: Cassette playe problems on my 1995 . . . .

Aron9000
07-28-11, 02:47 AM
So I've been using my tape player to hook up my mp3 player. Using one of those cassette adapters of course, that have no actual tape in them.

My problem lately has been the auto reverse feature on the tape player will switch directions for about a second, then switch back to the way it was orignally playing, interrupting the music for a couple of seconds. It'll do this 2 or 3 times over a 10 minute period, then spit the tape back out. I'll put the tape back in and it'll spit it back out again. WTF??

Any ideas on what could be wrong? Is there a certain brand tape adapter that works better and avoids this problem? I've never cleaned the cassette player on this car either, not sure what exactly I should buy to do that.

csbuckn
07-28-11, 08:59 AM
Doesnt the auto reverse kick in after it meets some type of resistance? Does the tape adapter actually turn? Might have to listen to a regular cassette to narrow down the problem.

CADforce69
07-28-11, 10:49 AM
Same problem in my other car with one of these cassette adapters. When your auto reverse tape player notices some resistance -As a matter of fact my made in China adapter blocks sometimes in one of the directions- it considers the end of the tape face has come, so it tries to change direction. I simply did not use this device but you may try to oil the cassette adapter little cogs (just a small oil drop) to make movement easier.

Aron9000
07-29-11, 02:36 AM
^ Good idea on the oiling the cassette adapter. What sort of oil should I use??

CADforce69
07-29-11, 07:39 AM
I think any kind of oil could be ok (engine oil for example). The least thick it is, the most it will penetrate into the cogs.

Cadillacboy
07-30-11, 02:49 PM
I do use Philips adapter on our ride and runs fine , you don't need to turn on radio which is good :D

sven914
07-30-11, 03:04 PM
WD40 is safe in electronics...

brougham
07-30-11, 06:07 PM
Any plain household oil will do for it. It might not make a difference. Some radios are more sensitive then others for those adapters. If you can put it in the tape player upside down it sounds strange but that might be enough to make it work.

Aron9000
08-10-11, 09:23 PM
Well I broke out my cassette collection lol. Player works fine, listened to all 3 of my tapes, Phil Collins No Jacket Required, Huey Lewis and the News Small World, and Fore!

Guess I'll try a different cassette adapter. I tried taking apart the one I had and oiled it with WD 40, made no difference.

Just as a side note, how hard would it be to put a CD/Tape deck out of a 96 Fleetwood in my 95? That year they got rid of the stupid push button equilizer and just gave you bass and treble knobs. I've also heard that you can wire up an MP3 hookup through the CD changer input on the back of the headunit. I might just do that if I knew how to do it and quit using that silly tape adapter.

jayoldschool
08-10-11, 09:39 PM
How about opening your cassette adapter and completely removing the cog wheels? No resistance at all then...

MoistCabbage
08-10-11, 11:48 PM
One cog turns the other, depending on direction of play. If both aren't turning, the deck will eject the tape (with most players).

I've had good luck with Phillips and Maxell. Monster audio makes one, $40, sounds muddy, don't bother. Make sure the wire isn't binding or pulling, that can cause the tape to switch sides and/or eject. It can also cause the head to be out of alignment and give you bad sound, or sound on one side only. You can also try sticking your pinky finger into the deck and pushing the tape down gently, to make sure it is fully seated.