: Factory flaw rear bumper near wheel well?

turbol15
07-29-11, 08:09 PM
On both sides of rear wheel opening the plastic portion seems to have 3 dings on both sides of the plastic bumper. Anyone else have this ?

cbloveday
07-29-11, 08:26 PM
pictures? I do not seem to have what you describe.

turbol15
07-29-11, 08:32 PM
I can shoot some tomorrow but just noticed that if you kneel down facing the driver side rear wheel where the metal wheel opening runs into the plastic rear bumper I have 3 imperfections On both driver and passenger sides

cbloveday
07-29-11, 11:26 PM
I will look at mine. Pictures will help if they can be photographed.

turbol15
07-30-11, 01:14 PM
Detail guy said maybe when they were transporting the vehicle. Do I take it up to the dealer? Where do I even begin this mess. Scratching my head to why I never saw this before

cbloveday
07-30-11, 01:17 PM
Pictures?

If you post a photo, I can give you my thoughts.

Dealer is first recourse.

Cadillac Tony
07-30-11, 02:17 PM
It's not these little round dimples you're seeing, is it? If so, that's a factory spot weld where the inner and outer fender panel are stamped together, and present on every car.

turbol15
07-30-11, 03:22 PM
well i had the car in the dealer to replace a diff housing gasket about a month ago. took the car and put it in the garage. havent driven it since i went upstate thats when i noticed the dimples on the rear bumper cover on the passenger and driver sides same exact spot. it had to have been done when they were taken out the rear end. maybe they needed to strap it down. in any event there is i assume going to be a nasty fight on my hands

cbloveday
07-30-11, 03:44 PM
I hope they take care of it in a mutally satisfactory way.

turbol15
07-30-11, 03:57 PM
I feel sick to my stomach over this shit. I know they are going to fight me tooth and nail Over this. It is exactly a month I had the rear taken out. Does anyone know if they use straps to secure the body while the rear comes out?

hulksdaddy
07-30-11, 05:13 PM
Need pics

turbol15
07-30-11, 06:24 PM
How do I upload from my iPhone?

The Tony Show
07-30-11, 06:36 PM
Upload them to an external host like photobucket and link to them, or sync your photos to a PC and use the "attach images" option.

turbol15
07-30-11, 08:43 PM
thank you

Gary Wells
07-31-11, 03:43 PM
It's not these little round dimples you're seeing, is it? If so, that's a factory spot weld where the inner and outer fender panel are stamped together, and present on every car.

Tony:
Not to question your judgement, but I don't believe that to be a correct / current assembly method / procedure. I have an '09 CTS-V, and on my car, the narrow lip is hidden and is behind whatever is in front of it, and where you show spot welds, mine has some type of what appears to be a plastic fastening device holding the 2 pieces together.

Cadillac Tony
07-31-11, 05:41 PM
That's the front of the wheel well Gary, not the rear. The description of where the marks are was vague, and identical marks on both sides just made me wonder if he was referring to these.

To answer the OP's question, no, there is no "strap" used when the rear is removed. Car goes on a lift and the rear gets taken out from below.

Gary Wells
07-31-11, 07:49 PM
That's the front of the wheel well Gary, not the rear. The description of where the marks are was vague, and identical marks on both sides just made me wonder if he was referring to these.

To answer the OP's question, no, there is no "strap" used when the rear is removed. Car goes on a lift and the rear gets taken out from below.

That's what I was referring to, Tony, was the front of the rear wheel well opening. My factory weld beads are somewhat smaller than those pictured, & mine does not have that lip sticking out.
Many thanks for the clarification though.

turbol15
07-31-11, 07:55 PM
having a hard time with pics. i will try to describe best as i can. when looking at the rear wheels either side if you run your hand along the wheel well opening it runs into the plastic rear bumper. about an inch or so down from where the two meet there are a couple of dimples on exactly the same side. if you were looking down on either the right or left side along the wheel well you can see it.

Cub Cadet
07-31-11, 08:46 PM
Probably marks from the production tooling.

cbloveday
07-31-11, 10:55 PM
I have the small dimples described. I never noticed them to be as a defect. Perhaps silver is more forgiving.
Looks like they were from stamping as mentioned earlier.

Cadillac Tony
08-01-11, 09:42 AM
That's what I was referring to, Tony, was the front of the rear wheel well opening. My factory weld beads are somewhat smaller than those pictured, & mine does not have that lip sticking out.
Many thanks for the clarification though.

No problem. The picture I posted was from an 08 CTS, and didn't notice when I snapped it that the plastic liner that goes over the "seam" at the edge of the panel was tucked behind it. Normally you wouldn't see the edge of the panel, but the dimples would still be there.

After re-reading his posts it sounds like he's talking about a flaw in the plastic anyway, so I guess the dimples in the front aren't relevant.

turbol15
08-01-11, 03:39 PM
i feel better now. thought it was done by the dealer. funny i never saw before

Cadillac Tony
08-01-11, 03:49 PM
So it was the little round impressions you were talking about?

When you said "3 marks on both sides", those little dimples were the first thing that popped into my head. Glad I could help. :thumbsup:

turbol15
08-02-11, 05:47 AM
no, its on the outside of the plastic bumper. need to look down at the very beginning of the rear bumper cover, where the rear wheels are. its on both sides. this to may be a stamping issue not sure

The Tony Show
08-02-11, 08:40 AM
Post a picture or no one can help.