: XM radio deals?

LFTW8S
07-29-11, 10:54 AM
My 3 month free sub. is ending. Anyone score a deal with XM other than standard rates? Details?

Teutonaddict
07-29-11, 11:04 AM
Try searching the entire site, as XM is not CTS-V specific. They seem to have had a special $77/year (tunes only) offering off and on for the last several years, although now it's something like $86/year with the added royalty fees. Basically, I tried getting it without success and had to let my membership lapse. Then I was able to get it and now have that arrangement on my V2 and wife's ESV. Bottom line, it's worth a little bit if persistence and you can get a much more attractive deal. I hate paying retail for ANYTHING.

JimmyH
07-29-11, 12:07 PM
Let it run out. Within a few weeks you will get the $77 letter in the mail.
I bought it for a year, and recently it was about to expire. I did not want to keep it anymore, so I called to cancel. They immediately offered the $77/yr. I declined and they offered me 5 months for $25.

baabootoo
07-29-11, 02:46 PM
Try searching the entire site, as XM is not CTS-V specific. They seem to have had a special $77/year (tunes only) offering off and on for the last several years, although now it's something like $86/year with the added royalty fees. Basically, I tried getting it without success and had to let my membership lapse. Then I was able to get it and now have that arrangement on my V2 and wife's ESV. Bottom line, it's worth a little bit if persistence and you can get a much more attractive deal. I hate paying retail for ANYTHING.

You sound just like me! :)

jft69z
07-29-11, 04:06 PM
I've done both the $77/ year & the 5 month/ $20 deals on 3 of my vehicles. You can still get the deals while your subscription is current. The trick is you have to mention a couple of key phrases. You have to say it costs too much, and the other is you want to cancel because it costs too much. If they give you crap, either ask for a supervisor or hang up & try again later. I don't think anybody has ever payed full price for XM, have they?

A lot of people also ask for an invoice & pay by check. If they get your credit card they will try to automatically renew you at the full price after the year (or 5 month) deal is up. If you keep track of those things, the CC is no big deal otherwise opt for the invoice/pay by check route.

Mike02z
07-29-11, 06:37 PM
I have paid 77 per year for 5 years. I just call before my renewal date and tell them I paid 77 last year and that is all it is worth to me and if they cannot give me the same deal please cancel my service. Only once did I need to call back and that was because I insisted on getting the Traffic with the 77 per month when I picked up the V. On my second call I got transferred to "customer retention" and I told them I wanted the traffic included for the 77 or they could drop me. They agreed within 2 seconds. Also, I tell them I don't have credit cards so they bill me. They say I could save an additional 10 bucks by using a credit card but to me that is not worth it. If you don't do that they will automatically charge your card 149 at the next renewal. If you cancel the card they will send a collection agency after you. It happened to a friend of mine last year. Their business practices boarder on criminal in my mind but I do like the having Sat radio since I do a lot of long trips over multiple states.

Playdrv4me
07-30-11, 03:48 AM
The 5 months for 20 is no longer available because everyone kept asking for it (it's technically better than the 1 year for 77 but you have to do a little more work twice a year). So when I threatened to cancel, they told me "oh wait, we have 5 months for 25 now". That's on my primary radio, then there's my second radio which was put on some other plan. Basically both of them all the way through December cost me some pittance. After a couple of years I may finally just let them charge the regular rates, as I'd like for some of my favorite hosts to actually continue to be paid... (Dale Sommers, Tim Ridley on Road Dog etc).

I don't know how anyone uses XM for music though, it's absolutely awful.

brandondeleo
07-30-11, 04:22 AM
I love the convenience of satellite radio, but the sound quality is horrible even when you have perfect reception. Fine for the everyday commuter and people who do not really appreciate sound quality, but for people like me, it will never work. Lol

josney
07-30-11, 04:18 PM
i have gotten some kind of deal for the about 3 years now. CANCEL is the key word.

JimmyH
07-30-11, 08:39 PM
I have paid 77 per year for 5 years. I just call before my renewal date and tell them I paid 77 last year and that is all it is worth to me and if they cannot give me the same deal please cancel my service. Only once did I need to call back and that was because I insisted on getting the Traffic with the 77 per month when I picked up the V. On my second call I got transferred to "customer retention" and I told them I wanted the traffic included for the 77 or they could drop me. They agreed within 2 seconds. Also, I tell them I don't have credit cards so they bill me. They say I could save an additional 10 bucks by using a credit card but to me that is not worth it. If you don't do that they will automatically charge your card 149 at the next renewal. If you cancel the card they will send a collection agency after you. It happened to a friend of mine last year. Their business practices boarder on criminal in my mind but I do like the having Sat radio since I do a lot of long trips over multiple states.

All you have to do is call to cancel before they automatically renew you. They won't charge your card for next year if you cancel before the service expires.

Playdrv4me
07-30-11, 10:32 PM
I love the convenience of satellite radio, but the sound quality is horrible even when you have perfect reception. Fine for the everyday commuter and people who do not really appreciate sound quality, but for people like me, it will never work. Lol

Well, the sound "quality" doesn't really vary with reception, you either have signal or you don't pretty much. That said, the compression on most of the music channels is downright disastrous. I swear some channels sound like they're being transmitted at as little as 96khz. Even Watercolors Jazz, which is supposedly one of the least compressed channels is just marginal at best. Only when other people are in the car does my XM ever get used for anything but News and Entertainment. And that's OK, because all my shows are really important to me on long trips (Coast To Coast AM, Road Dog Trucking, The Tech Guy, Fox News Radio, CNN... etc etc etc).

Rolex
07-31-11, 11:42 PM
Hi :wave:

I'm just hear to troll this thread because I wouldn't use XM radio of they were giving it away free.

Me PAY for radio that has commercials, that has abysmal sound quality, that has super shady billing practices, and that has non-existant-English-as-a-second-language outsourced customer service? I'll pass.

JimmyH
08-01-11, 12:49 PM
HD radio ftw

dkozloski
08-01-11, 01:23 PM
HD radio is a rip-off. All it does is allow the broadcaster to jam more channels into the same RF spectrum with no increase in quality. You're better off with a GF that can play the banjo and sings.

JimmyH
08-01-11, 01:27 PM
I had HD radio, briefly. It would drop back to regular FM sometimes, but when it was on, it was ON. It was like listening to a CD.

dkozloski
08-01-11, 02:03 PM
HD radio is MP3's crammed onto a digital piggyback ride on the old analog stations. It looks like it's going to be about as viable as AM stereo. Remember that?

JimmyH
08-01-11, 03:28 PM
I played HD back to back with both my ipod and a CD. The HD sounded almost as good as the CD, and significantly better the 256 mp4 on my ipod.

I don't know about AM stereo, but I did listen to HD AM on this radio, and it did indeed sound as good as FM stations.
Perhaps Alaska needs better HD broadcasters. The stations I listened to here in Chicago sounded excellent. The only issue was when the signal was weak, it drop down from HD to regular FM. Which only happened in heavily forested areas, and next to power lines out in the boonies where I live.

dkozloski
08-01-11, 10:19 PM
As far as I know there is no HD radio in Alaska. AM radio is all talk radio.