: Pick me a pad thread # 403

M5eater
07-28-11, 09:20 PM
so after spending ~ an hour looking at people's opinions on the cmax/gold AZ, HP and Hawk Ceramic pads, I'm left without a final choice. Aside from the stock pads dusting like it's going out of style, they also like to leave a lot of crud on the rotors when you work them(which I don't like..), my last fun-ride took a week to wear-off the surface.

As much as I i like to think of myself as a boy-racer, truthfully most of the time in the V is spent doing the speed limit, except maybe the occasional dip from 120+ back to 60 on an empty stretch of road. I've gotten over the snob factor with the cheap-as-dirt Cmax pads. So, the question here is; are either of the Hawks worth the 200% premium over the Cmax pads? The Cmax pads are so cheap it some real DTC's for the track less painful.

DoingOK
07-28-11, 09:32 PM
I have Hawk ceramics and would buy them again in a heartbeat. Virtually zero dusting. I live close by.....check it out if you want.

M5eater
07-28-11, 09:38 PM
I have Hawk ceramics and would buy them again in a heartbeat. Virtually zero dusting. I live close by.....check it out if you want.
how close? Meet up @ Jenroes this next saturday close(assuming mine is back from Colonial) or ''wtf is that'' far away?

DoingOK
07-28-11, 10:14 PM
I've been to Jenros quite a bit. I'll probably go by there if I get the plugs changed out. I have my stock black wheels back on until my updated Forgelines get completed. I live in Smithfield.

M5eater
07-29-11, 04:07 PM
I've been to Jenros quite a bit. I'll probably go by there if I get the plugs changed out. I have my stock black wheels back on until my updated Forgelines get completed. I live in Smithfield.

so you probally go to the lions meet @ the race building on fridays then?

Teutonaddict
07-29-11, 06:06 PM
I just bought a set of Hawk Ceramics on eBay for $130/front. Lowest retail I'd seen was about $150/pr.
Prior to that I'd tried the Centric Posi-Quiet (made my Stop-Tech) for under $85/all four corners. They indeed reduced brake dust by several orders of magnitude--which was my primary reason for the switch. No noise at all with proper bedding.

While my stopping distances are no worse than stock, the new pads do require more pedal pressure than stock. So from a purely pedal feel perspective, I'm going to give the Hawk Ceramics a shot. But I've not installed them just yet, so I'll withhold my vote until they're on the car.

OE pads while strong performers, simply dust too much for me. I'm confident a less dust solution without any performance penalty exists in the aftermarket.