: A Week In My V (and what I learned...)

thebigjimsho
07-27-11, 11:19 PM
OK, clownbots. I had an interesting week attending the SHO National Owners Convention. Had some great times and learned some things about my V.

I hate the mileage of the V. Not the mpg, but the miles per tank. I needed 3 tanks just to get to Charlotte from MA. Add about 5 tanks while there(some traveling to and from Chimney Rock, then to VIR then to Rockingham and then to Tail of the Dragon) and then another 3 home. I don't have the final tally but I know I spent at least $700 in gas. Not a big deal but it really gets annoying stopping every 3.5 hours for gas.

My vibration is definitely a wheel. My dealer found my RR rim to be off a little and when at VIR I noticed no vibration with my TSW Nurburgrings and Hankook z214 slicks. I'll need to get that straightened pretty soon. I'll see if my tire/wheel insurance will cover that.

I was able to make my differential overheat. On my 3rd of 5 sessions, I saw the light. My last 2 sessions were shortened by technical difficulty(explained later) and then a blown engine by an SHO on the last session. Those lasted about 12-15 minutes each so I was still able to have my fun.

So, about my technical difficulty. Pay attention all ye who want a modded hood and/or underbody diffusers. So on my 4th session, my passenger is taking in the blurry sights. He's commenting on the powerful brakes. Then, he asks if my hood is supposed to flutter like that. I see nothing and put the thought on the back burner. As I round the Oak Tree at VIR, I pass an older SHO and get up to 110+mph. Then I see my hood fluttering about 1/4 - 1/2" at the base of the windshield! I know the hood is latched. So I bring it back down and take it easy out of Hog Pen and pit in. Explaining to the crew why I'm in it's explained to me that my underbody plastic tray is hanging down. WTP00P? Sure enough, I get underneath and it's only attached to the front splitter. every other pushpin is gone. 8 of them, I think! One of the SHO guys has an assortment of them and that works for all but 2 spots. Zipties take care of the last 2 spots. Aerodynamics on this car is nothing to mess with unless you know parts have been tested! That tray hanging down allowed airflow up around the engine block and through the back of the hood. It was fluttering up to 1/2" and when I tried to show people where it was moving, by hand, I could maybe move it 1/10". That means there was a boatload of force running underneath. Are you sure you guys want to mess with that with custom hoods and diffusers???

My stock mufflers have gotten LOUD with Kooks headers. I wonder how much louder it can get. I might have to replace the mufflers in a couple of years, lulz.

Hankook V12 evos don't launch well. At least not as well as the PS2. At the Tail of the Dragon, they did OK but I'd like more control than the squishy sidewalls can provide. And they howled a bit at the limit. That's not bad, but it was louder than I needed. Max grip is still good but the lack of control was playing games with my Stabilitrak. Oh yeah, the launching was being done at Rockingham Dragway. The owner has an '09 V himself. We got to run together. His launch was much better but once underway we were DEAD even. Turns out we had almost the exact same mods exact he had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S to my Hankooks and he had a full Kooks exhaust with mufflers. We both had 10% harmonic balancer Lingenfelter pulleys and intake tubes. Nice guy. Not on the forums, though.

At VIR, not only did I run 275/35 18 Hankook z214 c91 slicks at all corners on the V(strong tire with great wear characteristics) and Hawk DTC-70/60 pads. 70s for the front and 60s for the rear. I am mixed on these pads. They are great pads. But I had Hawk Blues on my '04 and the stopping power was great. I also liked their pedal feel. With the DTCs, the pedal travel is greater. At first I was wondering if my brakes were well bled(I did them myself) but they were flawless all day. No fade and no change in pedal feel all day long. I just needed to learn to get comfortable with the longer pedal travel. It's not bad, just different. Overall, it seems like a great track pad and if they're anything like the Blues, the pad and subsequent rotor life should be excellent. I didn't bed my DTC-30s(I use for the street) when I put those back on and I should've. I got some pulsing until after the Tail of the Dragon. The brakes are fine again.

I think my g meter now says 1.30 <---- g ----> 1.42

I had a blast with the SHO guys. They love their SHOs but are enthusiastic about the V. I just love the fact I can drive down and all around the Carolinas, track the V at fast VIR in 95 degree heat and then travel back home in comfort without issue. Except a coolant hose that somehow got rerouted on the wrong side of the throttle body and was gouged a bit by the pulley. So I need to replace that. And while my oil level is good, I need to check the oil pan to see if it's staying dry.

Anything I forgot I'll try to add to this thread...

cbloveday
07-27-11, 11:28 PM
Nice write up and enjoyed the read. I particularly found the hood story of interest. Do you know why the splash shield came undone?

I have been to the track repeatedly and it is still as tight as my butt cheeks.

deckofficer
07-27-11, 11:39 PM
Good read Jimsho, and now I'm convinced that today's Caddy owner is NOT yesterdays owner. Been getting an education on this forum by doing more lurking than posting. You wonder, with how windy I am posting, if that is even possible. The pulley changes are always going to be popular on blown cars, but these guys are going to some of the best engine builders in the country for the full 9 yards. I will not be modding at all, have other rides that take that sort of self imposed R & D. But track days are another thing. I always like to slowly push any car I own to its limits just so I know what I can get away with in an emergency situation. With this V and the Track-T, finding these limits, even on a deserted mountain road is just a bit too hairy for me. Case in point, my 92 year old Dad's 2007 Mustang can pull 0.88 G constant (all constant as in skid pad, I know the other reading one can get a good spike to talk about), 0.92G in my older Corvette, 1.04 in the Track-T but more was available but I'm too chicken to find out on a public road. Can you fill me in on Track Days at western tracks, and what is required for tech inspection for the V. I haven't found a track that we let me run the T.

thebigjimsho
07-27-11, 11:43 PM
Most tracks I've run have little restriction. It's mostly in the insurance of the groups you run with. For most, a car in good working order and all safety equipment functioning is all you need. That and long sleeve clothing and a newer helmet...

cbloveday
07-27-11, 11:44 PM
........and a few pairs of underwear.......

thebigjimsho
07-27-11, 11:45 PM
Nice write up and enjoyed the read. I particularly found the hood story of interest. Do you know why the splash shield came undone?

I have been to the track repeatedly and it is still as tight as my butt cheeks.I've had a couple dealers under the car. I think I may have had one pin loose or missing previously but last I had seen all others were intact. 2 of the holes that I had ziptied had larger openings for a pushpin and washer. The zipties are plenty tight and I'll leave it like it is for awhile. The amount of force needed to make the hood move that much is impressive. And that I had that much flowing from something so simple is even moreso...

neuronbob
07-28-11, 06:47 AM
Great writeup! Now I know what to look for if my hood starts to vibrate/flutter.

Glad you had a great trip, wish I had time to do the same.

garfin
07-28-11, 08:08 AM
Excellent and informative report with some very useful observations and comments! Glad you had a great time - it sounds like the SHO boys still put on a great event! Gotta love those G-meter readings!!
One of these days, I gotta do that Tail of the Dragon run as well...
Thanks for taking the time to make that post!

Best regards,

Elie

Domsz06
07-28-11, 08:16 AM
Nice write up Jimbo.

I too have had the under tray issues you have had, and I had just pulled the bumper off. It looks like that if you remove the bumper and then put it back on you had better use all new pushpins. I'm now trying to track down the fender wells so I can put them all back in.

Mine came off when I ran a bike to 150. Lot of force coming up and around. Bad thing about it is I can't find the new part anywhere (fenderwell) Well I have one, passenger side I believe but my part guy says there isn't a drivers side in the entire US. Come on GM, get it together.

JimmyH
07-28-11, 05:55 PM
Are you sure you guys want to mess with that with custom hoods and diffusers???

exacatackly

Bushidopupil
07-28-11, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the great, informative write up.

mastequila
07-28-11, 09:11 PM
I wonder what the V racing schools have learned. Those tracks that have V's on hand for racing must have seen some of the same things. Wonder what they do to keep their fleet of cars running. Great write-up. I'm about a year away from joining the mod-squad and tracking this beast.

Razorecko
07-28-11, 10:55 PM
Actually its not really suprising about the hood. If you look at the top of the hood near the windshield it is blocked off tight all around. Most cars have gaping that allows air out. My guess is GM did this to keep the noise level down. If the V had an aftermarket hood with decent sized vents this hood flex would have never occured. Although in your case its a good thing it did. Better than having the undertray rip apart and cause unknown damage

thebigjimsho
07-28-11, 11:01 PM
Overall, the V ran like a champ. Any issue was not mechanical and, like my '04, I was able to wring it out and drive home in comfort. Unfortunately, for my friend in his '10 SHO, he was not able to. Last year at Waterford Hills, his direct injection pump was acting up. Ford really stepped up(they helped a lot in having a great event at their headquarters in Dearborn) and got an engineer out to help him and he was running quickly again. This year, his trans p00ped the bed. Not sure if it's fatal, but it was inoperable.

I'm still waiting to hear from him about what's going on. He trailered his car, though, so getting home was not an issue...

NC_Cadzilla
07-29-11, 07:51 AM
700 bucks in gas.. That must have been why the stock prices for the oil companies was pretty good those couple of days :)

JimmyH
07-29-11, 07:58 AM
If the V had an aftermarket hood with decent sized vents this hood flex would have never occured.

Those would have to be HUGE vents to equal the air rushing in from under the car.

thebigjimsho
07-29-11, 10:34 PM
I keep forgetting to call Luke for that coolant hose and V specific(lulz) pushpins. The coolant hose is part of an elaborate setup that GM sells as a single part. So I have to get multiple hoses, connectors, etc. $154. oof.

Razorecko
07-29-11, 10:52 PM
I noticed that too. What is going on with GM and selling things as "whole packages" now instead of individual parts ?

thebigjimsho
07-30-11, 02:19 PM
I noticed that too. What is going on with GM and selling things as "whole packages" now instead of individual parts ?Yeah, I want to say it's just a hose. I know it's not, but I'd love to find a different way of replacing it...

thebigjimsho
08-08-11, 07:46 PM
So something else I failed to mention.

I ran VIR in my '04 and had no problems with my TPMS and losing signal while out on the track with track wheels. This time, my '09 would start to blink that it was losing my TPMS signal and would show Service TPMS on the dash. This would also cause me to lose power if I started to lose a little traction. I didn't notice this early, but on the last few runs. I never got to play with the different Stabilitrak modes to see if I could override the system.

So does anyone have a how-to or ideas to not have this be an issue on larger tracks?

CTSVKINGWAGON
08-08-11, 08:27 PM
Good read Jimsho, and now I'm convinced that today's Caddy owner is NOT yesterdays owner. Been getting an education on this forum by doing more lurking than posting. You wonder, with how windy I am posting, if that is even possible. The pulley changes are always going to be popular on blown cars, but these guys are going to some of the best engine builders in the country for the full 9 yards. I will not be modding at all, have other rides that take that sort of self imposed R & D. But track days are another thing. I always like to slowly push any car I own to its limits just so I know what I can get away with in an emergency situation. With this V and the Track-T, finding these limits, even on a deserted mountain road is just a bit too hairy for me. Case in point, my 92 year old Dad's 2007 Mustang can pull 0.88 G constant (all constant as in skid pad, I know the other reading one can get a good spike to talk about), 0.92G in my older Corvette, 1.04 in the Track-T but more was available but I'm too chicken to find out on a public road. Can you fill me in on Track Days at western tracks, and what is required for tech inspection for the V. I haven't found a track that we let me run the T.

What is a Track-T?

MReiland
08-09-11, 06:23 AM
Nice write up Jimbo.

I too have had the under tray issues you have had, and I had just pulled the bumper off. It looks like that if you remove the bumper and then put it back on you had better use all new pushpins. I'm now trying to track down the fender wells so I can put them all back in.

Mine came off when I ran a bike to 150. Lot of force coming up and around. Bad thing about it is I can't find the new part anywhere (fenderwell) Well I have one, passenger side I believe but my part guy says there isn't a drivers side in the entire US. Come on GM, get it together.

Do you have a part number, I can give it to the parts Guru to track down....

thebigjimsho
08-14-11, 05:34 PM
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22963540/398095248.jpg

thebigjimsho
08-20-11, 12:43 PM
Sorry, I failed to show my photos of the Tail. They've been in the Lounge because I care about them, not you. j/k...

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22963540/398095041.jpg

thebigjimsho
08-20-11, 12:43 PM
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22963540/398095116.jpg

thebigjimsho
08-20-11, 12:44 PM
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22963540/398095083.jpg

thebigjimsho
08-20-11, 12:45 PM
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22963540/398095093.jpg

thebigjimsho
08-20-11, 12:45 PM
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22963540/398095168.jpg

thebigjimsho
08-20-11, 12:46 PM
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22963540/398095189.jpg

thebigjimsho
08-20-11, 12:47 PM
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/22963540/398095150.jpg

smackdownCTSV
08-20-11, 01:17 PM
It looks like the wheel is bulging out of the tire.

thebigjimsho
08-20-11, 08:14 PM
They do. Stock sizes, though. The higher res pic of the 3rd from the bottom shows the sidewalls bulging on compression. It's a cool shot...

b4z
08-21-11, 03:08 PM
How did the V do on the Dragon? The turns are so tight can I assume there was a good bit of understeer? My GTO loves to push onn the Dragon.

b4z
08-21-11, 03:10 PM
How did the V do on the Dragon? The turns are so tight can I assume there was a good bit of understeer? My GTO loves to push onn the Dragon.

I'm the silver car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es9O-p2pzpc

thebigjimsho
08-21-11, 05:28 PM
Yeah, it did want to understeer a little. Not too much, though...