Cadillac Owners Forum banner

92 Brougham Window Motor Replacement

11K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  buffalodiesel 
#1 ·
I am determined to replace my driver's side window motor without taking the car to a garage....

'92 RWD Brougham d'Elegance. I have taken the door panel apart without much trouble. The Haynes manual says something about drilling 3 holes into the inner door because the window motor bolts are not accessible. I am not sure where to drill. The manual says some models have 3 small dimples to mark the locations which I do not see. Other models require a "template" which has to be attached to the door in order to locate the drilling sites. I ordered a new window motor this afternoon at NAPA and the guy at the counter didn't seem to have a clue what I was talking about.

Any info would be much appreciated!!!

#3 ·
They look like rivet heads with about 1/4 inch of thread sticking out of the middle on the side that faces the interior of the car. There is no nut on the end. I reached around on the inside through one of the access holes in the door and I do not feel a nut or bolt head that I would be able to get a wrench on once inside. The inside part seems to be flat.

#5 ·
There will be three rivets holding the motor on I believe. I just did this with my 91. the new motor will have new nuts and bolts like Csbuckn said. The hardest part getting the motor out after you drill out the rivets. also make sure to grease the belt/track with disc brake grease. or something non silicone based.

#6 ·
Got the new motor today from NAPA complete with nuts and bolts. I can see the 3 rivets that you mentioned mjs182004. I'm planning to start working on it later tonight when it cools down a bit. We've got our 6th heat wave here in Delaware now....it's about 100 degrees. I will hopefully be less likely to loose my temper and set fire to my old gal once it cools down to about 80 in my garage :) Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep you posted!

#9 ·
Mission accomplished! Window motor is in, working, and I got the door panels all put back together with no leftover parts :) If anyone else is considering tackling a window motor, I would say go for it. The job was not particularly difficult, just tedious at times. If you are shopping for a window motor I would suggest NAPA for the best price, I paid 33 dollars for it. AutoZone wanted 49.99 for the same thing. Thanks again to mjs182004 and csbuckn!

#10 ·
I paid $26 on Ebay for two. Should have asked me first :yup: It just sucks sometimes when you have to wait for shipping if it takes more than two days.

I had a spare for whomever wants to pay for shipping...presuming they didn't change them between '87 and '92.

No worries, I'll probably attach it to some kind of animatronic, like all the other motors in my garage.

#12 ·
Did you figure it out? I'm having the same issue now. Got everything disassembled and the rivets drilled out but cant free the motor from the metai rail that the belt rides in. Any help appreciated.

#15 · (Edited)
Edit: figured it out. There are a total of 6 rivets you need to drill out, not 3. 3 big ones to free the entire mechanism from the door frame and then 3 more small ones, (one of which pictured above, far right), to free the motor from the window regulator which is the yellow plastic piece. Everything is put back together and working as intended. Now that I know exactly what is involved, I'd say wouldn't take more than an hour or 2. Anyone needing further help or instruction feel free to PM me.

#16 ·
Hello,
I also have a 92 brougham.. but only about 13,000 miles... driver side window seems to lost its juice.... I am afraid to tackle it... that is removing the door.. Would appreciate any pointers on how to replace it without damaging anything.. Not a mechanic but have time on my hands. Where does one start? need any special tools to do it correctly...? Mmight need a motor replacement.. not sure... window goes up partially then i hear a groown... then it stops... I turn off power wait then it goes up a ways ...etc about 4 times it finally closes? was thinking it might be the switch.. but now I think it might be the motor....

I am determined to replace my driver's side window motor without taking the car to a garage....

'92 RWD Brougham d'Elegance. I have taken the door panel apart without much trouble. The Haynes manual says something about drilling 3 holes into the inner door because the window motor bolts are not accessible. I am not sure where to drill. The manual says some models have 3 small dimples to mark the locations which I do not see. Other models require a "template" which has to be attached to the door in order to locate the drilling sites. I ordered a new window motor this afternoon at NAPA and the guy at the counter didn't seem to have a clue what I was talking about.

Any info would be much appreciated!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.