: oil life %??

daddie2k3
07-29-11, 10:00 PM
what is the recommended percentage for oil change on the 2011s with full syn oil....my srx is right at 3k miles and i just checked oil life and it says 23%

mm9351
07-29-11, 10:32 PM
You'll need to burn down your oil life to 15% before Cadillac Premium Care maintenance kicks in. That is equivalent to around 5000 miles, but based +/- on your driving habits. Your oil changes are covered in full for 4 years or until you clock 50K miles. Don't bother asking the dealer to change the oil before then, unless you want to pay $$ out of pocket.

sube5186
07-29-11, 10:51 PM
Your oil life gauge is NOT based solely on mileage like older cars. It's based on engine revolutions, engine temperature, etc. Think about this for a minute. If driver "A" drives 3,000 miles in stop-and-go traffic and driver "B" drives 3,000 mile on mostly highways, driver "A" is putting much more wear and tear on his engine because of all of the time he spends stopped but idling. The oil life system is a much more accurate method for measuring oil wear. Forget everything you know about mileage and oil changes. This is a whole new era.

Sube

2011_SRX
07-30-11, 01:25 AM
"Change Oil Soon" appeared on the instrument cluster when percentage hit 5% around 4,900 miles. I drive ninety percent city and ten percent interstate. The percentage was 4% the day I drove to the dealer for the free oil change. At some point I believe the message changes to "Change Oil Now".

SRXing
07-30-11, 03:47 AM
5% as i was told by the dealer!!!

Smokin' SRX
07-31-11, 12:49 AM
Dup.

Smokin' SRX
07-31-11, 12:51 AM
The OLM system cannot tell if you're using full synthetic or castoroil! It is based on eng revolutions, running temps, start/stop frequency, speeds, and of course miles driven. So a better oil insures a lot of life left in the oil when you change it. GM now will put in a good syn-blend oil called Dexos, when you arrive for your Free oil changes staring now! Should be fine, but I personally like full syntec as an insurance policy. Use only oils rated "Dexos" on the container to be covered under warranty, if you DIY.

My Dealer says do oil changes @ 10-15% .......

SS

dkozloski
07-31-11, 04:33 AM
The factory service manual says to run the OLM to zero and then you have two gas tank fill-ups to get the oil changed.

Smokin' SRX
07-31-11, 11:25 AM
Hmm... Perhaps that is "Absolute Zero" mark? The Owners Manual says "wait for Change Oil Soon" message then do it "within 600 miles" . Guess it's like how low do you drop before you pull the rip-chord. LOL I wouldn't personally go to zero unless using full syntec oil (dexos rated of course). Personal choice. But yes, as many have stated, Dealer will not do it under the Free Maint, in most cases, above the 15% mark, unless ya tell them your going a long trip maybe......

The eternal debate continues.

SS

stevec5375
07-31-11, 11:32 AM
Speaking of oil life percentage...

My 6/28/2011 OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics Report said I had 55% oil life remaining. Then 2-3 weeks ago I had the car in the shop and got the transmission reprogrammed and the Nav programming updated fixed to correct the State not remaining static after an RAP expiration. As of today, my oil life percentage says 89%. Meesa thinks that somebody screwed something up. I drive so little that even if I had accidentally pushed the reset button, there is no way I would have 11% oil life usage in 2 weeks time.

Smokin' SRX
07-31-11, 11:44 AM
Sounds like they accidentally reset the OLM system to some arbitrary level. Reprogramming modules can affect other systems at times. I'm sure you know that better than me. Had my old Enclave re-programmed once (another tranny shift upgrade) and computer started giving me readouts of 39MPG on the highway! Unfortunately, speedo was way off too. Quick reset at the Dealer and all was well again.
Hope the Nav is OK finally.

SS

stevec5375
07-31-11, 11:50 AM
Sounds like they accidentally reset the OLM system to some arbitrary level. Reprogramming modules can affect other systems at times. I'm sure you know that better than me. Had my old Enclave re-programmed once (another tranny shift upgrade) and computer started giving me readouts of 39MPG on the highway! Unfortunately, speedo was way off too. Quick reset at the Dealer and all was well again.
Hope the Nav is OK finally.

SS

The Nav finally saves the State last entered as it should and I no longer get that annoying warning screen everytime I bring up the Nav.

Smokin' SRX
08-01-11, 09:44 AM
good news at last! We still love ours. Got 6,500 miles and no problems .........

SS