: any tips for drag racing tongiht

dvandentop
07-29-11, 06:33 PM
what psi do the ps2 tires like??

also what is a good launch rpm for the manual v??
thanks

cbloveday
07-29-11, 06:50 PM
D,

I would help but I do not run the PS2s nor do I have a manual. TTT for some help from the manual guys who run PS2s

dvandentop
07-29-11, 06:51 PM
i am sure it will suck like the track prep usually does at this track but there is a street legal nigth so want to eat some competition hopefully!

Torxila
07-29-11, 07:43 PM
Get to track early, allow for 30-45 min cool down. Buy a bag of ice for top of blower. (Leave engine cover at home or in trunk). 20psi in rears, NO water REAL burnout, 3200 clutch release (just let foot off pedal over a 1 second period) do not just side step off the clutch pedal. Pedal to the metal gradual, not just smash it to the floor as clutch is released. It's a very fine line I know, but practice a lot. IF ALL is done right you should be able to no-lift-shift into 2nd etc.

Don't do hot laps let the beast cool at least 1/2 hr between runs. Stay safe, have fun, relax and let us know how you do.

George

mrl859
07-30-11, 10:09 AM
Get to track early, allow for 30-45 min cool down. Buy a bag of ice for top of blower. (Leave engine cover at home or in trunk). 20psi in rears, NO water REAL burnout, 3200 clutch release (just let foot off pedal over a 1 second period) do not just side step off the clutch pedal. Pedal to the metal gradual, not just smash it to the floor as clutch is released. It's a very fine line I know, but practice a lot. IF ALL is done right you should be able to no-lift-shift into 2nd etc.

Don't do hot laps let the beast cool at least 1/2 hr between runs. Stay safe, have fun, relax and let us know how you do.

GeorgeDoes the 20 psi really make a difference? Is it okay to drive to and from the track on the freeway at 20 psi?

JOEYCTS-V
07-30-11, 10:23 AM
How'd it go?

I ran stock tire pressure with the stock PS2's.

dvandentop
07-30-11, 10:25 AM
traction was horrible best i could get is a 13.06 @ 112

it was very humid out and was hot lapping the car since the piece of crap stock battery died on me in the pit lane, so wanted to keep running but couldnt turn the car off in fear of it not starting again

made 19 passes LOL

friend with silver sedan also cam and he ran a 12.9 @110

JOEYCTS-V
07-30-11, 10:28 AM
What were your 60 ft. times?

dvandentop
07-30-11, 10:29 AM
What were your 60 ft. times?

horrible 2.2- 2.4

i dont think the track put any traction compound down for this street legal drags night

aburd
07-30-11, 10:40 AM
tough night. i know you manual guys love the stick, but for me id rather put it in gear and floor it. wait for cooler weather and you will be suprised, i dont even run in the summer anymore.

burd

M5eater
07-30-11, 10:44 AM
Does the 20 psi really make a difference? Is it okay to drive to and from the track on the freeway at 20 psi?

just let it out at the track, you have an air compressor in the truck with the gel canister to refill when you go home if you don't have a deticated one, and the PS2's like to be warm, I didn't do any burnouts and I managed a single 12.63 pass. You also have to be very carefull about easing the power, the trans in stock TCM form will act weird and downshift when it's not supposed to. Twoard the end of the night I was in the 13s when I started to try to ease it out instead of just planting it. Of course I've only had limited 1/4 experience anyway.

don't forget painter's tape!

mrl859
07-31-11, 04:04 AM
don't forget painter's tape!For what?

roarkb
07-31-11, 07:53 AM
horrible 2.2- 2.4

i dont think the track put any traction compound down for this street legal drags night

Don't give up, the 6m V is a beast to launch without lighting up the tires. I have been working on the 60ft times and have gotten down below 2 a few times. It really pays off in the E.T. I remain convinced that one of us 6m drivers will learn to launch this car and set and new low E.T. for the overall V owners. It will take some good driving in those first few hundred feet. Also have to drive around the burnout area as just a little water destroys and traction you might be able to get.

I am running on a 1/8 mile track and have hit a few sub 8 second runs, these would equate to about a 12.5 second 1/4 run. The car is really coming on strong at the end, unfortunately I need to shift just before the finish line, so timing is not totally optimal for the 1/8. I had switched to the Hankooks and they just don't hook up as good as the PS2. I have not gotten below 8.4 sec with the Hankooks. But they are teaching me how to feather the throttle. Fortunately, I have a new set of PS2 waiting for the Hankooks to expire. Soon as we see how the M/T work with the stock rims, I will likely jump in with a set of those.

dvandentop
07-31-11, 10:58 AM
what sucks is at our track there is no way to drive around the burnout box :(

mrl859
07-31-11, 01:10 PM
I am running on a 1/8 mile track and have hit a few sub 8 second runsIs your car stock? I'm a lousy drag racer, but the best I got was still a 8.75 in the 1/8th. Sub 8 seconds is pretty dang quick, imo.

M5eater
07-31-11, 04:58 PM
For what?

protecting the paint. Next time I go i'm throwing some on the rear bumper arches.

SPEED74V
08-01-11, 12:52 AM
It was a fun night - even though the traction was not good with the non-track prep. Not too many cars so we only waited probably 5 -10 minutes between runs. I have to say that even with hot lapping, it was very consistent times. I love this car and can't wait to get back for some cooler weather. I'm itching to hit the road track tho:D

mannyz
08-01-11, 03:28 AM
I've had my ups and downs when it comes to launching the manual. Best I've gotten was 2.114 60ft. Im going to the strip this saturday for the first time in a while now that my car is running right so we'll see my times. I feel like I know the car much better so we'll see :)

roarkb
08-01-11, 05:34 AM
Is your car stock? I'm a lousy drag racer, but the best I got was still a 8.75 in the 1/8th. Sub 8 seconds is pretty dang quick, imo.

Car is totally stock. I have purchased KPE air intake but have not installed. I have had lots of practice launching, and I still suck at it.

Most of my early runs were in the mid to high 8 sec range and sometimes they still are if I light up the tires or if I am hot lapping. However, every once in a while I launch the car somewhat reasonable. Seems that for every .1 I save in the 60ft time it saves me about .2 on the overall E.T. I am sure somewhere there is a formula for that would be close to that ratio. It is hard for me to get a Sub 2sec 60ft time, but occasionally I get a reasonable launch. The technique I have settled in on is: I clean the tires with a short DRY burnout. Then try to launch just above 3000 rpm. I do not sidestep the clutch but roll off it while rolling on the gas. RPM's below 3000 have resulted in bogging. The car is so quick that you really have to pay attention to the 1-2 shift not to redline(shutoff) and lose precious time. I do use the nolift shift feature.

What is really interesting, is that I will end up beside some really mean looking Camaro or Mustang. The beat me out of the hole with their slicks and traction control devices, but I am closing on them quickly or will even pass them before we get to the end of the track. When this happens they will follow you to the pits to see what mods you have. I raise the hood and show them a totally stock caddie.

What we really need for these cars is a launch control to help with the wheel spin and thus the 60ft times. I keep emailing Lingenfelter (they had one for the previous V) to ask them to develop one. No luck.

I am looking forward to repeating this process with the MT street slicks.

Soon the Mods will start.