: Track day prep question

jb_bgg
07-28-11, 02:55 PM
Two day HPDE this weekend in Fontana with a bone stock 09 manual; should I change to a 160 degree thermostat or leave it stock? If swapped, any issues leaving it for DD I should keep in mind?

Thanks!

thebigjimsho
07-28-11, 05:36 PM
I've run 3 track days in my '09, 2 being extremely hot and 1 with track pads and tires so I was really wringing it out. I'm running a stock thermostat and all is well...

garfin
07-28-11, 06:33 PM
I've run 3 track days in my '09, 2 being extremely hot and 1 with track pads and tires so I was really wringing it out. I'm running a stock thermostat and all is well...

Ditto. The temp gauge in my bone stock '10 manual doesn't budge from the usual normal everyday reading when I'm on the track during a 20 - 25 minute session.

Best regards,

Elie

Low_ET
07-28-11, 07:42 PM
Ditto. The temp gauge in my bone stock '10 manual doesn't budge from the usual normal everyday reading when I'm on the track during a 20 - 25 minute session.

Best regards,

Elie

I have 7 track days with my stock thermostat. I agree with the previous two posts. The car never got hotter than normal around town driving. I tracked the V in 95-degree temperatures here in Florida and car didn't heat up.

smackdownCTSV
07-28-11, 10:14 PM
What temperature?

baabootoo
07-29-11, 12:13 AM
I guess the consensus is to drive it stock, get to know it, then modify if necessary.

jb_bgg
07-29-11, 12:50 AM
Appreciate all the feedback; thank you, gentlemen. While I was doing a refresh on the coolant I thought perhaps it may be a good idea, but given you all have had no temp issues I'll leave that as is. I did do stainless brake lines (and now understand why Goodridge doesn't offer a production versrion for 09), Hawk HPS pads and a brake fluid flush and replace with some high temp fluid. Now 30K plus miles figured it wouldn't hurt to do trans and rear fluid replacement and new Gates green belts while I was at it.

garfin
07-29-11, 08:38 AM
What temperature?

My needle sits on the 1st hashmark below the halfway point on the gauge. Mine is metric and the halfway point is 105 degrees C, so the reading is 87.5 degrees Celsius. The equivalent position of the needle on the gauge in U.S. vehicles is 200 degrees F

Best regards,

Elie

Teutonaddict
07-30-11, 12:27 PM
My needle sits on the 1st hashmark below the halfway point on the gauge. Mine is metric and the halfway point is 105 degrees C, so the reading is 87.5 degrees Celsius. The equivalent position of the needle on the gauge in U.S. vehicles is 200 degrees F

It's my understanding that most modern automotive temp gauges aren't thermometers after all, but rather a three-way (think traffic signal) indicator, that's center-weighted. As long as temps are in the normal range, it shows middle readings. Only when they exceed some threshold do they show in the red. At least I know that was the case in my E39 M5. A senior factory tech in Spartanburg explained to me that it's to keep customers from thinking something's wrong and making unnecessary trips to the dealer. Kinda like the extinction of oil dipsticks and the advent of TPMS. Engineer it for the least common denominator!

garfin
07-30-11, 01:50 PM
It's my understanding that most modern automotive temp gauges aren't thermometers after all, but rather a three-way (think traffic signal) indicator, that's center-weighted. As long as temps are in the normal range, it shows middle readings. Only when they exceed some threshold do they show in the red. At least I know that was the case in my E39 M5. A senior factory tech in Spartanburg explained to me that it's to keep customers from thinking something's wrong and making unnecessary trips to the dealer. Kinda like the extinction of oil dipsticks and the advent of TPMS. Engineer it for the least common denominator!

Yes... I know that GM adopted this approach for MY 1999 (at least with Camaros and Firebirds). The 98s had very accurate temperature gauges, but the gauges on the 99s definitely behaved as you are describing above! I remember at the time that a lot of people were upset over this when they discovered that their gauges were not terribly accurate.

Best regards,

Elie