: Playing music through bluetooth phone

Mystical_Ice
07-28-11, 02:37 PM
Searched (briefly) and can't figure out how to do this. I have my phone connected via bluetooth in my 09 to make/receive phone calls, but can't figure out how to play music through it. All my other cars i have the ability to play music via bluetooth - do these cars have it/

CTSVeee
07-28-11, 04:25 PM
Sorry Mystical, the stock head unit is unable to play streaming audio.

thebigjimsho
07-28-11, 06:38 PM
Yep, there is Bluetooth and then Bluetooth Audio. We have regular Bluetooth. The only way to play off your phone/storage device is via aux or USB...

zinner
07-28-11, 07:22 PM
yeah i would really like that as well.

Wayne5w
07-28-11, 09:19 PM
I had the same issue with my BMW and now with my 2011 V Sedan (V2 is 10 times more car than BMW btw).

The way I solved this for both was to use the Bluetooth Audio Gateway from Rim. This is a small device that plugs into your aux port. It allows you to stream audio (music, pod casts, etc) and the phone will automatically cut out when you have a phone call, then automatically the streaming audio will begin again when the call ends. Costs $50 and has been bulletproof for me for last 3 years. I've also got one on my stereo in the house so when I get home and walk in the house the same song that was playing in the car is automatically playing in the house.

Regards,
---Wayne.

thebigjimsho
07-28-11, 11:55 PM
Sounds good. I'll have to try that...

translux
07-29-11, 12:23 AM
I have thought about grabbing one of these and now sounds like a good time.
This is the one? Man that thing is small!
Does the audio work over the USB cable or do you still need mini jack?
Could cancel my Xm subscription in the car and use my Sirius streaming from the phone.
Also could listen to my favorite streaming radio station www.radioparadise.com with out hooking up the
Headphone jack.
Looks like it works with just about any phone.
I'll grab one and report back on how it works with my HTC EVO.
http://store.androidcentral.com/blackberry-music-gateway/9A172A3579.htm

deckofficer
07-29-11, 12:31 AM
I'm newer old school on this one. iphone and a cigar lighter plug and cable and plug for the iphone and works in old and new cars because built into the cigar plug is an FM stereo transmitter with 4 selectable frequencies and USB port on the side for charging the devices. $21.95

thebigjimsho
07-29-11, 08:07 AM
I have thought about grabbing one of these and now sounds like a good time.
This is the one? Man that thing is small!
Does the audio work over the USB cable or do you still need mini jack?
Could cancel my Xm subscription in the car and use my Sirius streaming from the phone.
Also could listen to my favorite streaming radio station www.radioparadise.com (http://www.radioparadise.com) with out hooking up the
Headphone jack.
Looks like it works with just about any phone.
I'll grab one and report back on how it works with my HTC EVO.
http://store.androidcentral.com/blackberry-music-gateway/9A172A3579.htmI have an Evo as well. Keep us abreast. A breast?

Wayne5w
07-29-11, 01:30 PM
Translux,

Yep, that's the unit. Works great.

>>Does the audio work over the USB cable or do you still need mini jack?

You plug the gateway into your aux port mini jack (in your center glove compartment) so your USB port is still open for something else.

>>Could cancel my Xm subscription in the car and use my Sirius streaming from the phone.

I did the same thing. All I listen to is streaming from internet on my phone, plus recorded music and podcasts on my phone. The two things I like most about this are - #1 I don't ever have to plug anything in at home or in the car but I can listen to all my stuff. #2 when I am in the car the streaming is paused when I take a phone call and then seamlessly begins again.

>>Looks like it works with just about any phone.

I've only used it with 3 models of blackberry but it's standard bluetooth so is suppsoed to work with any bluetooth phone.

One other point. You'll need a cheapo DC power adapter so you can plug into the cig lighter (also in your center glove box along with the aux mini jack) to power the gateway. The adapter needs to have a standard USB connector as that is what the gateway needs.

I hope you like it, I know it's been bulletproof for me.

Regards,
---Wayne.

Mystical_Ice
07-30-11, 12:28 AM
I'm going to give that a try. I'm a HUGE fan of streaming music through bluetooth...

thebigjimsho
07-30-11, 03:23 PM
I do that quite a bit in my Town Car with my aftermarket Pioneer nav system...

nepatriot
03-13-12, 02:45 PM
Do you guys think it would be possible to simply use a usb to bluetooth connector directly?
That is without using the audio in jack.
Something like this... (http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Bluetooth-Micro-Adapter-GBU421WM/dp/B006P18W58/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)

Also with using the BlackBerry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway - where are you drawing your power from? the front cigarette lighter and sneaking the wire into the back?

tabio42
03-21-12, 07:32 AM
Doesn't the usb port in the glove box provide 5v power? Go usb to mini usb to power the rim device?

Royalton
07-27-12, 08:45 PM
I am completely shocked that our top of the line car can't stream music via bluetooth..... are you for real? what is going on here? my friend has a 10k throw away car and can stream audio via bluetooth.????

my jaw is literately still wide open as I write this.

arrrrrrrr! :( ok so whats the best work around? the blackberry unit above? 07-09 do not have the usb port in the glovebox, 10+ does. So I would have to buy a bluetooth transmitter box, plug it into a cigarette lighter, then buy a 3.5 to rca cable and plug it into the rear side of my center consol, and put my radio to aux?? is this correct? has anyone done this?

oh and Dear Cadillac & GM..... next time you design a car, please go spend a day driving 10 crappy cheap cars (kia, dawoo, handai etc.) ..... EVERYTHING they have, better be in our 80k Escalade.... end of story

Royalton
07-27-12, 09:04 PM
sorry delete wrong section but same issue ;)

dqw1
07-28-12, 02:05 PM
Well, I just downloaded Pandora and hooked up my iphone using the car's audio cable and it works perfectly. It would be nice to stream the audio from bluetooth but this works pretty good.

RippyPartsDept
07-28-12, 02:57 PM
i think the newest models with the CUE infotainment have a2dp bluetooth streaming

Zhariak
07-28-12, 04:00 PM
i think the newest models with the CUE infotainment have a2dp bluetooth streaming

In a super awesome world far far away, Cadillac would be awesome if they released a firmware update that enabled this...

1997BlackETC
07-28-12, 04:49 PM
Don't feel bad guys, I just bought a brand new 2012 chevy colorado the past march and of course you cannot stream music through bluetooth with it either and then to add insult to injury there is not ever a 3.5MM jack to input the phones music. I plan on changing out the stock unit for a aftermarket cd player, that will solve that problem.

RippyPartsDept
07-28-12, 06:17 PM
I don't think a2dp can be added with software. I think there's a hardware component or chip that's needed.

thebigjimsho
07-28-12, 07:32 PM
I am completely shocked that our top of the line car can't stream music via bluetooth..... are you for real? what is going on here? my friend has a 10k throw away car and can stream audio via bluetooth.????

my jaw is literately still wide open as I write this.

arrrrrrrr! :( ok so whats the best work around? the blackberry unit above? 07-09 do not have the usb port in the glovebox, 10+ does. So I would have to buy a bluetooth transmitter box, plug it into a cigarette lighter, then buy a 3.5 to rca cable and plug it into the rear side of my center consol, and put my radio to aux?? is this correct? has anyone done this?

oh and Dear Cadillac & GM..... next time you design a car, please go spend a day driving 10 crappy cheap cars (kia, dawoo, handai etc.) ..... EVERYTHING they have, better be in our 80k Escalade.... end of storyDid those cars have this option in 2008?

Zhariak
07-28-12, 09:57 PM
I don't think a2dp can be added with software. I think there's a hardware component or chip that's needed.

As far as generic Bluetooth support goes, that requires hardware: the bluetooth radio itself...

As for all the types of Bluetooth features (these are called Bluetooth profiles in technical terms), these are all software and just require code (headset, stereo audio, contact transferring, file transferring, etc...). This is one of the reasons why I don't know why they don't have it, or offer a simple firmware upgrade.

How sick would that be if one day if Cadillac/GM announced support for a new feature for the Cadillac you already purchased and paid for (and were satisfied with) and were able to offer/install it at no cost (maybe they could throw it in a Map DVD update, or just flash your NAV unit on your next service visit).

RippyPartsDept
07-29-12, 12:13 AM
You may be right. And as far as I know what you're hoping for is becoming a reality with the new models.