (again, stressing after the deal was made and papers were signed). I filled up today with 93 and my view is the same, for the difference in price between 93 and 87, why take the chance? However, if I got feedback here that 87 all day long, I might have reconsidered.

I have a Buick Grand National so I'm full aware of engine knocking and low octane. :-)

Thanks again all, going 93 here on out.

-Lloyd