: New Hood, the good and bad

qictrk
07-27-11, 10:50 PM
Here is the new hood that I finally got from D3. I also picked up 590 rwhp and 600 torque from them. I'm also showing my new wheels, but not from them. If you want to see more pictures go to my web site in my signiture. The good: I like D3's work and fit and finish on the hood is very good for fiberglass. The bad: They told me it would take about 3 weeks when they started, it took 3 months. I found out that the hood was
their first one and thats why the delay. If they would only be up front and tell me its new and expect some delays, at least I would know and I wouldn't have to call every week and ask them what the hell is going on. For the delay they are going to throw in their rear blade spoiler when in comes in, we'll see. But, I think if I'm the first one to weather something like this they should have given at least 1/2 off on the hood.
They asked me not to mention the price(it might change), and I said I wouldn't. Cecil.................

cbloveday
07-27-11, 10:53 PM
Cecil, that is beautiful. Does it have water routing feature?

If you got it from D3, I am sure it cost more than the spectre werkes one.

Razorecko
07-27-11, 10:58 PM
That is a beautiful hood. I 100% agree with you that they should have given you 50% off. That is a ridiculous amount of time. They seem like they need to get their act togethor.

cbloveday
07-27-11, 11:00 PM
Let me know if you get caught out in a rain storm, how it well it routes the water away from the engine compartment.

Also interested in knowing if they can ship the hood or does the vehicle have to be at their shop.

Perdition
07-27-11, 11:07 PM
When is Halltech's version of this hood coming out?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/04/08cadillaccts-vworldchallenge.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/04/2011ctsvlongbeach32.jpg
http://www.tunner.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/2011-Cadillac-CTS-V-Coupe-Racecar-Top-View.jpg

cbloveday
07-27-11, 11:20 PM
The only other hood I have seen that I like better is this one. One would think with the side hood vents, it may extract heat even better.
Perhaps a combination of the 2 designs would be ideal. IDK

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x99/cbloveday_bucket/Aerocarbonhood.jpg

Regardless, very very nice.

thebigjimsho
07-27-11, 11:29 PM
Sorry, not a fan...

http://www.toplessrobot.com/st3-klingons.jpg

qictrk
07-27-11, 11:35 PM
Water goes straight down on the top of the engine. The SC, to be exact. I guess my engine will be clean if I throw a little Tide on top of the engine before a rain storm. Cecil.........

cbloveday
07-27-11, 11:41 PM
OK, that I do not like. I drive mine daily in all conditions.

thatcoder
07-28-11, 12:22 AM
for the aesthetics and time it took, it should have been free.

that is one ugly looking hood.

Junkie414
07-28-11, 02:31 AM
Louvers on the top should be flush with the existing cowl IMO, and it should have some small ones on the side as well. I had high hopes but I wouldnt order that. Also for testing out or letting them use your car for R&D you should have received a huge price cut

Caddy Wagon
07-28-11, 04:51 AM
OK, that I do not like. I drive mine daily in all conditions.

x2. It looks like good craftsmanship, but I'm not a fan of their design.

I do like the wheels!

haterinc
07-28-11, 07:27 AM
Thanks for keeping me updated man. That hood goes well with your theme considering your rims look tuneresque. It's a little more aggressive than mine as mine is more muscular and subtle but I like it. Sorry it took so long but you have some great HP numbers so roll the wheels off of it and love every minute of it.

Question though... how much taller than stock is the dome over the sc pulley?

killer67
07-28-11, 01:42 PM
Wheels look awesome, but you gotta drop it :yup:

Halltech
07-28-11, 05:16 PM
We are marketing some carbon fiber parts for Pratt and Miller, and met with them last month to get this hood going. It would be made with the same mold as they use for the CTS-VR. We would need to get a version with mounting brackets, since
mounting with the hood pins, would not work on the street. There is a question of fitment as well since the hood design with the louvers might run interference with the motor since their version is over a n/a motor that sits very low in the frame.

We will know if this is a go very soon.

Jim Hall

Florian
07-28-11, 06:05 PM
eye bleach, please.

F

neuronbob
07-28-11, 07:41 PM
That hood is certainly attention-getting, that's for sure. Looks well-built, though.

qictrk
07-28-11, 11:22 PM
eye bleach, please.

F
Wait till you see the engine in about a month. Must be some ghetto blood in me. :lol: Cecil.......

cbloveday
07-28-11, 11:55 PM
Look forward to seeing your work :)

BLEWBYUWIT6.2
07-29-11, 07:46 AM
Im not feeling the hood...the louvers just remind me to much of a honda....but then again im sure the engine will remind me its not

Florian
07-29-11, 10:12 AM
Wait till you see the engine in about a month. Must be some ghetto blood in me. :lol: Cecil.......

Cecil, just bustin balls....youve done a great job on your V....Im envious.

F

dhpro
07-31-11, 08:06 AM
I kinda like it! That said I definitely wudnt have put up with the delay and being RnD ride without a huge price break! Usually when aftermarket guys do that they give you the parts for free or close enuf. Also, sorry to say I'm not a fan of not having drip pans. U really don't want water dripping onto the motor, coils, pulleys...etc (how do u wash it). Seems to me its not that much extra design work to add pans. I did a custom hood on my truck with extractors and pans and it was actually pretty easy. All u need is half inch gap to be effective and every additional sixteenth compounds the extraction potential. I've been looking at both the D3 and Spectre pieces and I'll sit tight until I see reviews of both of their performance, but more importantly how well both treat their customers.